LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Time for a new clutch, LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro Z28
Engine: LT1 200cc Ai heads and cam
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10:1 Zexel Torsen
Time for a new clutch, LT1

I'm running an LT1 T-56 and I desperately need to upgrade my clutch and hopefully not my flywheel along with it. Right now I have a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. For general requirements, it needs to by sprung and be able to handle close to 500rwhp. I have done a little searching and found a few prospects.

The first one that I didn't know existed is Carolina Clutch.
http://www.carolinaclutch.com/invent...ion-clutch-kit

Spec at Tick Performance
http://www.tickperformance.com/spec-...-capacity-505/

What do you think about either of these or any other suggestions? I appreciate any input.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:47 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: Time for a new clutch, LT1

The second design "LT4" flat steel pp fingers design pressure plate is used on any new clutch since basically 20 years ago. And aftermarket PPs came into market, replacing Valeo units quite a while back too. You may not get anything different there from either vendor, so your disc is going to be the selling point. The dual friction sold by Centerforce has been good lasting and drivable in my experience so I assume the CC unit will be a similar, nice clutch.

Organic, semi metallic, ceramic, what material are you getting on the friction(s)?

Is the base PP modified for higher apply pressure? How much?

Is the throw out bearing Timken? Other?

What weight flywheel do they recommend with your setup?

If your flywheels in't able to be fitted with a new surface and re-used, what flywheel(s) do they offer? Can they lighten one for you?

Those are questions I would start with. I have also had good luck with clutches being remanned locally, which is tougher to find to get done these days, but a good way to deal with someone who knows their product in and out. Also, I personally would consider Centerforce because they're a 2 hour drive, and are another "can talk to real people who know their stuff" company in my experience.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Thank you for the input. I haven't considered the friction material yet. What are the advantages of some of them? I am definitely going to send some emails out and ask same questions to them.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Kevlar organic is going to be close to stockish. A metallic can be abused but your flywheel and pressure plate will wear a lot with it. Since they're mixing materials side to side, you should dig into SPEC's site and see what their 1,2, 2+, 3 & 3+ have.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:54 AM

I haven't had much of a chance to contact any of the big clutch manufacturers. With talking to a buddy of mine, that is more into the professional racing scene than I, has a contact to help me out with procuring a performance clutch. I've definitely settled with kevlar to meet my needs. I'm also going to get a scatter shield. Is quicktime the only manufacturer of scatter shields for the LT1 T56?

I also have to double check my flywheel to make sure the threads weren't pulled out. If they were, is it even safe to have it rethreaded? I'm extremely unsure about that. If I'm not able to reuse the flywheel, I'm also in the market for a new. Then I get to decide on billet steel vs aluminum. I do like how fast the engine revs with the aluminum and driving at slow speeds really isn't an issue for me either.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:43 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

I thought McLeod had a SS for the LT1 T56, but don't quote me.

Properly repaired threads are going to be just fine. Remember, the Valeo pull clutch uses a much lower then-most torque (22lb-ft) for the pressure plate bolts. The bolt shanks index into counter bored holes in the flywheel. So the load on properly help-coiled or thread-insert repaired holes is a non-issue.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:20 PM

I think McLeod only did a limited run. I definitely missed that boat
Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 PM

More progress to note. I was lucky enough to find a used scatter shield for a great price.
next I'm going to repair my flywheel with thread inserts and a new friction surface. I took it too a shop and they quoted just $100 to rethread it.I can do all that myself and go somewhere else to get it balanced again. They gave the famous, "we have too much work going on right now to help you out." If you've heard it before, you know who it is. That's besides the point, I'm moving forward.

I'm currently stuck between spec or California clutch. The spec is Kevlar and California organic. I'm leaning towards the spec, I'll have time over the next 2 weeks to email both companies to get more info on them.