North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Gas Prices Strike Sept 10-14

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Gas Prices Strike Sept 10-14

I just wanted to let you know that the entire United States is not buying one cent of gas during these four days. I have recieved emails from a lot of people in my Massachusetts area and although they have gone down a few cents they can certainly rise up again! so in order to keep them from upping it more they are creating a surge in fuel so that they have to do lower the prices. so far i know that about 10,000-14,000 arent buying gas.. i am hoping this action will lower and help our prices... exspecially for us guys who have V-8's!!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: TBI 5.7L v8
Transmission: Modified T-5
This is good in theory, but everyone needs gas... which means, either everyone will be filling up a couple days prior to this event, or a couple days after - so how does it really affect anything in the long-run?
Don't get me wrong... these gas prices are crazy, but not buying gas will only make it worse in the long-run... studies proved this?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC w/Danko bodykit, 1988 iroc vert, 1989 k1500 pickup 6" lift and 35" tires, 2002 chevy tahoe z71
Engine: 383 stealth ram, 305 tpi, 350 tbi, 5.3l
Transmission: T56, 700r4, 700r4, 4l460
if your listing to the news lately the reason for these high gas prices is that they are trying to take the demand out. by raising gas prices they belive that people wont make as much "joy riding". they also belive people will start to car pool more. they say that we consume 87 million barrels of oil per day. they only drill 85 million barrels max a day now. they are tapping into the reserve everyday to keep up with the demand. so by rasing the price will make people think twice before going somewhere there for killing the demand. by not buying gas for a couple of days would do us good since sales of gas wont be high but if your expecting the price to drop back down to 2 bucks by doing this your going to have to try and do somethn=ing better.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Car: Hers: 88 Formula 350
Engine: TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Posi
as the saying goes
wanna play
u gotta pay

u want a v8
deal with it

yup it sucks, and the fat oil guys are making big $$ off of it

and it's sad we don't have alternative fuel cars readily available yet

there should be higher taxes paid for cars with v8's
and there should be more of a discount for 4bangers

the higher prices aren't effecting demad that much just yet, they thought the higher prices we already paid would help reduce consumption, but it hasn't as they said
now they said lets see if this does,

after all doesn't everyone need an excursion to move one or two kids around?

if they stay this high, the effect on the economy will interesting. shipping, mail, etc...

funny
we all bitch and complain about price of gas, yet we've been paying more for milk, cereal, OJ, etc...

this is a good reason i still have the probe, nice gas mileage

the other trick (if you call it that) is to fill up at 3/4 tank
easier on the wallet, then again i use less then a 1/4 a week with the AC on too

i think the hybryd cars should be cheaper and the added expenses should be passed onto the conventional cars, to aid in lower costs so consumers will buy them
Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Car: 1986 Iroc Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
these V-8's im talking about are from the 1980's..... i mean mine is a 1986 and back 19 years ago gas was only about maybe 1.00 or less a gallon! now ovbiously wages have changed and laws have to but still i mean Insurance alone is a killer and i have a 4 banger and i mean i use it for most of my driving and leave the camaro home but there are other ways of using fuel such as pure green alchohol or some people resort to other methods but still i mean using the hurrican katrina and the war as in example to up the prices nevermind the holiday... we have enough in our reserve for ourselfes.... were buying from other countries so that when they run out theyll pay the $$$$$ for our fuel. and not only does gas prices effect our gasoline but transportation.... airlines... buses, jets, oil in our cars.... everything will keep going up and i mean 50 cents increase over 2 days????? and then another for the following two days? thats a bit extreme... 4 bangers are good on gas because they have no *****. no torque nor do they sound good. I wouldnt be complaining if i had a "Tuner" or even 6 cylinders since they dont have to pay what us "Sport Coupes" do. Insurance and gas alone are expensive alone nevermind anything else.

Last edited by RedIrocZ86; 09-09-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:21 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Originally posted by RedIrocZ86
these V-8's im talking about are from the 1980's..... i mean mine is a 1986 and back 19 years ago gas was only about maybe 1.00 or less a gallon! now ovbiously wages have changed and laws have to but still i mean Insurance alone is a killer and i have a 4 banger and i mean i use it for most of my driving and leave the camaro home but there are other ways of using fuel such as pure green alchohol or some people resort to other methods but still i mean using the hurrican katrina and the war as in example to up the prices nevermind the holiday... we have enough in our reserve for ourselfes.... were buying from other countries so that when they run out theyll pay the $$$$$ for our fuel. and not only does gas prices effect our gasoline but transportation.... airlines... buses, jets, oil in our cars.... everything will keep going up and i mean 50 cents increase over 2 days????? and then another for the following two days? thats a bit extreme... 4 bangers are good on gas because they have no *****. no torque nor do they sound good. I wouldnt be complaining if i had a "Tuner" or even 6 cylinders since they dont have to pay what us "Sports Cars" do. Insurance and gas alone are expensive alone nevermind anything else.
Some corrections:

"Sports cars" only seat 2 people. We have "Sports Coupes".

"4 bangers" are both good on gas, and have *****. I have a friend who does Honda's exclusively, and they'll spank most of you guys, and some me too.

Insurance in Mass is set by the state. Your driving record is what makes it expensive.

Here is the best:

Originally posted by Don 79 TA
there should be higher taxes paid for cars with v8's
and there should be more of a discount for 4bangers
Whats your logic (or lack of) behind this?

-- Joe
Old 09-09-2005, 07:26 AM

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: T-5
Gas prices suck, and people say they will go back down to where they were...., Not happeneing.

I have a 99 Dakota R/T I drive on a daily basis. 15-16MPG on the highway, with the cruise set. Yeah, I have to drive it 3 days a week to Providence, a round trip of about 80 miles. In a few weeks the next semster begins, up to 5 days a week.

But hey, I chose the V8, and even though the gas is choking me to death, I don't complain that much. I have for sale signs in her, and if she sells, great, if not, I'll live. Gas prices aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Either buy a POS 4 banger to drive instead of your V8 Muscle, or sell the car and buy a nice small, fuel effiecent car. Your choice, and that's what the USA is all about.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:49 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears