Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Question about staging lights...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts
Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31
Question about staging lights...

I posted this on another forum. One person responded (the quoted, italicized part), but no one else did as they probably just don't know. Please input if you KNOW how the system works. No speculation please. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
....Also, since there is only one staging beam, you get a bit of "free" time at the start. Normally, there are two staging beams, which forces you to drive further forward to stage completely. Here when you hit the (one) beam, both lights come on and you're staged. At a regular strip, only one staging light would come on, and you'd have to drive forward another 6" to trigger the second light and be STAGED....

*brake to a later post->....Yeah, I have that part all sorted out; what I mean is, I fully understand that the shallower I stage, the better E.T. I can potentially get. On my 12.89 run, I stopped the car the INSTANT the front tire cut the beam and the (two) staging lights lit up, so I had the whole "lenth" of the front tire to get a "head start". I was my UNDERSTANDING, that on a dual beam (NHRA certified) set up, the time started when the tire cleared the first beam. Therefore, the existance of a second beam forcing you to pull further forward to stage would make it harder to achieve this "advantage", E.T. wise. This UNDERSTANDING led me to believe that I had an unfair advantage at the Wendover track and had I made the SAME exact pass at a NHRA (dual beam) certified track, my time would have been closer to 13.00. A fellow forum member PM'ed me and says otherwise. Here is what he said;
..."your understanding of how the timing works is incorrect. That isn't the way the lights/timing system works. With 2 beams crossing the track at the starting line, the first beam ONLY serves to turn the pre-staged light on and off. The pre-stage light is not connected to the timing system. All the pre-staged light does is provide a warning as to when you are close to the staging light beam. If you stage really shallow, you get the full width (length?) of your front tire (at the height of the beam off of the track) as your roll out, the 10" you refer to. The pre-staged beam doesn't hold any distance in reserve for you. All that matters, one beam or two, is how far you have ventured into that second beam, and how much of that example of 10" you have "burned" by going in too deep. You may even recall seeing cars at RMR that "deep staged". That is when they roll into the beams far enough to turn off the pre-staged light. Further proof that the pre-staged light is nothing but a warning."

This person has EXTENSIVE drag racing experience. If what he says is true, and I believe that it is, then I did in fact, run a legitimate, 12.89 at 4500' elevation, with a DA of 7400'....and that's not bad.

Last edited by Tom 400 CFI; 09-01-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 400 ci LS3
Transmission: Jerico DR4
the first beam ONLY serves to turn the pre-staged light on and off
This is correct.
I was my UNDERSTANDING, that on a dual beam (NHRA certified) set up, the time started when the tire cleared the first beam.
This is incorrect.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
I agree but there's actually 3 lights. The third is called a guard beam that's just forward of the starting line stage beam. The guard beam is what determines the roll out. It's located 16" out from the starting line and if it's triggered before the stage light goes out, you red light. This prevents things like low hanging objects on the front of the car trying to gain an unfair advantage. You could also have a low oil pan or headers keeping the stage light lit as the front tires break the guard beam.

Everything is based on the second beam. Theoretically, when you deep stage, you are a few inches closer to the finish line and could run a slightly quicker time. Will you notice the difference? Probably not.

There are different ways to stage. To get consistency, you want to stage in the same spot every time. Once your prestage light is on, move ahead until you just turn on the stage light. This is a shallow stage. If you stop just when the stage light comes on, you'll stop in the same spot and same distance from the start line every time. If you roll ahead slightly, you'll shorten the distance and it's hard to know if you're in the same spot every time. A few inches can make a big difference in your reaction time.

Vehicles that are slow off the line can get better reaction times by deep staging. This means you roll ahead after turning on the stage light until the prestage light goes off. The distance between the lights isn't much so if you go too far, you red light. Once you turn off the stage light by driving through it, the timer starts. If you stall on the start line but don't break the stage beam, you can fire up the engine and still go. You'll have a terrible reaction time because the reaction timer starts when the green light comes on but your ET won't change. The goal is to getting a reaction time as close to possible. That means as soon as the green light comes on, you're breaking the stage beam and starting the ET timer. In all racing whether heads up or brackets, reaction time can win or lose a race. Be asleep at the tree but run exactly what you dialed in and you'll lose unless your opponent was even worse.

Shallow staging increases your reaction time (slower), reduces your elapsed time and increases trap speed, while being the safe choice for beginners. Deep staging decreases your reaction time (better), increases elapsed time and reduces the final trap speed, putting you at the edge of disqualification so it should be reserved for experienced racers.

Having a tall front tire helps cover the beams better because of the larger area it covers on the ground. This can allow better times and has less of a chance of red lighting. Once you turn on the stage light, a tall tire will roll forward more before turning off the light.

Having a 12 second car in Denver, Utah or Calgary is a great feat. High altitude racing really shows how much power can be lost in the bad air.

Last edited by AlkyIROC; 09-01-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: th350
The single stage light is kinda outdated now. Back in the 60s they dident wory about staging that much. You could start right b4 the light or 2 feet away they dident realy care. The problem with that is back then instead of you sitting in the middle of the beam and moving forward to start your time, they had it set up to where you start behind the beam and when you roll through it your time starts. They got rid of this somewhere in the late 60s or earlily 70s (not shure of time it was kinda b4 my time) because as tires were improving and people acturaly hooking up instead of spinning half track. For the longest time they couldent figure out why when 2 simular cars would race one might have a crappy reaction time and run a rediculas et and still lose. This was happining because people were lifting the front tires over the beam and acturaly breaking them with the rear tires.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:07 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 406
Axle/Gears: Moser 31 spline / 4.86
wow, our Density Altitude is usually around 3400 in the middle of the day, and then 2300 or so as the night goes on when I check it at the track.

Last edited by 1bad406; 09-03-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71
Another thing about staging that wasn't brought up here yet, is courtesy staging which I feel very strongly about.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:29 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 406
Axle/Gears: Moser 31 spline / 4.86
Originally Posted by KWIK84
Another thing about staging that wasn't brought up here yet, is courtesy staging which I feel very strongly about.
ORSCA has an "unwritten" courtesy stage rule. But you have to watch some of the guys, they can't react on a pro tree very well without going deep, so they like to rush up on you and double bulb before you can even get your prestage light on so they can roll deep.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts
Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31
Wow...that was a lot of info that I didn't need! It's always interesting reading though.

All I really wanted to know, was if my 12.89 at the near by track that uses a single beam...if that time was legitimate or not. I THOUGHT that I had an unfair advantage w/the single beam, but according to the poster on the other forum, and Time2Fly on here, I was wrong, and my 12.89 was legitimate. Which I'm pretty damn fired up about. Actually, given the DA of the day, I'm VERY fired up about it!

-Tom

Last edited by Tom 400 CFI; 09-04-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
The single beam is the same as the stage light. It's directly on the start line. You can roll through it slightly to be a couple of inches closer to the finish line but when the tree is activated and as soon as it's unblocked, the ET timer starts.

The other starting line lights are only for information and fairness, they have nothing to do with the ET timer.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71
Originally Posted by 1bad406
ORSCA has an "unwritten" courtesy stage rule. But you have to watch some of the guys, they can't react on a pro tree very well without going deep, so they like to rush up on you and double bulb before you can even get your prestage light on so they can roll deep.
At my local track during points rounds of elemination if you don not courtesy stage it is a first time warning (for the year) second time is a DQ!!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Nobody mentioned "autostart". Starter hits the button when both are prestaged, you have 15 seconds to stage after the other guy does or you're redlighted out. I suppose that could work with a single beam as well.

Burndowns wouldn't be as exciting with a single beam, either.