Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

gas gauge help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro SC
Engine: 2.8L V6
gas gauge help

I need help with my Gas Gauge. The thing was working perfectly fine until I installed LED lights behind the gauges on my 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe. I spun the needle a few times on accident and removed it from the cluster a few times for ease of access. Now the gas gauge is actually empty just before half a tank and full about 1/2 a tank after "Full", in the black area. Do I just buy a new gas gauge and plug it right in or will I need to get the gauge calibrated? It doesn't matter where I set the needle to, whether the car is off or on or the gas gauge in or out. It will always start at the same spot it did before I try to reboot it. Different amounts of gas will predict where it starts ofc, as it works but starts in the wrong area.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM

Re: gas gauge help

im in same boat bro....since installing led in dash last week,but mine is stick beyond past full!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cheeto
im in same boat bro....since installing led in dash last week,but mine is stick beyond past full!
Wow that's just not a day right there lol. We need some help!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

but mine is stick beyond past full!
If you take a perfectly good fuel gauge system and disconnect the voltage wire - or the ground wire - the gauge will shoot past full when the key is turned to RUN.

It sounds as if there is a break in the connection somewhere; could be the PINK wire (variable voltage) from pick-up, the black wire (ground), a connecting point ( plugs/connectors ) and very possibly; the clusters printed circuit has failed. This is becoming very common problem with 25+ Y/O printed circuits. If you install the wrong replacement printed circuit ( or cluster ) there will be warning light and backlighing problems. Camaro Printed circuits / Clusters are compatible from 82-84,... then from 85-89.

just buy a new gas gauge and plug it right in or will I need to get the gauge calibrated?
Installing a replacement gauge is a Plug-&-Play install,... no calibration needed.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by John in RI
If you take a perfectly good fuel gauge system and disconnect the voltage wire - or the ground wire - the gauge will shoot past full when the key is turned to RUN.

It sounds as if there is a break in the connection somewhere; could be the PINK wire (variable voltage) from pick-up, the black wire (ground), a connecting point ( plugs/connectors ) and very possibly; the clusters printed circuit has failed. This is becoming very common problem with 25+ Y/O printed circuits. If you install the wrong replacement printed circuit ( or cluster ) there will be warning light and backlighing problems. Camaro Printed circuits / Clusters are compatible from 82-84,... then from 85-89.

Installing a replacement gauge is a Plug-&-Play install,... no calibration needed.

Does my problem sound like the symptoms of a bad ground or do you think it's just the gas gauge itself? I literally only spun the needle a fun times while not paying attention as well as removed it a few times for ease of access to the LEDs.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Your problem doesn't seem like a broken connection because you get variable readings.

If the needle was spun around or removed from the gauge - I'd replace it 'just to be sure'.

I'm guessing your issue is related to the gauge itself or the sending unit in the tank. ( voltage seems too high across the whole range ) If possible I'd pull the gauge out and re-set it to BE SURE that it was properly installed on inside the cluster. I ASSUME it's possible that it could be caused by a failing printed circuit on the cluster too, but would start by getting another gauge.

( no calibration needed ! )

Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

I've always heard spinning needles on gauges will mess them up, very fragile internals. I'd replace the gauge.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:28 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z28 Convertible
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI

Wow I have the same issue. I thought it was because I put a new sending unit in, but I also replaced the lights in the dash with LEDs and now it reads half when full and gets a bit more correct when I get lower. I just made it a habit of filling up often, but would love to know a fix for this. I have tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the system, still no good. Won't go above 2/3rds a tank.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's the LEDs themselves, but what you did when you changed them. I put them in and have no problem with my gas gauge. I never messed with the gauge though, just the sockets in back.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Yeah it must be the gauge because everything is working and accurate in the sense that it has an empty/full but doesn't stick. It is off by like 1/4 of a tank. I spun the needle a few times mindlessly and ended up damaging the return spring in the speedometer. I had it sent out wednesday for a full rebuild. Of course, with my luck the gas gauge was messed as well after playing with the needles. Somewhat expensive lesson learned. More feedback is gladly appreciated. Where can I get a gas gauge that will actually work other than a junkyard? None of them around here have third gens.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could probably have bought a whole cluster from one of our vendors for what you will pay for a speedo repair. Then have the spare cluster to spin the needles whenever the urge strikes you. Sorry had to say that IDKY. We all have done things that in retrospect were bad ideas. If John can't help you out with a gauge check with Beths91camaro.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z28 Convertible
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI

I didn't touch my needled at all. I just pulled the cluster out and put LEDs in and put it back.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Tag
You could probably have bought a whole cluster from one of our vendors for what you will pay for a speedo repair. Then have the spare cluster to spin the needles whenever the urge strikes you. Sorry had to say that IDKY. We all have done things that in retrospect were bad ideas. If John can't help you out with a gauge check with Beths91camaro.
Lmfao! Yeah the cluster repair is going to cost me $135 for a full rebuild. The only reason I didn't just buy a refurbished speedometer is the fact that I needed to keep the 54k miles on it. It's really one of the biggest selling points to my car.