Northern Great Plains and Rocky Mountain Regional Board for Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas.

All things considered, concussions pretty much suck...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: WAS 350 - now L92 (alum. 378/6.2L)
Transmission: WAS 700R4, now a built T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
All things considered, concussions pretty much suck...

Long story short:

Went to visit some family in the N. part of the state yesterday, was cruising home in the wife's car on I-25 at a comfortable 75 when one or more tires climbed up on top of a puddle instead of redirecting it off to the side. Car got squirrely, I saved it once when it was heading into the cement barrier, it kicked out the other way toward a field, I saved it again, third time it made it, smacked HARD into the concrete barrier with the driver's rear quarter-panel, bounced off again, I finally got control & pulled off to the side. (Happened just N. of 136th, about 10:30 last night.)

Initial inspection didn't look too bad, the wheel was still straight & we still had headlights & tailllights, just looked like the quarter was crumpled in some. Got up to hwy speed, took my hands off the wheel for a second, it was still tracking straight, so I started to believe that we'd somehow miraculously dodged a bullet. That lasted for about a mile & a half until I realized that I had no idea how to get home (and I grew up around here! I might as well have been dropped into Detroit or KC, or some other city that I've never been in)... If you think of your mind like a vast library, when I went to the area where that info was stored, there were no shelves, no books, no data, just clouds. Couldn't remember the date, or a few other things.

Wife took over the driving, we talked for a minute or two, & I decided that I'd better get checked out. Went into the ER, they gave me a fairly quick look-over, then (because of the possibility of neck/spine injury) put me in a neck collar, strapped me onto a backboard & taped my head down. People aren't exaggerating when they say that backboards are uncomfortable. I only had to put up with it for 90 mins or so, but that was plenty.

After the X-rays & CAT scan, they returned & told me that there was no intra-cranial bleeding, no fractures or dislocations, just a fairly mild concussion. All things considered, it could have been a lot worse, to be honest, as hard as we hit, I was really surprised that the car was still driveable. Got out of the ER at about 1:30 am.

We're pretty much OK today, a bit stiff & sore, my neck's a bit jacked up & we're both tired, but our mental faculties seem to be pretty much what they always have been (go ahead, say it...).

The car didn't look so good in the daylight. Not only did I break the tire, but the impact broke the actual wheel, may have moved the strut mount, & knocked the interior shifter panel on the tranny tunnel out of position. (Can't believe that it got us home after more than 2 hours in the hospital...) The body shop said that we were looking @ $2500 as a beginning estimate. We've turned it in to the insurance company, we'll see how it turns out. Hope it doesn't get so expensive that I can't get the GTA on the road..

Y'know, all things considered, I think I'll try to pass on the whole "serious blows to the head" thing from now on...
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
Ahh man, I am glad that you guys are OK, forget the car, you can always get another one. Take it easy for few days untill the "I might hit something again" wears off.

Take care, and I am glad you were both safe.

P.S. How does a concussion feel???
----------
I already volunteered to help on the GTA, so the labor should come down a bit.

Last edited by xlwhellraiser; 05-02-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 AM

Car: 1987 GTA 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/2400 stall
Axle/Gears: B/W 3:27 posi disc
Wow, you really did dodge a bullet. Impacts like that and at that kind of speed intend to much worse. I'm happy both of you are "alright". If you need help in someway,please call me.

Conrad
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Hey guys, I'm not ignoring the thread, just working for the next couple of days, so I pretty much only have time to work & sleep. Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll add more later.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Hey guys, I'm not ignoring the thread, just working for the next couple of days, so I pretty much only have time to work & sleep. Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll add more later.
Wow, the concussion is more serious than I thought!

You haven't posted on this thread for few weeks now, not few days!

Joking aside I am glad you all are fine. Next up Salt car!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Who are you?

Seriously, here's a pic of the rim. I suspect that Conrad may be right - when you realize that it didn't just bust the rim like this, but also busted the tire longitudinally along the tread... We must have really hit pretty hard - and someone was praying for us, or something...

(BTW, thanks for the offers of help guys!)
Attached Thumbnails All things considered, concussions pretty much suck...-rimouch2.jpg  

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-03-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Got CRACK?
How bad was the car??? Could it be just a trip to JY, or is it too new for JY's?? Cuz a new rim shouldn't be a problem. I think!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 AM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
All I can say is ouch!!! (more so for the car then for you...... )
Old 05-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I'm sure that the car didn't appreciate it much.. But at least you can cut out & replace a quarter panel, or straighten a frame - it's a bit harder to fix it when someone becomes a drooling rutabaga...

And Sasha, you were right:

Take it easy for few days untill the "I might hit something again" wears off.
The first day that it rained I was driving home from work, & the first time I hit a puddle, suddenly I was like - that really sucked. I've gotten better since then, I just didn't expect that...

And as far as "a new rim shouldn't be a problem. I think!!!" Well, get this - junkyards want about $250 for each one of those rims, IF you can find one. GM charges about $540 each!!! (I told my wife we could get an entire set of American Racing rims for the cost of one of their rims!)
Old 05-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Mr.Rumble (you don't mind if I call you that right??) there are junk yards that I hit up at least once every 2-3 weeks. I was at colorado JY today snaging some z28 badges for my, soon to be, car. If I read this post sooner, I would have been looking for those rims today.
Anyway, you gimmie the size, style and what car they came from, and I will be calling you from different JY's with price quotes.
----------
'gotta stay positive!

Last edited by xlwhellraiser; 05-07-2006 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2006, 02:01 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Hey Tim,

man....I'm glad you went to hosp. i've been there, done that....but NOT at that speed & not hit THAT hard!!!! You guys, don't EVER think that you don't have gaurdian Angels watching over you...Cause you do!!!!! I know from experiences in my life... Thank GOD!!! you're Ok.

Sasa is right tho, you're gonna have some natural fears for a couple of weeks....& Your reflexes are gonna be paranoid too...also you're entire body is gonna be sore & ache...If you have the right insurance it needs to reported & file a claim so that ins.will pay for hospital visits & they will send you to chiropracter...don't wait...do claim now if you have ins. to pay for it.... Most likely you need to go to an attorney & let them force the ins.company to do everything they are supposed to. I had to get atty. they handled evertything. Ins. paid for my medical visits, attorney fees and sent me a check for the work i missed because I could not perform the work I normally did. Doctor's orders were only 4 hrs a day.so ins. sent me a check every 2 wks. to make up for what hours I lost...look into it ASAP!....also, pain from your neck will radiate down to your lower back & all the way down the back of your legs. Don't work so hard, get plenty of rest & DON'T lift anything over 15 lbs.

I used to work at a chiropractor's office in FLA. I was also his assistant. I used to help treat patients. Plus, I was a patient.....
I'm so glad yall are Ok. Take care Tim & Wife...
Laters, Keli D.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91BlueTtop
man....I'm glad you went to hosp. i've been there, done that....but NOT at that speed & not hit THAT hard!!!! You guys, don't EVER think that you don't have gaurdian Angels watching over you...Cause you do!!!!! I know from experiences in my life... Thank GOD!!! you're Ok.
Well, it was kind of wild... To be real honest with all of you, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me - even though I've had a bunch of people tell me that I should've been REALLY messed up from it... :shrug:

Sasa is right tho, you're gonna have some natural fears for a couple of weeks....& Your reflexes are gonna be paranoid too...
Well, that lasted for about a day or so - I absolutely HATED that feeling so much that I forced my way through it. Now my wife's already telling me that I drive too fast again.. Although on the other hand, I am noticeably more calm with a lot of my driving...

also your entire body is gonna be sore & ache...
Again, that lasted for about a day, maybe some of the muscle stiffness, etc. went a bit longer. Overall though, I've been pretty good, worked through a 12-hr shift about 36 hrs later...

If you have the right insurance it needs to reported & file a claim so that ins.will pay...
Well, so far, we've been golden in that dept. - the adjuster dropped by the shop a couple days after we turned it in, gave us a check to cover the repairs, & told us if anything else turned up, let them know & they'd cut another check. No probs, no hassle!

Most likely you need to go to an attorney & let them force the ins.company to do everything they are supposed to.
Well, not yet!

Don't work so hard, get plenty of rest...
Ehhh, I've just gotten this job, it's a decent job, & they seem to like me fairly well, so if I play my cards right, I could be golden!
Besides, I've wanted to build a cool car my whole life, & now that I'm finally in a position to where maybe I can, hell, I'm gonna go for it!

& DON'T lift anything over 15 lbs.
Wait a second, let me get this straight - are you trying to tell me that now I have to sit down to pee?!?

I'm so glad yall are Ok. Take care Tim & Wife...
Laters, Keli D.
Thanks for the well-wishes Keli, back at ya.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by xlwhellraiser
Mr.Rumble (you don't mind if I call you that right??)
Lot nicer than some of the things I've been called!

there are junk yards that I hit up at least once every 2-3 weeks. I was at colorado JY today snaging some z28 badges for my, soon to be, car. If I read this post sooner, I would have been looking for those rims today.
Anyway, you gimmie the size, style and what car they came from, and I will be calling you from different JY's with price quotes.
Thanks Sasha, I'll send you a PM a bit later when I have a bit more time...

'gotta stay positive!
Got that right!