LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

ls3 and tr6060 swap

Old 05-29-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ls3 and tr6060 swap

Looking into a 5th gen ls3 and tr6060 with magnum conversion in a 91z. Will the camaro front accessories work, would the trans work with the tail shaft conversion? I realize the oil pan has to be changed and torque arm will have to mount to the trans crossmember. Looking at options, thanks.

Last edited by Tin Indian; 05-30-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: left out words
Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: ls3 and tr6060 swap

Originally Posted by Tin Indian
Looking into a 5th gen ls3 and tr6060 with magnum conversion in a 91z. Will the camaro front accessories work, would the trans work with the tail shaft conversion? I realize the oil pan has to be changed and torque arm will have to mount to the trans crossmember. Looking at options, thanks.
Your front accessories will depend on the k member you use and whether or not you run AC. The magnum will fit fine, just like a T56. I believe BPR hot rods now makes am adapter to run a TR6060 in the 3rd gen platform. You might want to sell it and go T56/Magnum to have a traditional shifter. An LS3 swap is no different than any LS swap but the devil is in the details. Time to read the stickies above and read every build thread you can. There are also plenty of LS builds documented in the appearance and detail board.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LS3 w/ HCI
Transmission: Magnum F (T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3:42 posi rear

I am picking up an LS3 out of a 2015 camaro. I have been searching bu I am not finding a thread showing what is needed to use the 5th gen accessories.

I am aware it is truck spacing, so will need notch K member for ac but I am not sure if it will still hit the idler arm like truck AC does?

I think the power steering pump and water pump will work but looking for confirmation. I need to also determine which AC and PS lines I can use, etc.

If there is already a build thread showing this, I would appreciate being directed there. I may just sell these accessories and buy an LS1 set.... Open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: TR6060
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

I am nearing end of swapping LS3 and TK6060 from a 2015 camaro into my 92 camaro. I will eventually make a post about some issues I came across with this swap. Others have done it and posted info on this site, just hard to search for info.

Converting rear tailshaft of TK6060 to T56 will make install easier. Going with stock TK6060 can be done, just more effort. TK6060 has shifter location farther back. Luckily Hawks Thirdgen sells a nice relocating shift bracket with short throw shifter and ball handle. I was able to get Hooker Blackheart cross member to work but it required modification. BRP relocation transmission mount relocation bracket was utilized to (http://www.brphotrods.com/products/T...etc/index.html).

I went full Holley Blackheart system (engine mounts, oil pan, headers, exhaust and transmission cross member). They have oil pan that will clear stock k member. For AC compressor, you need to notch stock k member, get mini AC unit or relocation bracket and new AC compressor. I went with Kwik relocation bracket and new Sandsen compressor. Dirty Dingo makes brackets too. Alternator can remain in stock location although space gets tight. I could not install little k-brace by power steer pump as it was to close to alternator. You can get alternator relocation bracket that locates it up high on drivers side. Water and power steering pump are fine.

Attached are picture of engine in car with accessories plus modified cross member installed.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LS3 w/ HCI
Transmission: Magnum F (T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3:42 posi rear

Originally Posted by Blackdog36
I am nearing end of swapping LS3 and TK6060 from a 2015 camaro into my 92 camaro. I will eventually make a post about some issues I came across with this swap. Others have done it and posted info on this site, just hard to search for info.

Converting rear tailshaft of TK6060 to T56 will make install easier. Going with stock TK6060 can be done, just more effort. TK6060 has shifter location farther back. Luckily Hawks Thirdgen sells a nice relocating shift bracket with short throw shifter and ball handle. I was able to get Hooker Blackheart cross member to work but it required modification. BRP relocation transmission mount relocation bracket was utilized to (http://www.brphotrods.com/products/T...etc/index.html).

I went full Holley Blackheart system (engine mounts, oil pan, headers, exhaust and transmission cross member). They have oil pan that will clear stock k member. For AC compressor, you need to notch stock k member, get mini AC unit or relocation bracket and new AC compressor. I went with Kwik relocation bracket and new Sandsen compressor. Dirty Dingo makes brackets too. Alternator can remain in stock location although space gets tight. I could not install little k-brace by power steer pump as it was to close to alternator. You can get alternator relocation bracket that locates it up high on drivers side. Water and power steering pump are fine.

Attached are picture of engine in car with accessories plus modified cross member installed.
Thanks for the info and pictures! Helpful and your project is looking great!

So it sounds like the stock 5th gen camaro AC compressor will fit with a knotched K member? Good to know and I will just need to get the Hawks adapter and hoses.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: TR6060
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

I'm further along in swap and just want to clarify few things in my prior post in case this info helps anyone.

I had to buy alternator relocation bracket from LSBrackets to move alternator from down low to up high. In stock position, the LS3 alternator conflicts with steering box pitman arm.I like this bracket as it allows you to reuse your LS3 power steering pump. Other brands require to by different type and remote reservoir.

I finally got torque arm figured out but after going through hassle of making it fit, I would highly recommend changing tail housing over to a T56 style. Getting the stock TR6060 tailhousing to fit onto Hooker LS transmission crossmember required cutting off some crossmember material, making shorter bushing bracket, cutting bushing in half and using stock torque arm. It works but I had friend who has metal shop do fabrication work so not easy for most people to do.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

To add further clarity regarding the use of the Hooker Blackheart transmission crossmember, a TR6060 transmission won’t be bolt-in installable even if the rear extension housing is converted to a T56 style housing due to the TR6060 bellhousing being deeper than a 4th gen F-body or T56 Magnum bellhousing (for the oil pump in the TR6060).