North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

TPI swap with FREE BEER

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI swap with FREE BEER

Hey guys, I'm gonna be having an informal get together with some friends from NJFbody.com at my place on the first weekend in May. Yes there will be beer there for anyone (over 21) if they wanna hang out, but if you drink you will not be allowed to drive for a while seeing how I don't wanna see any accidents. That Saturday will be the big push day where we will be working hard to swap my 350 tbi to a 350 tpi, so anyone who wants to come here's the thread on the NJFbody website.

http://www.njfbody.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1580
Old 04-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Why are you going from a 350 TBI to L98? Or did you mean 305 TBI?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:40 PM

It's a 350 tbi. I pulled the engine from a cop car with the 9C1 package so it has the L98 cam in it already with the 1.94 heads. And honestly, I am just sick and tired of having that wall I can't get past in the 1-3k rpms. It's not much fun when you don't have that seat of the pants feel. Plus I've always wanted to have a tpi. I'm also getting a couple codes (43, 44) that are annoying me one of which has to do with the harness where I'd have to replace a huge chunk. A lot more aftermarket parts are out for the tpi cars and although they aren't as easy to work on as the tbi's I just want one badly. I also have the ram air hood and want to make a functional ram air other than just the open element. So I guess you can pick any of the above reasons hehe.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally posted by pat12spe
It's a 350 tbi. I pulled the engine from a cop car with the 9C1 package so it has the L98 cam in it already with the 1.94 heads. And honestly, I am just sick and tired of having that wall I can't get past in the 1-3k rpms. It's not much fun when you don't have that seat of the pants feel. Plus I've always wanted to have a tpi. I'm also getting a couple codes (43, 44) that are annoying me one of which has to do with the harness where I'd have to replace a huge chunk. A lot more aftermarket parts are out for the tpi cars and although they aren't as easy to work on as the tbi's I just want one badly. I also have the ram air hood and want to make a functional ram air other than just the open element. So I guess you can pick any of the above reasons hehe.
Ok I got ya. Code 44 is a lean code. Sounds like you needed a little tuning and a bit more fuel. What are your plans for the TPI? Anything scary? Good luck!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Ok, you ready for the mods list? Picture Jim Carrey doing his Ace Ventura deep breath........Well right now it's a tpi setup from an 88 iroc. It had a 305 chip and injectors so I spent some money and got some Ford racing 24lb injectors and a custom 350 chip from Brian at tbichips.com. I still have the cold start injector though, no biggie. I have a racetronix fuel pump harness with the Walbro pump. I also have a crane adjustable fuel pressure regulatory and hypertech fuel pressure gauge. I have a ported and polished intake. I'm gonna be getting the slp runners also along with the tb bypass, and air foil next week. I have the ram air 2 hood and have the ram air intake to make it all functional. I also have a TCI Saturday Night special TC and a B&M shift kit. I have flowtech headers, hollowed cat, flowmaster series 80 muffler with slp "dual dual" polished tips. I'm still debating getting an electric cutout, not sure if I'd wanna do that or not. I have ROH ZR-6 rims with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires (super sticky - lots of traction) and a Wonderbar steering brace. Not to mention a ton of interior mods like 4th gen seats, abs headliner, custom sub box with JBL subs and kenwood head unit. And I will be getting a posi rear from an IROC convertible, not sure what gears it has though, but that's in a couple months. Ugh I think that's everything but I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Sounds like you will have a great car there when you get her done. Any cam plans while the motor is out?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:50 PM

I wish I could. I would definitely go for the LT1 cam or even the LT4 hot cam but I think that would be too much for my daily driver. Also, this swap is supposed to be complete in 3 days so I wanna stick with just one thing at a time even though it would be easy while the intake is out. I've done more than one mod at a time and it usually doesn't turn out good (did my 350 engine and shift kit at the same time, ruined my tranny when I though I had motor tweaks to work on). I don't think I'd have enough time to do the whole cam thing along with the tpi swap.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally posted by pat12spe
I wish I could. I would definitely go for the LT1 cam or even the LT4 hot cam but I think that would be too much for my daily driver. Also, this swap is supposed to be complete in 3 days so I wanna stick with just one thing at a time even though it would be easy while the intake is out. I've done more than one mod at a time and it usually doesn't turn out good (did my 350 engine and shift kit at the same time, ruined my tranny when I though I had motor tweaks to work on). I don't think I'd have enough time to do the whole cam thing along with the tpi swap.
Yea 3 days is a tough time limit to mod by. An LT1 cam would be awesome for your car and would have really good tuning specs and street manors.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:20 AM

Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 408 LS
Transmission: LS 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.70 Gears/TAP Girdle
Sounds like you have a good plan for the car going. You're gonna enjoy all that torque for sure. You could go with a zz4 cam like I have in my car right now. It's 474/510 lift with 1.5 rockers, great idle at 650 rpm. I'm taking it out to put in the lt4 hotcam though since it'll better match the stealth ram i'm putting on my car. From what i've been told tpi likes a dual pattern cam and the stealth ram likes a single pattern. I'll be selling my zz4 if you're interested anytime soon, only has 9k miles on it.