Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

what can i do to make my car kick a**?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what can i do to make my car kick a**?

look at specs. i want to be fast really fast

------------------
92' White Pontiac Firebird V8 5.0 Liter 305 Horsepower
Old 09-09-2001, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Well you can start out by realizing that 305 is the cubic inches of the motor....not the horsepower rating as indicated in your sig. Hp factory rating is probably closer to 170 depending on exactly which engine you have.

Then realize that "making my car kick *** " is a completely subjective question. Take some time, do some more research, some more reading on books and on the boards here, and form a little more cohesive goal for your car. Then start asking about what it'll take to get it there and what your options are.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 09-09-2001, 03:41 PM

if u have the money, then i say ramjet 502, lol. check out these links and tell me what you think http://www.hioutput.com/tech/343hp/343hp.html and http://www.newcovenant.com/firebird/engine.htm

[This message has been edited by dale davidson (edited September 09, 2001).]
Old 09-09-2001, 09:45 PM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Maybe the Power Adder forum is the wrong place for a basic question like this... I'm thinking General Tech is a better place to start.

To answer the question, nitrous is the easiest. Heads, cam, exhaust, intake, 350 cubic inch engine... or a 502 would all be better places to start!

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock with the exception of the Holley 750vac... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in...

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 09-10-2001, 01:29 PM

well, everyone seems to be having a different opinion on what you should do, but they are right on what room you're in. my advice would be keep it simple. you can do plenty with what you have for now. but before anything, try to learn a little more and maybe make some friends that can help. i can guarantee that being female and into American rear-wheel-drive cars, there are plenty of guys that will throw themselves at your feet. Just be careful, because most of them are only wannabe gearheads that think they already know more than what they really ever will. if you weren't quite so far away, i would be glad to lend a wrench and opinion to help a girl get involved in cars. i wish that i could meet more girls that are into cars, even though it can be quite intimidating when they can outdo me at anything car-related. but, back to your car, put on a k&n, aluminum intake, cat-back exhaust, maybe headers and a chip, rear control arms, and other small things to work up to the big ones. you'll get to know your car better and be beaming with self pride because of it. feel free to email me with any questions you may have aat www.hipergp@aol.com
Old 09-10-2001, 04:47 PM

Car: 1990 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
The MAIN question you have to ask yourself is, would the mods be worth it? I mean, I dont know how much you paid for the car, but if it is a 92 Firebird T/A or Formula- in the T/A, the 305ci V8 was TPI and made about 210 horsepower and 285 ft lbs of torque. In the Formula, TBI restricted output to about 170 horsepower and 240 ft lbs of torque. 0-60 time in the TPI version is probably in the 7's, and in the mid 8's with the TBI. Anyway, making a long story short, if you paid a lot for the car, I would say you can spend a lot on it. If you paid next to nothing for it, insurance companies arent gonna give a s--- about any aftermarket parts you put in it if you total it. However, you want quick speed, a supercharger is probably your quickest way to get it, but you will pay about $2000 for the kit and even more for installation if you arent a do-it-yourselfer. Start with the easiest mods- cat back exhaust, k+n airfilters, headers, etc. That will give you a little bit more pickup throughout your rpm range. After that, the mods just get more expensive, like a chip, bigger intake runners from SLP, cam, etc. Those will cost you a bit. Go to www.summitracing.com and sign up for their free catalog. They are really good about prices and delivery, plus their catalog has a lot of good stuff in it that you can look at. Good luck with your ride!

------------------
305IrocZ28- Al
1990 Iroc-z 305 TPI auto, Flowmaster exhaust, 2 Rockford 10'' Punch woofers w/ 160a2 amp, 2.73 rear (1650 rpms @ 60mph)
Old 09-10-2001, 08:00 PM

get a cat-back to start with slp seems nice but it'll cost ya..alot of people seem to like borla..I like flowmaster myself but borla is nice too

------------------
1988 Sport Coupe 305 TBI
K&N
Flowmaster 80

Daily driver:
1988 K1500 5.7 4x4 shortbed flowmaster cat-back gutted cat.
AOL: RyanNH84