LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

L92/LS3 swap with t56 begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56
L92/LS3 swap with t56 begins

Well here we go again. Just ordered my cam and i'm reaching out into the clear blue yonder this time around with a custom grind that should allow me to make the most of my VVT. Going slightly against the grain here and opted for a lower duration/high lift cam. around 600 lift 222/230 114+2 so although it may not make the highest peak hp it should give me lots of freedom to play with the cam advance/retard and make a TON or power under the curve.

Planned mods so far are;

LS3 intake
Ported TB
cam listed above
PAC 1518 springs ( yeah i know I love patriot golds as much as anyone but these are apparently a little better with this cam for my needs )
Trick Flow hardened push rods

Going to run the Hawks LT's again and my current exhaust of 2.5" y into a 3" single and an Aerochamber single in/out.

Probably going to upgrade the fuel pump and try the stock L92/LS3 injectors out and go.

I also have to space out my accessory drive to clear the VVT driver so it looks like MAST performance offers a spacer kit that should work nicely with my f-body accessory drive.

Goals are around 450 to the wheels

or better

Old 02-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73
Re: L92/LS3 swap with t56 begins

Sounds promising

Could you post a link to the spacer kit for future swaps?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

NON sponsor link so I'll PM ya. If anyone wants it PM me but I just spoke with MAST five mis ago and should note that the spacer kit is only for THEIR accessories or you can buy the water pump spacer kit for $100.00 and space out your own acc drive. Not as great as I had first thought.

Learning literally by the minute here...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Darn, I guess its a few minutes with a caliper and a call to the machine shop. Do the GEN IV truck balancers have the same spacing from the block as the GEN III? Meaning .75" spacers to use Fbody accessories?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by cam-
NON sponsor link so I'll PM ya. If anyone wants it PM me but I just spoke with MAST five mis ago and should note that the spacer kit is only for THEIR accessories or you can buy the water pump spacer kit for $100.00 and space out your own acc drive. Not as great as I had first thought.

Learning literally by the minute here...

Alright not looking as bad as I may have imagined here yet again... I just checked the spacing difference between the stock LS1 accessory drive and the L92 accessory drive and the L92 runs the belt about 3/4" out further than the LS1 does. The L92 also runs the belt about 1/16" away from the edge of the water pump hubs lip. It looks to me like theres more than enough extra lip on the LS1 pumps hub to just space out the stock LS1 water pump and run the accessories in stock LS1 position and it will merely run the belt closer to the edge of the LS1 water pumps hub.

Only hitch that i can see to this plan is the VVT harness and brackets are about 1/2" away from the stock truck balancer. So if I try and put the f body LS1 balancer on I think its going to hit BUT.... if I run an underdrive pulley which are much smaller diameter I THINK it might just clear LOL yee haw!

I know that was a lot of hub this and space that to wrap your head around but I'll post pics when i actually take the stuff off and try it ( providing if it all works out ) otherwise theres really no need to elaborate further.

Stay tuned....

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...g-vvt-l92.html

Someone dug it up on 'tech. Lucky
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U need to add one more thing to the list... TVS 2300 blower!!!! I can't imagine what 550-600 rwhp would feel in one of our 3rd gens....

The cam you're looking at seems very street friendly, I'm sure it will have a nice powerband. Is it considered small for the LS3/L92 platform(comparatively)?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Z28FAST1
U need to add one more thing to the list... TVS 2300 blower!!!! I can't imagine what 550-600 rwhp would feel in one of our 3rd gens....

The cam you're looking at seems very street friendly, I'm sure it will have a nice powerband. Is it considered small for the LS3/L92 platform(comparatively)?
Haha yeah I'll get there. The goals with this car are basically to have more of the same. I have zero, and I mean ZERO complaints with the LS1 thats in there now ( pulling it out today actually kinda sad... ) but like any great thing I always get to wondering how to make it better. I was going to boost my LS1 set up with a centri. I was seriously considering the Vortech V3SQ ( sq = super quiet ) but ran into two issues. Firstly the heads on my LS1 are milled and my CR is pretty high as it is so a head swap was in order. Considering a head swap well... I might as well cam for boost as my TR224 is on a 112 which isnt ideal for boost. Then theres the packaging of it all and trial and error of getting it all mounted and working as stock and in the end theres considerable cost so...

I started thinking about adding more cubes instead accompanied with better heads and supporting mods etc. I've always liked the idea of a 6.2 VVT engine and almost dropped the hammer with the train derailment purchase that V8Rumble got in on a couple years back but I had literally JUST finished my LS1 swap to perfection and didnt feel like tearing it down I just wanted to enjoy for a couple years. So I did.. Great set up too man 400rwhp and 25mpg and civilized street manners whats not to like?

So as for the cam? I had Patrick G over at LS1tech spec it for me specifically for VVT and Geoff at EPS is grinding it with his proprietary lobes. Geoff is formerly the owner of Thunder Racing and designed the cams over there including the TR224 that I love sooo much so this cam is going to operate a similar power band to the TR224 but with the VVT I will make more torque down low, and more HP up top. Probably 30'lbs more than a static cam below 3500 RPM and about 20 hp more peak at redline than a static cam so a nice addition this VVT set is going to be. Plus the 6.2L is 378 CID vs the LS1 which is 346CID so a nice bump in displacement too.

Once I get this dialed in and running perfect I may add boost later on again but for now I'm sticking with N/A and aiming for at least 450 rwhp. Theres a bit of black art to all of this so I might not hit it bang on straight out of the gate as this is a brand new cam design and tuning a cammed VVT engine with the stock e38 ECM in front of a t56 has not been done before so I also figured by keeping the cam less radical for now it will make tuning go a LOT easier for me. I'm mostly excited about mastering the tuning on this swap to be honest. I'm confident I will but no sense it making things complicated right out of the gate by adding boost right away etc. Plus I like to leave room to play... If I go all out and just build the ultimate monster what would I have left to do? I like building and planning and the like. If I could retire tomorrow I'd build away until they stuff me in the oven LOL.

Anyways gotta get the LS1 out thats todays job. Kind of sad actually... Sooooooooooo much damn work and figuring to get it in there the first time around as info was scarce back then. Such an accomplishment to get it running and above all to literally have zero problems with it since I swapped it all I've had to do is change the oil, and fill up the gas tank. I havent had one single problem with it that engine has been flawless for me.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Personally, Id get a new chassis and do the swap again. That way you dont waste the effort of the first swap

Aside from wiring the newer PCM, what would change drastically from LS1 to L92? It seems like the majority of the stuff would interchange freely ie mounts, trans, fuel system, exhaust etc. Sort of like a LO3 to L98 swap
Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pocket
Personally, Id get a new chassis and do the swap again. That way you dont waste the effort of the first swap

Aside from wiring the newer PCM, what would change drastically from LS1 to L92? It seems like the majority of the stuff would interchange freely ie mounts, trans, fuel system, exhaust etc. Sort of like a LO3 to L98 swap

Exactly. Swapping in the VVT 6.2 is straight up aside from needing a new harness which you and I know isnt a big deal really. All my fuel, exhaust, drivetrain, gauges and everything just plug and play now that I'm already LSx ready so to speak. Plus I sold the entire LS1 harness, engine, and everything out of my car already.

On another note about boost and why I didnt do it is this is a street car that already runs 11's and will now run DEEP into the 11's and maybe tick off a high 10 on a max effort pass so how much does one really need for the street? Im not caging the car as thats illegal here for a street legal car in Canada and I'm already going to get banned at the track and besides... Theres nothing out there that gives me any grief as it is so boost is going to be saved for either another car... Or another build when/if this car gets retired from street use.

As for getting another car to start with on this build? That would be crazy for me... This car is very cherry, rust free, Recaro interior, sweet gauges, wheels etc etc. Too much coin to even come close to building another car as cherry as this one so a quick engine transplant and Im good to go for another few years.

Also I should add that I am involved with a twin turbo 6.0L third gen build right now... This thing is going to be very crazy. In fact the PCM is getting a basic mail order tune done today just so we can get it started and drive it to the dyno. Its been two years in the making thus far... Work the bugs out on that one then I'll likely go for the gusto

New car, race trim only so I'll gut it. Boost the HELL out of it and try and go reeeeeeeeal fast. Then put it back on the trailer LOL
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Alright the LS1 is long gone. Im rebuilding the t56 while its out. When I saw the condition of my LS7 clutch I was/am completely SHOCKED the thing still looks like new! What a testament to how good those clutches are I drove the snot out of that thing and punished it at the track and you would never know it to look at it. I will get some pics as soon as I get working on the car again. I pulled the LS1 out a few weeks ago and havent had a chance to do any wrenching since. Hope this doesnt turn into another two year project...

Seriously though I hope to have it running within a month we'll see.

In other news I ordered up the new skins for it and once again BLOWN away these things are FAT! They might be only 285's but man these are by far the widest 285's I've ever seen. Went with the Kumho Ecsta XS this time around. Seems like the sort of tire I would like based on reviews I've read. Cornering like an R compound and straight line grip that is as good as Nittos according to what the Viper guys say. We'll see soon enough but worth a try they arent very pricey. Too bad they're not the greatest looking tire out there but I dont really care as long as they perform. I had crapyear GSD3's on there last time around and they looked killer but performance? GARBAGE!!!!! Granny tires not deserving any kind of performance branding.

My t56 parts arrived so thats first thing on the burner. until then heres a tire pic for you guys. I'll update as I go

Is it considered small for the LS3/L92 platform(comparatively)?
Forgot to comment on that. The L92 heads seem to like cams in the 220/230 range the best on smaller cube engines. It doesn't take a huge cam to make great power with the L92's and this cam I had made is designed for both the L92 heads and VVT so that adds a pretty big variable to the cam #'s and doesnt nec reflect what a normal static cam grind would be if I was running an LS3 static cam instead. This is going to be an interesting build....

Attached Thumbnails L92/LS3 swap with t56 begins-285-40-17.jpg  

Last edited by cam-; 03-25-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '84 Z28/'82 Z28/'02 C5Z
Engine: 350 cam, boltons/350/cam boltons
Transmission: 700r4/700r4/M6
Axle/Gears: 3.73/3.43/3.43

Subscribing, I'm in korea with the army saving up for an ls3/t56 swap when i get home , good luck man.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z, 1979 Malibu Classic
Engine: LSx 5.3
Transmission: MN12 6-speed, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42

Originally Posted by 10secondhopeful
Subscribing, I'm in korea with the army saving up for an ls3/t56 swap when i get home , good luck man.
Awesome man, LSX is the way to go these days IMO. Be safe, and we appreciate what you do for our country!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 10secondhopeful
Irony here is after taking a better look at my Kumhos the other day they are made in Korea! Odd that your first post in my thread was right after I posted up the tire pic.

As for the LS3/t56 swap? Yeah man you will LOVE that swap. My previous LS1/t56 swap was amazing and made me very very happy. Gotta love LSx power