Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Worth it?

Horrible pic I know, Ill try to get more but Im trying to figure out if $1000 is a good price for this car. Its a 92 RS with less than 100,000 mi. Im looking at buying it off my cousin.

Some what fresh paint buts its orange peeled bad. It was in a little fender bender and hes hit a deer or two with it. Damage is all on passenger side front. Nothing past the front fender.

It needs a headliner, some tune up work and body work obviously. I plan on building a supercharged lq4/th400 setup for it, and fix the car up and drive it occasionally until im ready for the swap.

Is $1000 worth it? I think so but I have others telling me its not. Would you buy it if you were in my shoes?
Attached Thumbnails Worth it?-screenshot_2017-06-11-20  
Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Re: Worth it?

Ok, to see if it's worth it or not. What type of work can you do? What type of work or you willing to do? Is the frame and floors solid? You can find fenders, noses and hoods pretty easily.

What you are willing to pay for a car, and it's worth is entirely up to you.

That being said, if it's not rusting away, the drive train is solid, and interior besides headliner is nice, then it's worth it, and could be a bargain (my belief is if a car is a runner, and can be driven, it's worth at least $500). What work has been done to it, and any other pictures?

Now, since you want to do an engine swap anyways, why not just buy a good roller for $500-1500?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Im fairly mechanically inclined. Ill try anything, Body work is my weak spot but Im not affraid to try.

I believe the floors are solid but Id have to check cause its been a few months since ive seen it. It was pretty clean for the most part. This is the only other pic I have and its from a few years ago (2011). As for work thats been done. I know the guy my cousin got it from just redid all the paint (2011) and I think he did a dash swap too? Thats as far as I know.

As for not getting a roller to start. Idk I guess its because Ive never had a car before. Only a Truck and a few Jeeps and suv's. I have a Lifted Jeep now and Its a hog. Ive always wanted a car since I helped my dad work on his 85 383 T/A growin up, just wasnt practicall until now. Plus I figure the Car will be slightly better on gas than my Jeep so I can drive it occasionlly and build my motor and trans on the side till they're ready.

Ill see if I can head out tomorrow after work and get some better more up to date pics. I just dont want my dream to fog up my head and fall into a bad deal just to say I have the car I always wanted ya know.
Attached Thumbnails Worth it?-fb_img_1497230440948.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM

There you go, it's worth it. It's what you want, not overly expensive, and fits your goals. In that second pic, the body looks pretty straight (with the exception of the damage in the first pic), but changing a nose and fender isn't difficult. Plus, it's a runner, so go for it.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

A Third Gen that runs decent even if its beat up some is worth $1,000.00.

I payed $500.00 for mine and pulled it out of some guys back yard.
Its my first time working on a car of any kind.

After 10 years of blood, sweat, and a lot of cussing, I have come to understand how strong the "bond" can be between someone and there car.

Here it is now,and a few things that have been done.

New Custom Rally Red paint , Custom Black Racing Stripes, Crystal Red Pearl in both, Open-air 14 by 3in. Element & Xtra-Flow Filter Top /Goodmark Steel Cowl Hood /3in. American Thunder Flowmaster Cat Back / Magnaflow Cat / Corvette servo upgrade / Transmission Cooler / 28 spline Eaton Posi, 28 spline axles & gear ratio changes to 3.42 with L.P.W. Ultimate 10 Bolt cover.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 06-18-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 AM

Beautiful car Ron. Very clean look.

My love for Third Gens started when I was young. Been around my dads since I was born. Helping him work on it and hearing the rumble of that stroker got me hooked.

I feel $1000 isnt terrible for the car. It does need some work but will a little care she'll be in good shape. Floors are solid except one small spot on passenger side. Interior needs cleaned along with a headliner and center console lid.

Went to pick it up today but the battery is stone dead and my jumpers are crap. Going to see if the battery out of my brothers grand prix will work as a temporary to get it home. If not ill just get a new battery.

Heres how she's been sitting the past year+

Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 AM

Poor cars been baking away in the sun

Im glad to be rescuing it.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM

Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Looks like there might be a parts car right there for you hehe. Good luck on your build.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 PM

Thanks. Haha that ones got someone elses name on it already. I might be able to get the passenger fender and maybe a door of him. Its a 92 Iroc with an LT1/T6 swap. 4th gen dash and wire harness from headlight to tailight. Its a project he started but lost interest in, he plans on pulling the motor and trans back out. And using them for something else.

Got my RS home tonight and cleaned up. It does have an Iroc dash swapped in.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM

Slowly getting there. Finishing up the tune up/oil change and got the bumper cover off. Turns out I might actually be able to get the bumper, headlight panel and fender from the red 92 in the previous pics. Just need to find a hood and possibly a door if I cant fix mine. I have headlights and a few other missing/broken pieces on the way. Getting excited to just start driving it.

Definitely worth it so far.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 PM

If you were in southern michigan, I'd make you a sweet deal on the hood, fender and noses I have laying around.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:07 PM

You got a ebay page? I might have seen a few of the noses. Its hard to find the time to get down there. Where abouts are you? If I cant find a hood close I'll probably get one from you. Got any grey headliners?