Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hvac/climate controls from newer vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7l L98
Hvac/climate controls from newer vehicles?

I was curious if anybody has ever tried this.
Basically just removing the unit from say my 89 trans am, and installing something much more advanced and new like say something from This Audi. Not necessarily this particular one, but something along this idea.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....di-S4-HVAC.JPG
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A6-MK...item3a7a895467

I personally think the old school hvac would be a cool thing to replace. Obviously there will be some wiring involved and maybe some new parts. but im curious if this is even possible. Or does the computer run all of that stuff in modern vehicles.
And if it does run by a computer, is it possible to have one done up to perform the simple tasks of climate controls?

I would need to find one that will only fit a Single din spot, just like the original/or modify the mounting brackets obviously

Last edited by gu1tarjunk1e; 12-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 AM

Car: 85 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L LS
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Hvac/climate controls from newer vehicles?

Wont work, All newer vehicles are computer controlled with many sensors and electric motors.

I mean anythings possible. But it would NOT be a simple swap.

(Your car runs on vacuum actuators if it has A/C, manual cables if it doesnt... I think)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

(Your car runs on vacuum actuators if it has A/C, manual cables if it doesnt... I think)[/QUOTE]

Correct.

There are many newer are that still use vacuum for the vent controls, even some of the electronic climate control cars just use electrics to control the vaccum, so there are possibilities out there. However, unless this is also part of a dash swap you are going to be very limited by what fits in the stock location and works with the vacuum system.
If you have a non ac car, you need the WHOLE system because your cable control isn't going to work with anything else.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Car: 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z/Z28
Engine: 5.7L/350 cu. in. V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt 2.77 posi

Does anyone know of a good place that can rebuild the climate control system (w/AC) for my 1989 Camaro IROC-Z/Z28 or know of a source of a NOS unit? I am having no luck finding anything on ebay, Classic Industries, Hemmings, etc. All the used ones I find are broken.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4gen 3.23 PBR

I would like to also update hvac controls. Here the link from other forums I found.
https://sites.google.com/site/darbys...-hvac-controls
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

How are you going to fit all that in the dash? The factory didn't even have room for a glovebox.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

There's no reason why someone with the fabrication and electronics skills couldn't adapt electronic controls to the existing HVAC unit. GM's latest HVAC controls(97 and up?) utilize no vacuum controls and rely instead on electric actuator units to control the blend door or mix door(temp control), mode door assembly(sometimes using two separate actuators), recirculation door(AC only).

Done properly, the existing unit's blend, mode and recirc doors could be adapted to use these actuators. Be aware that modern HVAC controlscommunicate with the vehicle's PCM, by way of the vehicle's data bus, for coolant temp input and AC compressor control. To make these units work on the 3rd gen, this function would have to be adapted. The systems I diagnose and repair all seem to work even with communication DTCs, so I don't think not having the unit connected to the correct vehicle's data bus would be an issue. You just have to be sure that the control head will operate the compressor relay okay by way of a home made piggy back controller.

Of the newer systems available, I would recommend those that use a 5 pin actuator. These actuators have a built in position sensor and seem to have less trouble. Others use a 2 pin actuator that relies on adaptive memory of the module for door position according to control position. With these I see broken doors from the actuators doing their "stop to stop" adaptive relearn function and I also see poor heating and cooling performance from the module losing it's adaptive memory.

In general, the biggest issue with all of the electronic HVAC controls is the actuators. If you go this route, be prepared to eventually go back in to replace failing actuators. These parts are not cheap either.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by GraigMuller
Does anyone know of a good place that can rebuild the climate control system (w/AC) for my 1989 Camaro IROC-Z/Z28 or know of a source of a NOS unit? I am having no luck finding anything on ebay, Classic Industries, Hemmings, etc. All the used ones I find are broken.
I bought my Camaro new in 1992. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th climate control unit. They seem to only last about 3 or 4 years, then the air leak sounds start, and air only comes out of defroster , doesnt change over .

I will be on my 6th one this spring. Im very gentle with the sliders too, and they still dont last. There goes another hundred bucks.