Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

What is your autocross suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
What is your autocross suspension setup?

Hey guys! So I've made a few threads like this, and I'm sure I can search for individual stuff, but I'm hoping to compile everyone's suspension setups into one thread. I'm wondering exactly what you've done that isn't stock, what class your car is in, and how well you think your setup handles! Mainly wondering because I'm setting my car up for autocross soon here and I have no idea what the best handling aftermarket suspension stuff is for an otherwise stock car. Mainly wondering about the basic stuff like struts/springs and sway bars. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR
Re: What is your autocross suspension setup?

What level driver are you? What are the rules for the class you want to run in? Maybe get the best tires you're allowed before worrying about other mods.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM

What level driver am I? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have a decent amount of experience autocrossing, and no longer race in the novice class. Have you autocrossed a thirdgen with stock suspension?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR

Many posters ask about different track set ups without giving much if any background information. Experience, skill level, current car set up, if they need to run in a certain class, budget etc. etc. It all helps when anyone wants to add their two cents worth. There are many many threads with expert level advice on suspension set ups and components. I've auto-crossed 3rd gen with stock original suspension and it still took me some time to be as good as the car. I've been reading the threads on what to do next too.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM

I agree that more information would be better. I haven't decided what class I'll try to set this car up for and I would probably rather set the car up to handle well and just end up in whatever class that puts me in, as long as I don't put the car in a modified class. No matter what, just doing suspension work won't put me in a class I don't want to be in. I also agree that inexperienced drivers over modify their cars. I disagree though that I need to reach this car's limit before upgrading the suspension (something that I suspect will happen after 2 or 3 events anyway). It would be pretty pointless to learn the car on stock suspension, then have to relearn it on upgraded suspension. If I were a novice though I would certainly not want to waste my money on upgrades.