LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

(I am Crazy, nothing to see here) You guys will call me crazy, but. please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LSX (swapping)
Transmission: 4L60E (swapping)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi 10 Bolt
Re: (I am Crazy, nothing to see here) You guys will call me crazy, but. please come i

My vote is the C4 IRS swap.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: (I am Crazy, nothing to see here) You guys will call me crazy, but. please come i

Originally Posted by musclecar70sfan
I remember 1MeanZ once saying that there is a noticeable improvement. I also remember him comparing it to his 91 TA with a solid rear axle. Apparently the rear end of the TA would hop over an inch on a bump on a certain turn and the camaro would stay planted. I'm not sure why he deleted his posts though.
Off topic but to add--

In the CHASSIS forum, look up 1MeanZ & the thread RE: C4 Corvette rearend or something real close to that title. It's been re-updated.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 AM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.11

T-Top Havoc, Yea, I read through that thread again today when I was posting.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by Falconiroc
1. The Frame Rails are set much further inward than the Existing Third-Gen frame Rails, so there would be no keeping the rear subframe. Since the Upper A-Arms mount to the frame rail, it would be very important to have this geometry correct.
I don't see that being an incredibly huge deal in the grand scheme of things. It's by no means easy, but cars get back-half kits all the time. Which this would be an equivalent too. Cut out old "rails" and weld in new actual rails and sheetmetal to match.

2. Ok so we already know that we're not keeping the rear subframe, but now we wont be able to fit our fuel tank, so that means fuel cell.
I don't know about this one. I would presume I modified cell in the rear well section or modified saddle bag style like a c6 would be usable? Wouldn't know under you started through the diff up there.

3. The Transaxle will not clear the trans tunnel, so there will definitely not be stock back seats in the car, and the tunnel will be heavily modified.
Not an issue for me. I already deleted my rear seats. I just have a package shelf kind of thing back there. Cut out the rest of the back tunnel area for the trans to fit wouldn't bother me at all. That's just me however.

All-in-All, it would be a really cool swap, but its a LOT more work than a C4 Rear end swap with a relatively minor up-side in comparison ( Comparing apples to apples here being corvette to corvette) and we're still not solid that the conversion will improve handling over the Camaro suspension anyway.
Biggest pro I see aside from the improved handling characteristics (hopefully...) would be the weight moved farther back for a closer balance.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Iansane, You make some great points. I would absolutely love to do a back half of a C5 or C6 in my car. someday I hope to do so, especially because I think our cars would benefit from the better weight ratio and suspension.