LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

89 camaro rs v-6 swapping to 5.7l LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro rs
Engine: v-6 soon to be v-8
89 camaro rs v-6 swapping to 5.7l LT1

welcome everyone. Well i have owned my 89 camaro for about a year now granted only driven for 6 months.At the very end of the summer season my transmission was acting up which i think it had something to do with a vacume problem because of the symptoms.Anyways I have been reading post about swapping v-6 camaros into a 5.7L v-8's.Seems as though all the threads about swapping new ones are old and new followed through. Today I bought my 5.7L v-8 it is still in the 1996 caprice classic 9c1 old cop car. Can people on here that have done the swap help me out on what i will need to actually do the swap. I really dont want to find out half way through I forgot something.I will get bak on here later on this evening. i think its time for a new updated version on the v-8 swap,lol
Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
First, I moved this to the LTX and LSX subforum where topics like this are discussed.

Second, did you read the LT1 swap sticky in the top section of this forum? Also, parts of the V6 to V8 swap sticky apply, such as what to do with the engine mounts on the K-member, and the need for a V8 radiator and transmission (hope you're getting the tranny from the Caprice as well).

Last edited by five7kid; 03-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Car: 1988 TA
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27's
Re: 89 camaro rs v-6 swapping to 5.7l LT1

you will be able to fine all your info on this sight its been very helpful for my LT1 swap as well,good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the starting information. I have read some things about swapping the engine just still triing to figure how the web site works. Iam going to use the transmission from the caprice plus i was thinking on using the suspention too if it works.Most theads on here stop with out finnishing their stories. this site has inspired me on the LT1 and plan on using everything i can from the caprice.what do i need for the spedometer? do i need to change out mine and what would work. I 'am just getting all my ducks in a row and plan on swapping in three to four months. any information will help
Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM

I believe the '89 Camaro was the first year of the electronic speedometer (no speedometer cable). So, matching the pulse count is the only issue driving the speedometer off of the Caprice transmission, if that's the case. If, however, your car still has the speedometer cable, you will need to get a speedometer drive box that converts the PCM output pulses to mechanical rotation.

You will need a means to mount the differential torque arm since the Caprice transmission doesn't have that provision. I don't know off the top of my head if the '96 4L60E tailshaft housing will swap with a 3rd gen TH700 tailshaft housing, but if it will, you're good to go. If not, either find an f-body tailshaft housing, or provide some other means of hooking up the torque arm.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by new2thirdgen
welcome everyone. Well i have owned my 89 camaro for about a year now granted only driven for 6 months.At the very end of the summer season my transmission was acting up which i think it had something to do with a vacume problem because of the symptoms.Anyways I have been reading post about swapping v-6 camaros into a 5.7L v-8's.Seems as though all the threads about swapping new ones are old and new followed through. Today I bought my 5.7L v-8 it is still in the 1996 caprice classic 9c1 old cop car. Can people on here that have done the swap help me out on what i will need to actually do the swap. I really dont want to find out half way through I forgot something.I will get bak on here later on this evening. i think its time for a new updated version on the v-8 swap,lol
ok here goes...I swapped my 3.1 for a carburated 350. so this is what i have, you need to change the crossmember to the tranny, I welded ends on mine and drilled new holes.that works too. the placement of the v8 is difrent then the v6. but all the holes are there to swap the crossmember. the driveshaft from the v6 wont work. I cant remember if it was too long or short. you can get one to fit or modify the one you have. the tailshaft needs to be swaped like previously stated on another posting. or get a difrent tranny. check the wiring to the tranny to see if the plugs are the same . I think they are. you can also get aftermarket programable speedos. how they install i dont know , I havent done that to mine yet

Last edited by aremy10; 03-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by aremy10
ok here goes...I swapped my 3.1 for a carburated 350. so this is what i have, you need to change the crossmember to the tranny, I welded ends on mine and drilled new holes. that works too. the driveshaft from the v6 wont work. I cant remember if it was too long or short. you can get one to fit or modify the one you have. the tailshaft needs to be swaped like previously stated on another posing. or get a difrent tranny. check the wiring to the tranny to see if the plugs are the same . I think they are. you can also get aftermarket programable speedos. how they install i dont know , I havent done that to mine yet
now for the engine, you need to swap motor mounts, top and bottom, from the caprice to the camaro. also need to swap the computer from the caprice to the camaro, I cant say if the connectors are the same. also check the wiring plugs on all accesories , the alturnator may be a 2 prong or a 3 prong, and could be on the opposite side of the engine. you can reroute the wires to the side you need em on. as far as the sencors go ,make sure all the plugs are the same, if not i do beleive that the most of the v6 ones will work on the v8, not sure about the carb sencors though.

Last edited by aremy10; 03-09-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM

now for the engine, you need to swap motor mounts, top and bottom, from the caprice to the camaro. also need to swap the computer from the caprice to the camaro, I cant say if the connectors are the same. also check the wiring plugs on all accesories , the alturnator may be a 2 prong or a 3 prong, and could be on the opposite side of the engine. you can reroute the wires to the side you need em on. as far as the sencors go ,make sure all the plugs are the same, if not i do beleive that the most of the v6 ones will work on the v8, not sure about the carb sencors though.

ok the cooling system, the v6 radiator will work with the v8. ive already investigated that .according to factory parts the v6 and v8 radiators are the same. it is also how mine is set up, I use a 160 degree thermostat with the v6 rad. and elec. fan. the caprice probebly has electric fan, but if not , just take off the clutch fan and put the nuts back on to hold the pulley. this is how mine is set up and it works good

Last edited by aremy10; 03-09-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM

ok the cooling system, the v6 radiator will work with the v8. ive already investigated that . it is also how mine is set up, I use a 160 degree thermostat with the v6 rad. and elec. fan. the caprice probebly has electric fan, but if not , just take off the clutch fan and put the nuts back on to hold the pulley. this is how mine is set up and it works good

as far as the fuel pump goes , the camaro pump will probebly work , i m not sure of this because i dont know what pressure the lt1 needs , I think the v6 pump pushes between 20-35lbs

for the exhaust, the v6 Y pipe i don think will work, the one in the caprice might fit right in, but you can also modify that to fit, just something to check.

i think thats it . if i remember any more ill let ya know. good luck

Last edited by aremy10; 03-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Okay, now to correct all that:

the driveshaft from the v6 wont work. I cant remember if it was too long or short. you can get one to fit or modify the one you have.
Yes it does work, if you locate the engine properly (as in, use factory mounts and holes).

check the wiring to the tranny to see if the plugs are the same . I think they are.
Irrelevant. If you use the engine, transmission, and harness from the Caprice, it will all work.

Again, irrelevant. Use the stuff that comes with the engine. All you will be rewiring are the connections to the car itself, which is well documented in the LT1 swap sticky.

ok the cooling system, the v6 radiator will work with the v8. ive already investigated that .according to factory parts the v6 and v8 radiators are the same.
That is only true for the 3.1 V6 cars. '89 would be the 2.8 V6, so a V8 or later V6 radiator is needed.

as far as the fuel pump goes , the camaro pump will probebly work , i m not sure of this because i dont know what pressure the lt1 needs , I think the v6 pump pushes between 20-35lbs
The V6 pump operates at a higher pressure, but it won't supply sufficient volume for an LT1. Plan on replacing it. A TPI replacement pump will be fine, or you can upgrade to something like a Walbro 255.

for the exhaust, the v6 Y pipe i don think will work, the one in the caprice might fit right in, but you can also modify that to fit, just something to check.
As stated in the V6 to V8 swap sticky, assume all of the V6 exhaust has to go. The good news is 3rd gen V8 stuff works.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Okay, now to correct all that:

Yes it does work, if you locate the engine properly (as in, use factory mounts and holes).

again sorry for the mistake. didnt realize 2.8 .
the 3.1 mounts are diffrent and wont work ,because the bolt pattern wont work with the block

Irrelevant. If you use the engine, transmission, and harness from the Caprice, it will all work.

oops my mistake, I forgot that the first 3 trannys i put in my car were th350. so i did have to change the driveshaft. but not with the 700r4..forgot to mention mine was swapped from a 3.1.didnt know they didnt put that motor in the 89.

Again, irrelevant. Use the stuff that comes with the engine. All you will be rewiring are the connections to the car itself, which is well documented in the LT1 swap sticky.

also my mistake, i didnt realize that a v6 computer could run a lt1 motor . sorry about that too

That is only true for the 3.1 V6 cars. '89 would be the 2.8 V6, so a V8 or later V6 radiator is needed.

sorry again forgot to say 3.1 rad.

The V6 pump operates at a higher pressure, but it won't supply sufficient volume for an LT1. Plan on replacing it. A TPI replacement pump will be fine, or you can upgrade to something like a Walbro 255.

again i said i didnt know

As stated in the V6 to V8 swap sticky, assume all of the V6 exhaust has to go. The good news is 3rd gen V8 stuff works.
ya said that i didnt think it would work.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM

again i dont know much about the wiring for that swap

these are the things i encountered when swapping my 3.1 with a CARBURATED 350
Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Appreciate that your swaps were carbureted.

I didn't say a V6 computer would run an LT1. I said the computer ("stuff") would come from the Caprice. Engine, transmission, accessories, harnessing, sensors, and PCM (computer) should come from the Caprice. Wouldn't hurt to pull the fuse/relay box as well. The harness connectors you disconnect to remove all that from the car will then be spliced into the Camaro.

FWIW, the 2.8 V6 was used from '82 to '89. In '90 the 3.1 came out, and the cooling system modified so the same radiator could be used for both V6 and V8.

Since your swaps used TH350's that would explain why you couldn't use the TH700 driveshaft, which would be too short. Trivia: The "long" tailshaft TH350's (9" vs. the normal 6") can use the TH700 driveshaft; and the early ('82-'83) 3-speed automatic and 4 speed manual driveshafts are the right length for a short tailshaft TH350.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 PM

you had some realy good info on the electronics. i just always prefered carburated.
ya the th350 tranys were great off the line, but the rearends just werent geared for them and i didnt want to change rearends or gears. so then i went with the 700r4..much better. sometimes i think of goin with fuel injection but i cant stand the headache with the electronics..
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

If you spend some time to familiarize yourself with the schematics and are thorough with the harness, the electronics are extremely accurate and reliable, much like your factory electronic gauges. All electric
Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM

Car: Trailblazer EXT 4.2 (Firebird Form)
Engine: 5.1 4bbl
Transmission: 700R4 Mega Raptor Level 4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

you had some realy good info on the electronics. i just always prefered carburated.
ya the th350 tranys were great off the line, but the rearends just werent geared for them and i didnt want to change rearends or gears. so then i went with the 700r4..much better. sometimes i think of goin with fuel injection but i cant stand the headache with the electronics..

HAHAHA... move to California... after your first smog inspection, you'll be camping out at the local junk yard that same night waiting for it to open so you can buy a TPI set up...
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

Move the motor mounts to the front holes on the crossmember, you have to relocate the brake hardlines to clear the one set of holes. You can reuse your crossmember for the transmission and the driveshaft as well. Since you have a 2.8 you will have the correct lines like a TPI car to come up and provide fuel and return to the back.

Go with a Walbro 255lph fuel pump keep the stock sender. You should have all the PCM and wiring for the engine. If you get the automatic with the motor, you'll have to swap the tail housing on the tranny so you can mount the torque arm.

Not for sure about the raidiator, I used the LT1 radiator and fan setup that was in an f-body as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM

I 'am so pumped about swapping i can not wait. Started the caprice today and heard the v-8 sound, boy did it make me feel good just the sound of more power. So what kind of cam and headers do you recommend? The guy gave me a posi rear end from 1 1994 caprice because the one on the 96 car has a bad bearing. Question is this if the bolt pattern is the same on the cover can i just swap the guts? The steering linkage wont be a problem will it?Any and all information is good information and I thnk you all for helping me line my duck in a row. I will be back on tommorrow night been working ALOT and tired.Once again thank you this is a great site that I'am glad someone told me about.Pictures will be posted when I get the car out of storage and the salt is off the roads dang minnesota winters..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM

bump..