Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

ACC rear carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
ACC rear carpet

For those that have installed ACC carpet, does the rear section need any trimming? Like the front carpet, my rear carpet looks like it needs trimming around the edges. Right now, it’s getting the brick paver treatment. It’s amazing how much more manageable the carpet is after a day or 2 in a hot Texas garage with 75+ lbs of pavers pushing down. The areas that wouldn’t lay flat are now properly molded.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 z28 camaro
Engine: 305 lg4,edelbrock,3"air cleaner.k&n
Transmission: turbo 700r4 w/b&m megashifter
Axle/Gears: Stock.
Re: ACC rear carpet

The rear carpet that I have recently fitted in my 85 camaro was too wide, as it came. I measured off my old carpet, and all the excess seemed to be on the right hand side.

When I had trimmed the new piece, I found that I had trimmed too much on the right, just where it comes off the fuel tank area to go down behind the seats. Luckily it was only a small piece, and I was able to glue a piece in, which is hidden by my amp deck.

I would suggest, that if you still have the old rear section in, then mark where the edges come to at a few points on both sides, then when you lay the new piece, make sure that the well area, is in place correctly, then see how much overhang you have, where your marks are, If you have to trim before it will sit reasonably flat, only trim small amounts at a time. easy to cut off, not so easy to fix.

The only other Issue that I had, was in the well area, on the right corner, Where I had to remove some of the jute padding, to get it to sit properly.. This is with the mass backing.

It would be nice if ACC made the carpet with all the excess on one side, but obviously there is excess on both sides.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Alicat.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: ACC rear carpet

Thanks. I wish I hadn’t thrown away my old carpet. I can see the molding lines on the mass backing, and that gives me an idea of where to cut. Also, I found a used rear carpet on eBay. The pictures also helps me decide where to cut.