Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

New Project - 1986 Contempo Cantara Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Contempo Cantara Camaro
Engine: LG4 5.0 V8
Transmission: T5 5 -speed
Axle/Gears: 3.23
New Project - 1986 Contempo Cantara Camaro

I just bought my first Third Gen F Body, and it's one that people either love or hate. The infamous Contempo Cantara Camaro.

I first spotted this same car back in 2012 at a local swap meet in Portland. I had never seen one, and thought it was fascinating. But they were asking $5k for it and it wasn't running, so that was a hard pass.

I have been keeping an eye on the local market looking for a good $5k car, when the Contempo popped up again. I did a little research on it and it turns out it's the same on that was featured on Bangshift a few years ago. ( https://bangshift.com/general-news/e...eve-ever-seen/)

Based on what I could find online, it sounded like the transmission was missing a few gears, and I wasn't in the mood to replace a transmission since I just put a clutch in my Alfa Romeo. But I figured what the heck, so I went to look at it.

Unfortunately the exhaust was disconnected under the car, and the current owner claimed the cooling fan didn't work, so I couldn't drive it. But he showed me the title, and I was able to get the name of the last owner. So I tracked him down.

He told me that he had put a new Z28 style dual exhaust on it, as well as a new starter, new shocks, an alternator, shift boot, better console, and a few other small items. When I asked about the possible bad transmission he said he had swapped it, and put in a new clutch. Score! He was driving it when he sold it as he didn't want to deal with painting it.

So two weeks later I called the seller back and he said he would connect the exhaust so I could drive it. When I showed up with a trailer he knew I was serious and finally connected it so I could drive it. It definitely needs help, but it runs and drives and all gears work.

So I bought it.

I got it home and started a list of issues I need to address. The plan is to get it running reasonably well, then get a decent paint job for it. So far the list of items to fix is long and growing, but other than paint and tires nothing is expensive, it all just needs a little TLC.

The first thing I tested is the cooling fan, and it works fine if you jump the relay. So either the temp switch is bad, or it just never got hot enough to come on. I'll figure out how to test the switch at some point, but with the cool weather I'm not that worried about it.

The next priority is getting the gauges working. Right now I have a speedo, voltmeter and oil pressure. Fuel gauge, tach and water temp are all bad. The car came with two extra gauge clusters so I will try those and see if one works. If not I will order a repair kit.

I found some used tires I plan to buy this week, so I can feel safer driving it. The current tires are probably 20 years old and seriously dry rotted, they are also not the right size. The PO put fancy chrome rims on it which he sold seperately.

I also need to track down and fix the vacuum leaks as the engine idles way too high. I plugged 6! vacuum leaks because someone ripped off all the emissions parts and didn't bother plugging the holes. Ugh.

I will get some more photos of it this weekend and post them up. If anybody knows of any other Cantaras let me know, I doubt there are many left.

And for those that are thinking "why the hell did you buy that thing" I like the strange and unusual. The white Alfa Romeo Berlina with flames is my daily driver. Plus this one has a V8, t-tops, a 5-speed and 3.23 gears so it should be fun if not fast. Plus nobody knows what it is, that's always hilarious.

Love that crazy hatch!

Loaded up!

Ugh what a mess, I have some serious vacuum line sorting to do.
The following users liked this post:
Emmanuel Giron (12-05-2019)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Re: New Project - 1986 Contempo Cantara Camaro

Not my thing, but hey, just enjoy it! And am i the only one thinking yikes about having a 3400 pound car on a single axle trailer, lol!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by zya5point0
Not my thing, but hey, just enjoy it! And am i the only one thinking yikes about having a 3400 pound car on a single axle trailer, lol!
I borrowed the trailer from a friend who uses it to haul cars all the time. It has proper load rated tires to handle about 5000 lbs. It's also much easier to deal with than the overbuilt Uhaul trailers. Those things are beasts. I only had to go a few miles, and this worked fine.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28 & 1997 Z28 SS SLP
Engine: Sbc 305 TPI & LT1
Transmission: 700r4 and A4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Posi 323 & Posi 323

Originally Posted by Alfisti
I just bought my first Third Gen F Body, and it's one that people either love or hate. The infamous Contempo Cantara Camaro.

I first spotted this same car back in 2012 at a local swap meet in Portland. I had never seen one, and thought it was fascinating. But they were asking $5k for it and it wasn't running, so that was a hard pass.

I have been keeping an eye on the local market looking for a good $5k car, when the Contempo popped up again. I did a little research on it and it turns out it's the same on that was featured on Bangshift a few years ago. ( https://bangshift.com/general-news/e...eve-ever-seen/)

Based on what I could find online, it sounded like the transmission was missing a few gears, and I wasn't in the mood to replace a transmission since I just put a clutch in my Alfa Romeo. But I figured what the heck, so I went to look at it.

Unfortunately the exhaust was disconnected under the car, and the current owner claimed the cooling fan didn't work, so I couldn't drive it. But he showed me the title, and I was able to get the name of the last owner. So I tracked him down.

He told me that he had put a new Z28 style dual exhaust on it, as well as a new starter, new shocks, an alternator, shift boot, better console, and a few other small items. When I asked about the possible bad transmission he said he had swapped it, and put in a new clutch. Score! He was driving it when he sold it as he didn't want to deal with painting it.

So two weeks later I called the seller back and he said he would connect the exhaust so I could drive it. When I showed up with a trailer he knew I was serious and finally connected it so I could drive it. It definitely needs help, but it runs and drives and all gears work.

So I bought it.

I got it home and started a list of issues I need to address. The plan is to get it running reasonably well, then get a decent paint job for it. So far the list of items to fix is long and growing, but other than paint and tires nothing is expensive, it all just needs a little TLC.

The first thing I tested is the cooling fan, and it works fine if you jump the relay. So either the temp switch is bad, or it just never got hot enough to come on. I'll figure out how to test the switch at some point, but with the cool weather I'm not that worried about it.

The next priority is getting the gauges working. Right now I have a speedo, voltmeter and oil pressure. Fuel gauge, tach and water temp are all bad. The car came with two extra gauge clusters so I will try those and see if one works. If not I will order a repair kit.

I found some used tires I plan to buy this week, so I can feel safer driving it. The current tires are probably 20 years old and seriously dry rotted, they are also not the right size. The PO put fancy chrome rims on it which he sold seperately.

I also need to track down and fix the vacuum leaks as the engine idles way too high. I plugged 6! vacuum leaks because someone ripped off all the emissions parts and didn't bother plugging the holes. Ugh.

I will get some more photos of it this weekend and post them up. If anybody knows of any other Cantaras let me know, I doubt there are many left.

And for those that are thinking "why the hell did you buy that thing" I like the strange and unusual. The white Alfa Romeo Berlina with flames is my daily driver. Plus this one has a V8, t-tops, a 5-speed and 3.23 gears so it should be fun if not fast. Plus nobody knows what it is, that's always hilarious.

Love that crazy hatch!

Loaded up!

Ugh what a mess, I have some serious vacuum line sorting to do.
I think I saw this recently on Clist, the seller never responded to my text messages, anyways, congratulations and enjoy it!
Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

I used to work with a dude that had a red one. His had black BBS looking wheels on it.....and is the only one I've ever seen in person
Old 12-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Camaro Contempo Cantara GT
Engine: LG4 - 305 4BBL
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.08:1

Welcome to the Contempo Club! They actually made a few of those dual gray cars. My original one was dual gray. That lower gray is an AMC color!

Last edited by johnnyride; 12-31-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Additional text
Old 12-31-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 92 CHP camaro, 03 SS pickup, 73 Z28

there is one for sale in Bakersfield, ca that the guy is asking for 1500.00 it's listed on "offer up". i've seen the car person and it's not my thing.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 73ra4mula400
there is one for sale in Bakersfield, ca that the guy is asking for 1500.00 it's listed on "offer up". i've seen the car person and it's not my thing.
He's at $2200 now and it looks like a mess. I especially love the wooden steering wheel! Wow!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God I want to get my hands on one of those rear decks. Are they fiberglass?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Akuyda
Yes, they are a big hunk of fiberglass. Finding one may be tough though, they did not make many.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Akuyda
Mine will be for sale this spring, I'm debating whether I paint it first before selling it or just let it go as is. The good news is that the car is running much better as I'm cleaned up the mess left by previous owners. The bad news is that you have to buy the whole car to get the kit!
Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alfisti
Mine will be for sale this spring, I'm debating whether I paint it first before selling it or just let it go as is. The good news is that the car is running much better as I'm cleaned up the mess left by previous owners. The bad news is that you have to buy the whole car to get the kit!
Well if you decide to paint it and go back to original colors, the silver is standard GM, the lower gray is an AMC color if I remember correctly. My first Contempo looked just like yours.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Targa Top. Full air ride
Engine: 305 5.0 tpi v8
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 gears posi

Those are interesting. I've always wanted a notch back hatch but that one is a tad busy for my taste. I've never seen one of these in person.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: sp357
Transmission: T-5

Not my thing, but a cool piece of 80's Camaro history. Glad you rescued it.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

I have a soft spot for the odd ball models because you just don't see them and they're just too 80's! Bring it back to life and just enjoy the hell out of it.