Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Steering column cover & Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering column cover & Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement?

Someone broke into my '89 T/A and tried to punch/hotwire the ignition. (Of course, with VATS and a security system that's really not possible.) But that didn't stop the ignorant scum (I hate thieves) from mangling the ignition and steering column. (see photos). I do have insurance, but State Farm is clueless about a car of this vintage, so I have to do a lot of research myself (but they will probably pay someone to do the work). So I have questions about part sourcing and what exactly needs to be done.

STEERING COLUMN COVER: It looks like GM doesn't sell this part anymore. Anyone know if someone makes a reproduction? I looked at the usual suspects (Classic Ind, OER, etc) and couldn't find it. So I might have to find it at a junkyard: Since 3rd gens are rare in junkyards, anyone have any idea how ubiquitous (common) this cover was in its day? I'm guessing it was used on MANY different GM models -- probably millions of cars. Anyone know more?

[Also, I plan on replacing the other plastic piece that covers the more forward section of the steering column. It got scratched up too.]

REMOVAL: Since it looks like I might have to go find a junkyard and pull this off myself, any tips on how to remove/replace?

IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER (GM PART #26033390) Based on the photos I posted, do you think these are the only parts needed? (And I've been told GM dealer will have to cut new physical keys and measure/match VATS resistance value).

Any help or info would be much appreciated!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Re: Steering column cover & Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement?

This site here has the pics, diagrams, and even parts to repair your column.
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/
Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

I've been in this situation and just went to a salvage yard and replaced the entire column, however my car didn't have VATS so it was just a simple swap.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

I'm really having a hard time of NOT burying a 1/4 stick in my driver's seat that will go off when some a-hole tries this to mine.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Car: 90 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.54

Originally Posted by jharrison5
I've been in this situation and just went to a salvage yard and replaced the entire column, however my car didn't have VATS so it was just a simple swap.
X2 here! I went to a Pick N Pull and found a 92 bird and got complete column w/o air bag for like 45$! IMO steering columns are the biggest PITA to get apart and together its doable but if you can fine one and just put new lock in it your time ahead of the game but you should find with Vats and may need to remove air bag harness which I believe started in 1990 IIRC I have some pics on my build thread here: 1990 Formula build
I believe the aftermarket makes parts still as they're kinda universal but youwill have SO much more time in column build VS. replace it. I ended doing way more work than I originally thought because used column didn't have wiring for the cruise which my car has, anyway its done and in right after that I did a complete teardown on a 1980 column and painted it for my 69 Trans Am clone that I'm building was easier since no dimmer/wiper control on earlier column
I still hate getting into them
Old 07-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Originally Posted by zman1969
I still hate getting into them
I have torn too many '79 to '94 GM columns apart over the years to fix ignition cylinders and tilt column bolts that keep coming loose to keep track of... There are enough companies online salvaging thirdgens that a good used VATS column souldn't be that hard to find. Well unless you're looking for a VATS column out of a manual car because those a re a huge pain to find...
Old 07-20-2019, 03:57 PM

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 93 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 Street Twin
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.90

Sorry to see this. My original cylinder is beginning to stick so I went through this, that said welcome to 2019, VATS keys have been out of production for GM since the early 00s. Most dealers simply no longer have all the different keys with the correct pellets.

Take your original key, with a multi-meter measure the pellet resistance and match that to a chart with the different GM Pellet code, that corresponding number will help you order a new key. GM had several different pellets with different pellet values. The keys were originally made by Strattec for GM, there are places online that sell replacement Strattec as well as genetic key blanks, I bought a set for my GTA.

Your new ignition cylinder will come with a pre cut key blank, take this blank and your replacement keys to either a lock smith or your dealer and have the keys cut to match the blank. At this point your old ignition keys are no longer relevant as they were keyed to the old destroyed cylinder.

You can still get a new column housing, you may need to replace the turn signal switch assembly in that column though. They're all over ebay as this is a common issue.

So for a junk yard column, it would need to be a Vats column...but...

I haven't messed much with vats but I imagine the VATs module in the car would be matched to the pellet specific to that car originally, i.e #3 pellet key would match #3 vats module in the car
Because then other wise any pellet value would work so long as it was keyed to the cylinder. Also the cylinder also aren't pellet specific, they're vats specific over certain years.

So for a junk yard column...

In that case you either still most likely need to replace the cylinder and get the correct vats value key cut to the new cylinder. Or... get a new key that matches your pellet and use the original column key it came with as the reference and have new blank key with correct pelley cut to it. The age of most these columns though, its worth changing the ignition cylinder how ever. Some people also sell the Vats column with the cooresponding module from the donor vehicle.

https://www.americankeysupply.com/pr...-strattec-3133

Last edited by Neil350; 07-20-2019 at 10:07 PM.