Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Thirdgen Race Cars - Check out my Article on Jalopnik

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Thirdgen Race Cars - Check out my Article on Jalopnik

Hi all, check out my recent article on Jalopnik about Group 7B (and a little about Group 4B). 7B had a ton of thirdgens in it, so there are lots of photos in there.

Link:
The Monterey Motorsports Reunion Is Why You Should Always Meet Your Heroes

Preview Pic:
Attached Thumbnails Thirdgen Race Cars - Check out my Article on Jalopnik-rtbfxsrolfkwv2sceeey.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Re: Thirdgen Race Cars - Check out my Article on Jalopnik

Great work Kurt - both the pictures & the text!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in awe. The photography is absolutely masterful, and still takes second seat to the writing. Well done, sir, and thank you.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 748 Likes on 507 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Nice work!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

That is one hot pink car!

Third gens are not an ultimate road race car but they are better suited for road racing than everything else we put them through. I chose a third gen for a drag car and if I had to do it all again, I'd probably would have used a G-body or go straight to something like a tube chassis altered. We road race them. We autocross them. We drag race them. They've been beat up on oval tracks and I'm sure somewhere, someone has used them for rally racing.

Lots of road race events were made specifically for the third gen. IROC and Players Challange are 2 that come to mind. With the IROC series, the entire field had identical cars that the teams could do very minimal modifications to. That means it was more of a drivers race than it was about having the best car.

This road course race is the same as most others. Lots of different types of cars going around the track but they're each running in different classes. One car isn't really better than another because they're not supposed to be. I'd rather race around a road course in an old Porsche or AC Cobra before using a third gen just because of how they handle but then those cars are in completely different classes.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 92 CAMARO RALLY SPORT
Engine: 383 sbc w/250 shot of nitrous
Transmission: AMERICAN POWERTRAIN- EXTREME TKX
Axle/Gears: STRANGE ENG. 12 BOLT 3:90 SPOOL

Fantastic article , great pictures what is not to like.
Brings me back to the glory days when I used to watch these cars being flung around The old Road America track with my Dad..

Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Great job, my man!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R

I just read that article earlier today. Was watching a recorded episode of Americarna today where Evernham races with Bill Elliot in a Pro-Am vintage race at Indy. They had a quick clip of the Duracell Camaro. Google searched it and came across your article. Nice work!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: Trans Am/IMSA GTO Camaro.
Engine: V8
Transmission: Weisman 5 speed.
Axle/Gears: Winters w/ Torsen Gleason 4.11

Kurt thank you for all the great photos in your article!
We enjoyed spectating the pre reunion and reunion.
The Duracell Camaro was awesome and loud and it won, beat the RX7 4 rotor.
Walking into Seca pits I really missed not having my 3rd gen at the event.

One reason I really like the 3rd gen body on my tube chassis road race car is that the large front windshield provides excellent visibility.
I can see right in front of the car.

Rumors are that in 2018 they will be trying to bring back the Coronado vintage races, wait and see.
2018 the early trans am cars will be at Long Beach...
maybe our later model Trans Am (3rd gen Camaros) will be invited to the LBGP in 2019?
Attached Thumbnails Thirdgen Race Cars - Check out my Article on Jalopnik-img_2449.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: Trans Am/IMSA GTO Camaro.
Engine: V8
Transmission: Weisman 5 speed.
Axle/Gears: Winters w/ Torsen Gleason 4.11

The best seat to watch the Duracell Camaro from is right behind it.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC

Third gens are not an ultimate road race car but they are better suited for road racing than everything else we put them through. I chose a third gen for a drag car and if I had to do it all again, I'd probably would have used a G-body or go straight to something like a tube chassis altered. We road race them. We autocross them. We drag race them. They've been beat up on oval tracks and I'm sure somewhere, someone has used them for rally racing.
I'm curious why you say that they're better suited for road racing than drag racing? The only reasons that I can think of to go g-body over f-body for drag racing (things like more headroom for a halo bar, better access to things in the engine bay...) would apply to road racing just like drag racing.

Otherwise, f-bodies, especially 3rd and 4th gens make very good cars for both. I can't think of any other car that has a stock suspension that works as well in both a straight line and in the curves, that has as many engine choices/ease of swapping other drivetrains... People will try to point out Mustangs are more popular but they typically need more work to do as well in either, a straight line or turning. There are even classes in road racing and autox that allow Mustang owners to swap TA rear suspensions to be competitive with f-bodies where the f-body owners are not allowed similar changes.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
Great work Kurt - both the pictures & the text!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Pyroviking
I'm in awe. The photography is absolutely masterful, and still takes second seat to the writing. Well done, sir, and thank you.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TTOP350
Nice work!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC

Lots of road race events were made specifically for the third gen. IROC and Players Challange are 2 that come to mind. With the IROC series, the entire field had identical cars that the teams could do very minimal modifications to. That means it was more of a drivers race than it was about having the best car.

This road course race is the same as most others. Lots of different types of cars going around the track but they're each running in different classes. One car isn't really better than another because they're not supposed to be. I'd rather race around a road course in an old Porsche or AC Cobra before using a third gen just because of how they handle but then those cars are in completely different classes.
The cars in this article are very removed from street cars. They are mostly tube chassis cars with thirdgen-style sheetmetal draped over them. I do agree that, when completely stock, thirdgens are best suited for the road course.

Originally Posted by MY-92-RS
Fantastic article , great pictures what is not to like.
Brings me back to the glory days when I used to watch these cars being flung around The old Road America track with my Dad..

Thanks!

Originally Posted by chazman
Great job, my man!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by GMan 3MT
I just read that article earlier today. Was watching a recorded episode of Americarna today where Evernham races with Bill Elliot in a Pro-Am vintage race at Indy. They had a quick clip of the Duracell Camaro. Google searched it and came across your article. Nice work!
Cool! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Passmenow
Kurt thank you for all the great photos in your article!
We enjoyed spectating the pre reunion and reunion.
The Duracell Camaro was awesome and loud and it won, beat the RX7 4 rotor.
Walking into Seca pits I really missed not having my 3rd gen at the event.

One reason I really like the 3rd gen body on my tube chassis road race car is that the large front windshield provides excellent visibility.
I can see right in front of the car.

Rumors are that in 2018 they will be trying to bring back the Coronado vintage races, wait and see.
2018 the early trans am cars will be at Long Beach...
maybe our later model Trans Am (3rd gen Camaros) will be invited to the LBGP in 2019?
Glad you enjoyed it! I was definitely thinking of your car when I saw the impressive field of thirdgens.

Originally Posted by Passmenow
The best seat to watch the Duracell Camaro from is right behind it.
https://youtu.be/WdhwY6sqq1M?t=2m51s
Incredible! Thanks for sharing... Sonoma isn't too far away, maybe I'll have to go.