Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Bottle Temp??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottle Temp??

I'm in sunny Florida and most of the time I open up the bottle I only get 600 or 700 psi. WTF??? It's hot as hell on some days but it never gets to 1000psi (as recomended) on its own. Is heating it w/ a propane torch a dumb thing to do? I know there can be disasterous conditions under extreme tempratures but just for a few minutes (watching pressure guage of course) shouldn't hurt any......right???
I'm bone dry on funds b/c one thing leads to another and don't want to by a warmer.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chevyboy07 91:
Is heating it w/ a propane torch a dumb thing to do? </font>
Not if you don't care if you survive the experience. Nitrous bottle explosions will literally turn the car inside out. If you want to heat the bottle that way, I'm glad you're in Florida. As far from me as possible. A bottle heater only costs around $100. You can probably find one for less on ebay.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:51 PM

It is only a dumb idea once, after that you dont feel a thing.

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/NOS2.htm

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI, 01 HP
r71chevy@earthlink.net
www.r71camaro.homestead.com
Old 04-05-2001, 04:16 PM

l would actually reccomend this, since youre low on funds, do you have an electric blanket/pillow heater? if so, plug it in before your runs and let it (safely) warm up , and if you don't do you have an electric heating gun, something other than a blow torch, something that doesnt emit a flame, if that doesnt work be really careful and watch the bottle carefully the blow off tube will pop before the bottle busts, but lve seen some really nasty bottle bursts, tearing off wheels, quarter panels, trunks, gas tanks etc. if you dont have an electric type blanket, go to a pharmacy l would guess, lm thinking theyre a lot cheaper than an NOS bottle heater and do basically the same thing.
Old 04-05-2001, 06:02 PM

The other thing about Nitrous Oxide (N2O) is that the critical point is at 98°F. If you heat a bottle of N2O past 98°F, no matter what pressure your at, N2O will not be in the liquid phase, but in a gas phase. The jetting of nitrous is for liquid N2O to come out of the sprayer.

If you run an electric blanket, run TWO thermostats in series and powered by ignition. An indicator light that is ON when power is applied to the blanket should also be added. What happened to the SHO (I think its a SHO) is fricken scarry. Imaging if you were driving at the time when the bottle goes BAMM! Your dead!

[This message has been edited by a73camaro (edited April 05, 2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 12:22 AM

It was a Maxima.
Old 04-07-2001, 12:59 AM

Car: 91 z82
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: pro-built 700r4: 2400 stall
WOW thats a pretty good exposion

I've blown up a 70lb co2 bottle with a high powered dear rifle FROM FARFARFAR away and that was FREAKIN crazy but that has to take the cake there's nothin left

makes me want to check the blow off disk more often

BTW what is the all around best bottle temp.??? to achive 1000-1100 psi?

------------------
Hecubus
Check out my new site http://www.geocities.com/hecubus91
91-Z28 305 Tpi "G92" mods-- K$N/Foil/Cat Back 3" Flowmaster/3" High Flow Cat/B&M shifter/ Intrax Springs/ Kyb Shock's-Struts's/Poly Bushings/Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/ 100-150 Nos Wet Plate System/ 155lph Fuel Pump/ Holly Adj. Fuel Press. Regulator/Digital Fuel, voltage & Oil Press Guage's/MSD 6al/ Blaster coil/ Optima,Yellow top batt.

"I spent all my money on race cars, beer, and Broads... The Rest I wasted"
Old 04-07-2001, 11:57 PM

Heating the bottle with a torch would be a terrible idea. Even if you looked at the gauges, the bottle would still be hotter in the direct area of contact that the average temp shown by the gauge. You shuold also be concerened with the safety of the others around you, not just yourself.
Old 04-09-2001, 01:56 AM

Car: '86 IROC-Z + Misc. project cars.
Engine: Supercharged + Nitrous TPI 355 CID
Transmission: Art Carr built Th700r4
The previous post touched on the most serious potential problem with using a torch. It isn't actually just too high of a bottle pressure you have to worry about while heating with a torch. It is he centralized, concentrated heat source. The consentrated, uneven heat fatigues the metal. Also if you happen to have a nitrous leak it could have explosive results.
A lot of people do it this way, but that doesn't make it smart.
Anyone recommending using a torch to heat a bottle is wanting to be sued by the surviving family.

------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
'86 IROC-Z Camaro
"Cogito ergo zoom"
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • Arizona Speed & Marine hydraulic roller cam w/ AFR hydra-rev kit
  • modified SLP runners
  • TRW forged pistons/ceramic coated
  • fully balanced
  • Edelbrock headers/ceramic coated
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger
  • Nitrous Express nitrous oxide
My IROC-Z
EFI Performance Club on Yahoo
Club IROC-Z
Old 04-09-2001, 12:55 PM

Good imput guys. I used to walk around the pits making fun of the people who were doing this and then I started doing it. What an *** huh? Anyway, I wasn't planning on doing this forever. I just wanted to test the system. I'm gonna buy a bottle heater so I don't have that lingering feeling of something going WAY wrong. Also, until it comes, I figured a blow dryer isn't so bad. Also, very hot water in a cooler and letting the bottle stand in it for a couple minutes. Well.....at least it's better than a flame LOL
Old 04-09-2001, 10:58 PM

yeah nice call chevy, a flames sort of dangerous, and although it probly works pretty well, its a little crazy. Before you blow a whole buncha cash on an NOS bottle heater check out the drug store or something and see what they got as far as pillow heaters, l've got one that fits right in between the bottle and the mounts, and when l need to heat it, l just plug it in, it's got 3 different settings, l get it up to like 100 degrees, then l put a blanket that l found at my house over it. works awesome, and the blankets a ton cheaper than the NOS one and plugs right into any electrical outlet.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:31 PM

Worring about an NOS leak while heating a bottle is a mute point. NOS is not flamable in the open. It is an excellerent for an already conbustible material (oxygen). Heating a bottle with a torch weakens the bottle and will lead to a failure. The NOS bottle warmer keeps the bottle at 85 degrees.

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird 350/Six Speed
1987 Toyota Pickup 383/500+ HP