LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Power Steering Thoughts...pressure too high?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
Power Steering Thoughts...pressure too high?

Hey everyone. Just the other day I finally got around to messing with my steering stops to keep my calipers from hitting the a-arm.

I noticed that once my knuckles hit the stops, I dont feel a "bump" in the steering wheel. In fact, I cant feel the stop at all. The wheel can still be turned. When this happens, things just flex in the steering. Obviously not good for it.

My questions/thoughts are... First, the box should have internal stops in it. I think they work in conjunction with knuckel stops. But since Im running 4th gen brakes, the stops arent being reached before the calipers are getting too close to the a-arm. Im wondering if I could tear the box down and add some stop to it. I think its just a spacer of some sort. Ive messed with Jeep steering boxes, but it was to INCREASE the travel.

Second, Ive heard serveral people complain about the LS1 power steering pump putting out too much pressure. Now, my steering feels fine. Car drives great. But if it is in fact putting out too much pressure, this would make it want to push through the stops. Where as a lower pressure pump would give up when meeting the resistance.

Any thoughts on this? I always try to not turn lock to lock...but its hard when you arent hitting the locks in the box and are relying on steering stops to keep things from turning too far.

Justin
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: Power Steering Thoughts...pressure too high?

whats flexing in your steering??

in the stock GM setup, you hit the stop on the arm, before you hit the stop on the box.

btw, nothing should be excessively flexing...... fix whatever is. my first guess would be your rag joint.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Mr. Dude...

Not 100% on whats flexing. But, when my knuckles hit the stops on the a-arms, I dont feel it in the steering wheel. I can continue to turn the wheel, and I can see the wheels moving a bit. I just assumed it was the knuckles or the linkages buckling alittle bit.

Kind of like one part giving way alittle...then another...then another... Add all those little "gives" up and it equals a lot of movement in the end. I was just thinking that since its hydraulic power that is giving the "boost" to the steering box, that it was overpowering some of the parts.

I guess I was just brainstorming, because Ive heard of people saying the pressure was too high in the LS1 pump. I for one think the steering feels great. NOTHING was re-used on that car during my build with the exception of the actual a-arms. New bushings, tie-rods, solid adjusters, idler arm, steering box, wonder bar, knuckles...everything.

HOWEVER...I didnt replace my rag joint because it was recently replaced (i.e. since Ive owned the car). I am going to check that when I get home though.. have someone turn it to lock and see if the rear half of the shaft is turning past the input to the box. That would mean the joint is giving way. I was looking for ways to use the astro van shaft...but seemed like too much work. So I might just look into spending the money on a flaming river set up. I could use the extra space down in that area anyway.

Justin
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Car: 87 formula
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5

I remember awhile back I saw someone post something on ls1tech saying that you could switch out a spring (somewhere in or around the pump I guess) for a lighter one for it to put out less pressure. You could probably find it on there with a search, sounded easy enough that you would be able to experiment with it though.

Edit: I just searched and found you telling other people about it, lol.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Haha...yeah it probably was me. Unfortunetly, I learned about it from someone that did an RX7 swap I believe. So they were going to their stock rack I think. I never got any feedback as to whether it actually works or anything. So I just sort of started looking at other things.

J.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

i know it CAN work.

but i dont know where to source a lighter spring to make it work.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Supreme Member

Exactly. Whenever I ask about it, the answer I get is "I found it at my hardware store". Haha that doesnt do me much good. Ide be willing to give it a try though because I wouldnt mind alittle more steering feedback and feel. The lightness is great for cruising, but gets alittle touchy in the twisties. We'll see.

Justin
Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 iroc-z
Engine: blown 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.10

the spring is behind the pump outlet ware the preshure lin gose in. you can take the sping out of any gm car that dose not have rack and pinion steering there is also a valve over the spring that can be changed. I got mine from the old pump of my car.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

Interesting... Didnt think to swap the spring with another pump spring from a steering box set up. I guess as long as the other pump internals are the same, it would work. Im going to try to research more about this valve and how the whole thing works. Its probably really simple. I know the valve and spring act as a pressure bleed off. Pressure gets to a certain point and then it opens allowing a bypass of fluid. So a softer spring would react at a lower pressure. Makes sense...

Justin