LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Any LT1 with turbo swap advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any LT1 with turbo swap advice?

Alright, I'm going to start this thread with don't expect updates on me actually doing it for a looooooooooooonnnnnggggg time haha.

I picked up a 95 Z28 convertible last year for what was in it, a Golen 383 with a D1SC Procharger. These components are going to go into my 94 Z28. Currently in my 94 Z28, is a motor that when I rebuilt it a few years ago, I had put in dished pistons to lower the compression for boost. Seat of the pants didn't feel any slower, but sure enough I lost 6 mph trap speed at the track haha.

So now I have the 87 IROC also. The car has a T56 swap, brakes from a 98 Camaro at all 4 corners, etc... So now I will have this stock crank, forged rods/pistons, all ARP hardware motor with a CC503 cam that I am taking out of my 94 Z28. Naturally I'm thinking, hey that should swap fairly easy into the IROC, it will mate right up to that T56. I suppose my first question is, does the LT1 bolt right into where the TPI sat? In my mind I'm thinking yes, but maybe Gen 1 and Gen 2 don't have the same motor mount provisions on the block...

I know that the CC503 is not an optimal turbo cam, but I don't care. It sounds amazing and I don't plan on getting into this motor that has maybe 5k on it since the rebuild, if that.

For running the thing, the 95 Z28 convertible is currently running on a Big Stuff 3. So I'm planning on using that in the IROC.

My 94 Z28 is using a EFI Connections 24X setup, so that is going to go on the Golen 383 haha.

What all is involved in getting the BS3 integrated into the third gen?

Turbo wise, I'm planning on just getting some china made deal. I guess I am looking for some photos of how people ran the piping and such. I do not plan to make stupid power with this car. I already have one car with a roll bar in it and such, the 94 Z28. I do however love the way a turbo car sounds. Let's put it this way, the IROC already has a Walbro 255 lph pump in it, and the motor destined to sit in between it's fenders has 44 lb. injectors. So I am shooting to not out power the fuel setup. Also the T56 swap came with a LT4 clutch, so same deal, not looking to go crazy here. The 10 bolt has an eaton posi in it with 3.73 gears and upgraded axles. I've upgraded the rear/driveshaft/trans in my 94 Z28, not looking to spend a ton of money replacing every last component in the IROC haha.

Also, vehicle won't have air conditioning. I suppose that sounds crazy being as I live in Florida, however it is a T-top car and back to the whole complete turbo experience, I'd only drive it with the windows down and the ttops off, I want to hear that symphony!

I'm contemplating using Speedhut for the gauges. Currently for the factory gauge cluster, well most of it isn't working. I suppose speedometer isn't due to the trans swap, tach is pretty shaky, etc... If you used the factory cluster, what all was required to make things happy?

Any thoughts? Concerns? Advice? Headaches encountered by people who have done this already?

Just getting some information up front, this is a long ways out. I've got two vehicles ahead of my own personal project here haha.

Attached a photo of the poor thing. Body wise it is rough, but it had a bunch of nice things running gear wise done to it, so I picked it up.

A group of people on FLCFA facebook group knew the previous owner, which was neat.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: Any LT1 with turbo swap advice?

Read through all the posts linked here https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...questions.html

Not running AC solves alot of the issues you would run into. If the factory gauges work they can be made to work with the LT1. If you are deleting AC I would go all in and get rid of the giant air box and fab up your own covers for the heater side.

Now the one thing I don't know is if there are any LT1 turbo headers that will fit the thirdgen, I would guess 4th gens could be made to work. Most of the after market support is in LSx swaps at this point not the LT1's
Old 10-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any LT1 with turbo swap advice?

Thanks for the link!
True on the LS motor swaps, and if this car didn't already have a T56 swapped in it, and I if didn't happen to have a boost ready motor and stand alone boost capable ECU kicking around, I probably would have saved up for a LS motor swap myself haha