Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 25 Anniversary Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 305sb
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Introduction

Hello everybody, name's Josh and I live in Springfield, MO. I joined up this morning after purchasing a 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS last night for $1300. I have been around muscle cars and cars of that sort my whole life. But instead of following in my father's shoes and building muscle cars I chose to go the import route instead. On March 8th, 2011 I was on my way home from work when a Dodge Neon hit from on coming traffic. My 1998 Honda Civic was totaled but she saved my life. I walked away from the wreck without a bruise or scratch. And let me tell you I was lucky, because two cars colliding head on both traveling 40mph is a mess.

But enough about the Civic, back onto the Camaro. This is my first v8 RWD car since I was 16 years old and I'm turning 26 this June. I picked this car up from a friend last night, the car has been sitting since last May without being driven. But after charging the battery it fired right up no problem. I drove it home from Willard, MO to Springfield, MO about a 15 mile drive. Before I bought the car I was told the speedometer works only 50% of the time. And sure enough a few miles down the road the speedometer started to work. Also this car has the infamous tach issue where it's reading 2k RPM at idle and 7k RPM going down the highway. To be honest with you I think the whole cluster is reading wrong. But anyways, this is where the fun begins. Before I get it home the car over heats and I pull into an Autozone my buddy is the manager of, as soon as I put the car in park and shut the motor off the radiator blew.

SO within 30 min of owning the car I have to replace the radiator... Fail! But no worries Autozone has one for $92 after tax, installed that in the parking lot, filled with coolant and water, and did a pressure test on the system. Found 2 leaks, fixed them but still I'm having a VERY slow leak. In about a 20 min span the pressure went from 14psi to 10psi. So I'm still trying to hunt down this leak. Besides that... I was able to get the car home no problem, but the temp gauge is still reading high after going down the road a bit. I have a feeling I can't trust these gauges though....

Besides the problems I'm having with this car already it's in great cosmetic shape. The body is perfect, not a single ding, dent, or scratch on the 3 year old paint. It is mostly all original except for an aftermarket stereo system, and an aftermarket exhaust system. Interior needs some work but it's not bad for a 19 year old car. I will post some pictures up of the car after I get off work.

Once I get home I will be checking for a blown head gasket just to make sure, and from there on... Just over all maintenance to make sure everything is fresh and new. If you took the time to read this long post I thank you, this is my first Camaro period so I have a lot to learn still. But I'm not new to the car scene at all. If you all have any suggestions at all please give me your wisdom and knowledge so I can better prepare myself for what I'm about to dive into.