LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

the silent lsx swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
the silent lsx swap

What the heck?? I've posted almost 50 updates on my Trans Am, and the swap is almost done. I got 12 responses in this build. It can't be that dull.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:09 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: the silent lsx swap

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

You write well enough. Some people are more able to draw readers in, trigger responses, etc. I am not one of those writers, either.

There are a lot of people, myself included, who pore over build threads here, on tech, etc. and learn without having a lot to say. Don't take it personally, just use it to document some thoughts on what you are building, wanting to build, and let it be what it is. If you want to spruce things up, maybe practice on Taking video when done and posting those.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

How about attaching a link? I will read it.
But I will have to get a giant cup of coffee first.............
LS swaps are now boring.
I am considering dropping my subscriptions to Car Craft and Chevy High Performance
because it seems that nearly every car in there has an LS swap. Who cares?
Please don't get mad at me, it's just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

Your build thread is actually pretty entertaining with the flashbacks that are thrown in mid thread. It's well written and the style is very unusual for a car site. I've enjoyed reading it, but I agree there is not much to say. You've done a good job covering things.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

post a link to the build thread.
personally i like pics or videos to go along with the build/thread.
one reason i don't read many LS threads is i dont have one. but appreciate the guys that do take the time to document whats involved because one day i may need that valueable information.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. By next week, I'll enjoying my Trans Am.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/738393-84-anniversary-trans-am.html
Old 04-28-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

Gotta remember, this time of year a lot of people are busy in their garages getting their cars ready for the summer. It's too cold in the winter to be in the garage, so as soon as the temp hits freezing or above, we're out in the garage instead of inside on the computer daydreaming. I read most of the LS swap threads though to get ideas. I'm basically doing my swap over again, trying to make videos of it as I go but I'm not that interesting for people to watch lol.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 PM
COTM Editor

I read your thread and I know exactly why you didn't get much foot traffic. It went too fast, you farmed out the most glamorous work, and you didn't ask many questions. Most the activity was a bunch of posts you made in 1 day so there was no time for people to respond or interact. The time you did have questions you got plenty of interaction. The only story line where people had time to interact was a radiator and heater core install, and DBW gas pedal. Other than that there really isn't much of an LS swap story in there because so much was farmed out to a shop. Fun for you.... but not that interesting to readers.

Don't equate that to how much people like your car though. I do want to see how it turned out with some pictures and video if possible.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Well, I did post quite a bit of info on my C100 and C207. I've never worked with a car's body wiring. It's overwhelming at first, and I tried to leave info for others that are new to an LS swap. I left pictures and diagrams of a Pocket prepped C100, a complete Pocket wiring harness (no longer in production by the way), a Speartech harness, and my prepped C100. The Pocket harnesses that I was able to buy are for a 1989, and I have a 1984. There were too many differences, so I made my own and discussed it.

Then there is the 58x. There are going to be more and more of these in the used LS engine market. I tried to leave good info on why it's a little more challenging than the 24x and how I addressed that (i.e. speedometer and air-conditioning). There was the quicktime bellhousing fiasco. I had to remove the front plate and tail housing from the T56. For someone who hasn't worked with transmissions, it was a bit intimidating to see gearing like a swiss watch. I left info on how I put it back together in case someone else faces the same challenge.

My T56 was made for LT1. I had to get it changed to an LS style. I read threads and threads on clutch master cylinders. In the end, I took another member's idea and expanded on it. And I provided the part #'s I used.

I bought a pair of Hedman longtube swap headers from another member, and I bought a Hedman LS swap kit (engine mounts) to go with the headers. Fun story there on the purchase, and I think I'm the only one on this site who used Hedman longtubes. I couldn't find another example on this site. The exhaust route from the headers back will be custom. When I get the car back, I'm going to provide detailed pictures of the finished install, my thoughts on sound and ground clearance, the exhaust shop that was used, and how much it cost.

LS engines are lighter than our stock engines. My LS is aluminum, and that's going to reduce weight even more. I'm going to use the same front springs that are used on a 1LE Z28. Will the height be correct? I don't know yet, but I will post the results.

I even included a fix for the early trans am headlights. The solution wasn't on this site, and it was difficult to find. It's on thirdgen now. That was my goal with my build thread. Tell the story, make it entertaining, and detail my solutions for a 58x truck engine. There is lots of helpful info on this site, and I wanted to add to it. I bought my car 5 years ago from another member of this site. I've been working on the engine swap for 4 years. I didn't just pay someone to do it for me. I made all the decisions on engine management and integration with my 84 trans am. I did all the prep work. But, I got burned out and paid a shop to finish it. Just search this site with "LSX" and "don't give up". I'm not the only one who reached this point.

We have a style difference, and it's fine if you don't care for my thread. I never found out what happened to QwkTrip's car. You certainly had a lot of responses, though.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Gta
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I usually skim through this site on my lunch break. Your thread was pretty good. Decent read and some good info. Alot of people are like me though. They will just read through and find out what the need and move on. I did my entire build and only really asked questions when I was "stuck" and I was on lunch thinking about it.
In my opinion it's a pretty straight forward swap if you don't do the wiring. To me the wiring was the hardest part but pocket took care of that for me.

All in all just keep in mind more people read it and don't reply vs people not caring. The truth is if your thread helped one person even if they didn't reply, then that's good enough. Be happy that you did the swap and who cares what anyone else thinks.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:04 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by johnw999
I never found out what happened to QwkTrip's car.
You do realize I am one of the few people that did post in your build thread and helped you. And it wasn't a pity post like you're getting now due to your pouting.

And I looked at your post history and it appears that you haven't found out what happened to anybody's car. Sometimes taking more interest in other people will help with people taking interest in you.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 04-29-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 PM

You are the antagonist, aren't you? I can do without your help and your criticism. My history on thirdgen starts at 2006, and my posts are sincere.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sear...archid=9220147
Old 04-29-2017, 07:24 PM
COTM Editor

You asked for input and I gave you a direct answer to the very question you asked. This is your thread and you decided the topic matter. Most people would not have created this thread in the first place. If you don't want my input then I can honor that.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build a car that makes you happy. Don't build it for others