Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

How do you turn into a professional racer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Moser 31 spline / 4.86
Re: How do you turn into a professional racer?

This isn't the 70's. No way you can make a living sportsman racing unless you have someone just willing to shell out money to put their name or product on the side of your car. And to get into the Pro classes, you have to know the right people, or already have some money.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shagwell
IMO(drag racing point-of-view only), a true "professional racer" has to be able to give-up everything for at least 8-10 years of their life. Between gaining the needed experience, promoting/selling yourself, and funding yourself through that period you won't have time for anything outside of your racing.

We spend roughly $300 to go to an evening test session locally, and somewhere around $1000 on a typical local race weekend, $2k+ on anything out-of-state; both numbers being w/o any major breakage and we have a motorhome that does reasonably well mpg wise(dually pick-up wouldn't get nearly enough better to offset a hotel room cost). - That just covers me as the driver & my dad for crew; if any other of the family comes the costs go up.

Takes a long time covering your own expenses & making a name for yourself before anyone would consider giving you a large enough sponsorship to make a reasonable dent in those expenses.

Shagwell-it is like picking which reply to answer or which fire to put out.LOL

Guys connect the dots.From flipping cars,to a business selling used parts,to strong support from manufactures and or deep discounts,to full boat sponsors,to top four finishes for more yrs than I can count,to over thirty yrs in the business,to self contained build of engines and cars.That's how a sportsman's racing ends up in the role of a professional profitable drag racer.

I am going to say what I have been told everytime to say when I enter in a conversion about this.You can only teach the willing.

Shagwell-you running a big shot of nitrous??.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

sounds like you're doing a lot more than just racing though. you have a "Automotive Performance Industry Business" and you happen to race. that's not what the OP wants to do...he wants his sole income to come from driving. your income is from a lot of different areas of the industry, not just driving.

this may sound simple to you since you've been doing it for 100years, but to someone who has never been down a dragstrip, the stuff you're saying is asking a lot.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

He needs to get some seat time at a driver's school first.Then see how he feels.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

There ya go---
Hit up 1gary as am interim sponsor!
Maybe his company can get you parts at more reasonable costs!!??!!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 91 L98 long block with Pro-jection
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 91 10bolt w/ 3.42s and T2R

Just throwing out there to the original inquiry about Road Racing---

Read the articles here- http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/blog/articles/

No BS, just real world info.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by SCCAjunkie
Just throwing out there to the original inquiry about Road Racing---

Read the articles here- http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/blog/articles/

No BS, just real world info.
Didn't know how the driver situation worked for road racing.There in that article is alot to digest/read.Going to spend time on that.Good post.I would think the same applies to this O/P is he would have to attend a driver school long before he could drive anything.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: projects.......

Originally Posted by 1gary
Shagwell-it is like picking which reply to answer or which fire to put out.LOL

Guys connect the dots.From flipping cars,to a business selling used parts,to strong support from manufactures and or deep discounts,to full boat sponsors,to top four finishes for more yrs than I can count,to over thirty yrs in the business,to self contained build of engines and cars.That's how a sportsman's racing ends up in the role of a professional profitable drag racer.

I am going to say what I have been told everytime to say when I enter in a conversion about this.You can only teach the willing.

Shagwell-you running a big shot of nitrous??.
The nitrous motor runs a considerable amount of spay, the blower motor burns a considerable amount of alky. - They both eat parts from time to time, but that's the name of the game in REAL drag racing where both cars leave the line at the same time and whomever gets there first wins.

As Matt pointed out, making your living within the racing industry as you're talking about is very different from making your living just as a "professional driver".
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Just give me 10% of Danica's Go Daddy web site's profit and I would be a happy man in deed.The point I am making is there isn't any professional driver out there making real money that isn't apart of the industry in one way or another.Has to have the "looks" and be able to be a spokesman for the sponsor.

Last edited by 1gary; 06-19-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Has to have the "looks" and be able to be a spokesman for the sponsor.
in this day and age, i would say that is a majority of it. its not so much about a driver's talent, its about their marketability. best route to success imo, is to start out driving/racing and bounce around for a few years moving your way up the food chain. look professional, act professional, and carry yourself in a professional manner and eventually someone from the big boys might notice you. once in the big leagues i can see plenty of money rolling your way. again, you won't be getting paid for being a driver at that point, you'll be getting paid to put people in the stands and to put your sponsors goods into the hands of people.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: projects.......

^ 100% agreed
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

But for you guys to think seriously about....................Nothing ever changes unless you change it.Want-a-stay where you are is where your going be.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Car: White 84 z28
Engine: Chevy 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Posi and?

Thanks guys for all the responses.

So it sounds to me like a good start would be bracket racing. Although I would prefer road racing to it I like both and think drag racing is more common in my area (I live in the pacific northwest correct me if im wrong). And ofcourse get into some driving schools.

Im now a senior in highschool and next year Im probably going to get into a mechanic school of sorts, because I can save lots of money doing the work myself. Also if I start drag racing I figure I can later go into road racing, bounce back and forth until one of the two (or both) starts going better for me.

As for the car flipping, Is there any alternative besides a really fat wallet? Does anyone know if you can get by selling off the old motor, tranny, ect? I really like my car and always wanted to turn it into a racer, but I see what you guys mean on how investing in one car can hold you back. Should I just build it for brackets, then when I step up sell off the extra parts and park it? Or park it now, save up and start with a car that I have minimal attatchment to. (Someday I would like to turn it into a classic, matching numbers car, just not anyday soon)
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by blue birdy 87
As for the car flipping, Is there any alternative besides a really fat wallet? Does anyone know if you can get by selling off the old motor, tranny, ect? I really like my car and always wanted to turn it into a racer, but I see what you guys mean on how investing in one car can hold you back. Should I just build it for brackets, then when I step up sell off the extra parts and park it? Or park it now, save up and start with a car that I have minimal attatchment to. (Someday I would like to turn it into a classic, matching numbers car, just not anyday soon)
the big money cars sell for pennies on the dollar. i do not see there being much money flipping cars. if you got a big deal on one, i could see you flipping it and making $1-2k or so on a $5k car. but in all honesty, thats alot of work for just a little bit of gain. -not worth it.
i would venture to say you would come out better buying cars and parting them out.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
the big money cars sell for pennies on the dollar. i do not see there being much money flipping cars. if you got a big deal on one, i could see you flipping it and making $1-2k or so on a $5k car. but in all honesty, thats alot of work for just a little bit of gain. -not worth it.
i would venture to say you would come out better buying cars and parting them out.
I disagree.If we haven't done it,I wouldn't post it and have heard this time and again they you can't do that......................
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

As in every thread,there comes a time when you read through the info provided and make a decision on what you can use or not.This thread I think has reached that point where anything more would be just a repeat of what has been posted already.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LC9
Transmission: AR5
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Didn't know how the driver situation worked for road racing.There in that article is alot to digest/read.Going to spend time on that.Good post.I would think the same applies to this O/P is he would have to attend a driver school long before he could drive anything.
I don't know how it is on the drag race side, but in road racing, you don't need talent as much as you need $$$ (see: Tim Allen ) to race as a "pro."

Pat
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

All of the above and.....who you know.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

I disagree.If we haven't done it,I wouldn't post it and have heard this time and again they you can't do that......................
people are having a hard time selling anything right now, much less a high dollar race car. race cars are not a NEED.
a couple of big name x275 cars just sold for around $50k recently, and i know they had at least double that in the cars.
another guy was TRYING to sell his 4.80 capable x275 nitrous engine for $10,000.
shoot, you can buy a complete sb2.2 cup motor intake to oilpan with accessories for $10,000. pennies on the dollar.

you will not see a car with $20,000 tied up in it selling for $50,000.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Exactly my point all along.It is a buyer's market.How bad you beat up the seller is directly related to the profit made on the resale after turning it into a proven winner.Your looking at the wrong way at market value when it was purchased miles away from that.Then on the resale you make it sound like another "my lost is your gain" sale.Well not really.LOL!!.

A repeat of what I told you guys before.Nothing changes unless you change the way you do business!!.

Last edited by 1gary; 07-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Exactly my point all along.It is a buyer's market.How bad you beat up the seller is directly related to the profit made on the resale after turning it into a proven winner.Your looking at the wrong way at market value when it was purchased miles away from that.Then on the resale you make it sound like another "my lost is your gain" sale.Well not really.LOL!!.

A repeat of what I told you guys before.Nothing changes unless you change the way you do business!!.
im just going to have to say "ok." i've bought tons of used stuff, including cars, and if i break even i am doing great. making a profit off used stuff rarely happens.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Supreme Member

Diggler-ok.I know based on your other posts you have been in drag racing for awhile.(respect)So let's say you start viewing your drag race operation as a business.It is a game changer.Your buying looking forward at a profit your going to be making.Your getting sponsors making deals so your costs are covered and putting cash in your account for personal appearances off track for your sponsors.Your capitalizing on contingency money placing well at regional events.You have positioned yourself in a class for the sole reason that class has those possibilities and your good in that class.( I know of a guy under the radar in a 10.90 class car(s) that is doing very well for yrs doing this)Your moving money through the business looking at them as assets and stop the money pit activity of falling in love with anything.One day you wake up and stand back amazed at the business your hard work has paid off and the cash(profit) you have on hand.It's that day you now have reached the professional level of sportsman racing never to look back again.It's that day you want more and more and your plotting out your next move to even a better class that pays more...........
Old 07-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Supreme Member

Diggler-ok.I know based on your other posts you have been in drag racing for awhile.(respect)So let's say you start viewing your drag race operation as a business.It is a game changer.Your buying looking forward at a profit your going to be making.Your getting sponsors making deals so your costs are covered and putting cash in your account for personal appearances off track for your sponsors.Your capitalizing on contingency money placing well at regional events.You have positioned yourself in a class for the sole reason that class has those possibilities and your good in that class.( I know of a guy under the radar in a 10.90 class car(s) that is doing very well for yrs doing this)Your moving money through the business looking at them as assets and stop the money pit activity of falling in love with anything.One day you wake up and stand back amazed at the business your hard work has paid off and the cash(profit) you have on hand.It's that day you now have reached the professional level of sportsman racing never to look back again.It's that day you want more and more and your plotting out your next move to even a better class that pays more...........
ok.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Getting sponsors? Better be at almost a national level.

Go in it for fun because you enjoy it. If it turns into something than so be it but dont count on paying any bills from racing.

You can create a "business" for tax purposes but be real careful on that one.

Bracket racing is good for experience but dont expect to make any money outsde of maybe a pot that night.

Its a real expensive hobby!! Guys out there with 7 and 8 sec doorslammers that dont get any "help" other than working hard financing their house to the hilt etc. Cost BIG money to go that fast.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

report a "loss" 3-4 years in a row and they'll be on you like white on rice.
a business makes money. a hobby is a loss. can't claim a hobby on your taxes.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Getting sponsors? Better be at almost a national level.

Go in it for fun because you enjoy it. If it turns into something than so be it but dont count on paying any bills from racing.

Bracket racing is good for experience but dont expect to make any money outsde of maybe a pot that night.

Its a real expensive hobby!! Guys out there with 7 and 8 sec doorslammers that dont get any "help" other than working hard financing their house to the hilt etc. Cost BIG money to go that fast.

Have you done it??Seriously have you turned it into a business??.Well there you go,until you have,you can't say it can't be done.Right??.