Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Cheap Power Adders On 305 TBI

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: Not Posi :(
Cheap Power Adders On 305 TBI

Hi, I have a 305 TBI Camaro. I have very limited funds and I really want to add some power to my baby/car. Please post some ideas and pics if you have added the adders to your car already.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: TURBO 94 LT1
Transmission: T-56 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 4.10
Re: Cheap Power Adders On 305 TBI

Cheapest quick fix is nitrous. Beware though it can toast a motor in no time if not set-up correctly.

I ran a 150 shot on my stock lt1 for 3 yrs with no problems so longevity is possible.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Slick89RS
Cheapest quick fix is nitrous. Beware though it can toast a motor in no time if not set-up correctly.

I ran a 150 shot on my stock lt1 for 3 yrs with no problems so longevity is possible.
Yeah, but I don't think I can get nitrous. I'm only 16 and I just really want something that I can either go pretty quick from street light to street light, or something to really push it on the highway.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2003 F-150
Engine: 4.6L Modular V8
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8"/3.55 LSD

Originally Posted by BigLou907
Yeah, but I don't think I can get nitrous. I'm only 16 and I just really want something that I can either go pretty quick from street light to street light, or something to really push it on the highway.
I would learn to drive my car first before I went tinkering with it. 5 days after I turned 16, I went out on the highway and topped out my car (made it to around the 130-140mph range) with someone in the car. From that day on only one other person has wanted to ride in a car with me and I have never repeated that incredibly stupid night. No one got hurt and I never got caught, but it scared me and everyone else at school to death that I was that reckless.

Make your car streetable first and make sure you can handle it before you go bolting on power adders. Reserve the high speed runs and driving for the track. YOUR LIFE ISN'T WORTH IT!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 89_RS
I would learn to drive my car first before I went tinkering with it. 5 days after I turned 16, I went out on the highway and topped out my car (made it to around the 130-140mph range) with someone in the car. From that day on only one other person has wanted to ride in a car with me and I have never repeated that incredibly stupid night. No one got hurt and I never got caught, but it scared me and everyone else at school to death that I was that reckless.

Make your car streetable first and make sure you can handle it before you go bolting on power adders. Reserve the high speed runs and driving for the track. YOUR LIFE ISN'T WORTH IT!!!
True, but believe me I know how to drive. Never been pulled over never hit or scraped anything and I have had my Jr. License for a few months now, An I'm not even sure my car could do 140. Im just looking to have a little fun every now and then believe me I'm not looking for trouble or to race even just some cheap thrills.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 PM

True, but believe me I know how to drive. Never been pulled over never hit or scraped anything and I have had my Jr. License for a few months now, An I'm not even sure my car could do 140. Im just looking to have a little fun every now and then believe me I'm not looking for trouble or to race even just some cheap thrills.
Thats good. And that little 305 can top out at those speeds, if it has a BIN without the limiters in it. I found that out when I topped out my 89 that night.

As for power adders, look for a supercharger that was made for a carb. There are several people that have adapted a carbed SC to TBI.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Thats good. And that little 305 can top out at those speeds, if it has a BIN without the limiters in it. I found that out when I topped out my 89 that night.

As for power adders, look for a supercharger that was made for a carb. There are several people that have adapted a carbed SC to TBI.
Thanks, whats a BIN, and how can I take out the limiters.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 PM

Thanks, whats a BIN, and how can I take out the limiters.
Thats what tells the cars ECM how to run the engine. The stock ECM is really difficult to work with, so look into getting an EBL. That coupled with WinALDL (datalogging software) and TunerPro (BIN tuning software) will allow you to dial in your engine based on all sorts of parameters and allow you to disable all the idiot features.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 trans am clone
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700r4

hes 16 he shouldnt even consider a serious power adder. i got in trouble with a nitrous stock 305tbi when i was 16 got caught racing you say you wont do it but when teased youll do it for sure. if anything get an exhaust for you car with a nice tone and be happy at that otherwise if you want true speed itll cost you a lot of time and money which id assume you dont have at that age.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm pretty sure hes figured that out by now. It'd take probably $10 grand in parts to make an engine capable of handling a decent SC setup. What he needs to be doing is planning for what he's going to do when he gets half way through college. That way he won't end up a creek without a paddle.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Hi, I have a 305 TBI Camaro. I have very limited funds and I really want to add some power to my baby/car. Please post some ideas and pics if you have added the adders to your car already.
You're in the wrong forum. This "Power Adder" forum means nitrous, turbo, and supercharger.

You want to read the "Ultimate TBI" tech articles on the main page of this website, and then post in the TBI forum.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Guys I think your misinterpreting what I'm trying to say here. I'm not looking to go crazy I just want something cheap and that might give me a small 10 or 15 hp increase. Thank you, and I will heed your advice don't get me wrong, i just want a little something to have a quick cheap thrill, a little adrenaline burst.
----------
Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
You're in the wrong forum. This "Power Adder" forum means nitrous, turbo, and supercharger.

You want to read the "Ultimate TBI" tech articles on the main page of this website, and then post in the TBI forum.
Alright thanks, Ill look into it.

Last edited by BigLou907; 12-10-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

10 or 15 HP will not be an adrenalin rush / burst for your car... Maynot even feel the difference...
Cat Back System @ $250 + Install fees...
Headers & Y pipe $450 and up + Install Fees...
Those 2 thigns add about 10 HP each ...

I think first answer is the best bet. For $500 or so, a nitrous system gives you 100 to 150 hp, you'll fell that...

Rafael
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56

I would have to agree nitrous is the cheapest, a power adder can be anywhere from $ 1,000, to $3500, or more. (im not an expert at power adders)

But I have been down this road where I wanted cheap power with a 305.

I'd recommend (and what I did first at 16) is get a good exhaust, and some shortie headers. you'll notice a differance, not by much (like 10 or 20 hp) but if you want to be serious about having more power than that, go for a weiand root blower and a carb. you'll be looking about more than $3,000 with the root blower kit, carb, and a hood with a cowl.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LS

Thats what tells the cars ECM how to run the engine. The stock ECM is really difficult to work with, so look into getting an EBL. That coupled with WinALDL (datalogging software) and TunerPro (BIN tuning software) will allow you to dial in your engine based on all sorts of parameters and allow you to disable all the idiot features.
I wish someone like you posted to me those direct words. I've been looking for cheap innovated ways to reprogram mine and haven't found the highest help on cheap ways. Thanks!

Originally Posted by vipershark11
hes 16 he shouldnt even consider a serious power adder. i got in trouble with a nitrous stock 305tbi when i was 16 got caught racing you say you wont do it but when teased youll do it for sure. if anything get an exhaust for you car with a nice tone and be happy at that otherwise if you want true speed itll cost you a lot of time and money which id assume you dont have at that age.
&
Originally Posted by luvofjah
10 or 15 HP will not be an adrenalin rush / burst for your car... Maynot even feel the difference...
Cat Back System @ $250 + Install fees...
Headers & Y pipe $450 and up + Install Fees...
Those 2 thigns add about 10 HP each ...

I think first answer is the best bet. For $500 or so, a nitrous system gives you 100 to 150 hp, you'll fell that...

Rafael
Catback system for $250? I'm looking at magnaflow and they want like $521 and i dont think thats including shipping.. Just want to make sure your numbers are right. Also its best to get a new y pipe? I was looking at catback and cat from magnaflow and its going to run me about $700 just for items and i didnt look at y pipe yet... didnt think it would be worth it but i guess so

Really $500 for the kit w/ nitrous? That seems really cheap.. Is it easy to install for a novice?

Last edited by Timinsk; 12-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Timinsk
I wish someone like you posted to me those direct words. I've been looking for cheap innovated ways to reprogram mine and haven't found the highest help on cheap ways. Thanks!

Catback system for $250? I'm looking at magnaflow and they want like $521 and i dont think thats including shipping.. Just want to make sure your numbers are right. Also its best to get a new y pipe? I was looking at catback and cat from magnaflow and its going to run me about $700 just for items and i didnt look at y pipe yet... didnt think it would be worth it but i guess so

Really $500 for the kit w/ nitrous? That seems really cheap.. Is it easy to install for a novice?
You're welcome, but tuning isn't as easy as it sounds. Primarily you deal with the fuel map in relation to the AFR (air/fuel ratio) and spark curve, but you have to fine tune all the parameters related to coolant temps and what not to get the most out of an engine. When changing both the fuel map and spark curve, your AFR will change. So when you change one, you have to change the other.

Yes, you can get a catback system for $250, most are around $300 though. The Borla cat-back I might get is around $850.

Nitrous is cheap and easy to install, but not for the novice. Too much NOS and boom goes the engine.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 PM

You're welcome, but tuning isn't as easy as it sounds. Primarily you deal with the fuel map in relation to the AFR (air/fuel ratio) and spark curve, but you have to fine tune all the parameters related to coolant temps and what not to get the most out of an engine. When changing both the fuel map and spark curve, your AFR will change. So when you change one, you have to change the other.

Yes, you can get a catback system for $250, most are around $300 though. The Borla cat-back I might get is around $850.

Nitrous is cheap and easy to install, but not for the novice. Too much NOS and boom goes the engine.
Hm ok, would the purchased spark plugs give your numbers on when each shot is made for the spark to be ignited? How do you understand your curve of air flow? would that bet he cfm taken per minute from my throttle body? I'm thinking of the doing base reading first of my computer and what it reads for the progress of my mph and record my temps and other processes and use them as my numbers if possible to fine tuning.
Yeah my magnaflow is going to cost a shiny penny which i wish i dont want to pay so much but it seems like great results.

I was thinking about 50-100 shot, it wasnt something to really think about but its kind of making me want to now. I just dont know how long the duration will last for the can. I have a 1989 305 tbi.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

the ultimate TBI mods are your best bang for the buck, they are free or almost free if you got to go buy some tools

headers are the best HP for your $ (im not counting happy gas) but you do need a good exhaust system behind it, if you dont have emissions trash the cat.

look at my mods on my VbGarage link
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/vbga...ber-68033.html

they all have proved to gave alot more power than it ever had stock and when still running the 2.73 gears it was running faster than a stock 350TPI
now i will say i didnt get all my mods in one day, it took over the course of 8 years, its not a daily driver and never had much time in the past to work on it or they would be more

if you got any ?'s about any of my mods, ask
Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 trans am clone
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700r4

id recommend just getting maybe a flowmaster catback for cheap leave your cat alone its fine and headers and a y are a PITA to install or at least to take out the old ones with the rusted bolts and locking tabs. get a catback make some noise and be happy. nitrous will get you in trouble and will add up very fast. most likely youd run a 10Ib bottle so that right there is 45-50 bucks a pop just to fill. now you need a bottle heater another 150+. now the kit comes in which can be pricey especially for the tbi plate with alone is 100+. then figure in a bottle and the rest of the kit. now add installation which is a wiring nightmare which if you have wrong can destroy your motor fast and easily. nitrous isnt worth it at that age. I wont even get into all the little things itll need like colder spark plugs, timing adjusted, etc etc.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM

id recommend just getting maybe a flowmaster catback for cheap leave your cat alone its fine and headers and a y are a PITA to install or at least to take out the old ones with the rusted bolts and locking tabs. get a catback make some noise and be happy. nitrous will get you in trouble and will add up very fast. most likely youd run a 10Ib bottle so that right there is 45-50 bucks a pop just to fill. now you need a bottle heater another 150+. now the kit comes in which can be pricey especially for the tbi plate with alone is 100+. then figure in a bottle and the rest of the kit. now add installation which is a wiring nightmare which if you have wrong can destroy your motor fast and easily. nitrous isnt worth it at that age. I wont even get into all the little things itll need like colder spark plugs, timing adjusted, etc etc.
oh well thanks for all that, haha im just going full exhaust system (cat back with cat and i think im good for now and maybe throw in a ultimate tbi :P) i feel set
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks guys this all sounds great. I'll probably look into getting the headers with the whole catback system. As I get more $, I'll probably move up slowly on my mods.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks guys this all sounds great. I'll probably look into getting the headers with the whole catback system. As I get more $, I'll probably move up slowly on my mods.
You'll want to add the ultimate tbi mods and EBL to that list as well as a complete tune up. Rebuilt TBI with mods, good headers and cat-back exhaust plus a full tune will get you to almost 200rwhp. And thats with a full emissions legal setup.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: Twin Turbo crate 350
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: still workin on that

im 16
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

You'll want to add the ultimate tbi mods and EBL to that list as well as a complete tune up. Rebuilt TBI with mods, good headers and cat-back exhaust plus a full tune will get you to almost 200rwhp. And thats with a full emissions legal setup.
i agree about the rebuilt TBI, i just got a new one and its like night and day, i cant wait to get to the drag strip again so see what my times are now, they were kickin for a 305 TBI last time, i bet they are alot better now
Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 85camaro350v8
im 16
Nice wen did you get ur camaro?
----------
Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z
i agree about the rebuilt TBI, i just got a new one and its like night and day, i cant wait to get to the drag strip again so see what my times are now, they were kickin for a 305 TBI last time, i bet they are alot better now
How much did it cost to rebuild your TBI? An what did you have done to it?

Last edited by BigLou907; 12-16-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

How much did it cost to rebuild your TBI? An what did you have done to it?

the guy sent me a rebuilt one, i sent him mine back as a core, he will also do mods to your TBI to make it flow better and all....i had real good luck with him, im waiting on the core refund to come in, along with another TPS (the TPS he put on it hit my aftermarket air cleaner) but the post office is being turtles and he is checking into why it didnt come in today (its due date) i highly recomend him...its Carbs Of Texas.....817-571-7718 ..... im not going to say exactly what i paid since i dont know if he will extend the deal i got but i will say under 375 with 100 refund when you send your core back
Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM

the guy sent me a rebuilt one, i sent him mine back as a core, he will also do mods to your TBI to make it flow better and all....i had real good luck with him, im waiting on the core refund to come in, along with another TPS (the TPS he put on it hit my aftermarket air cleaner) but the post office is being turtles and he is checking into why it didnt come in today (its due date) i highly recomend him...its Carbs Of Texas.....817-571-7718 ..... im not going to say exactly what i paid since i dont know if he will extend the deal i got but i will say under 375 with 100 refund when you send your core back

Thanks, do you know if he'll ship stuff up to Philly?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks, do you know if he'll ship stuff up to Philly?

yea he should
Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS/1989 Vert RS
Engine: 355/350
Transmission: T-5/T-5
Axle/Gears: BW9bolt3.45posi/3.23 Posi

Real quick I would just like to add, I'm 16 as well. I can drive VERY well. I raced Go-Carts since I was 5. I know my way around driving. But that does not mean I will never get in a accident or get a ticket. I don't want to get in an accident but I am still a new driver to a FULL SIZE vehicle. All of us have a chance of getting into an accident. Being 16 we do NOT need power. It can only do one thing, get us in deep **** and make our shallow pockets hurt. Now, I may be smart for my age but for some reason we (16 year olds) think we are expert drivers and invisible.
Well let me tell you something, I drive a 1991 Camaro to school. Full American Thunder system. It sounds fast. Some kid asked me EVERYDAY to race. I said no cause I had nothing to prove (I'd wipe his stock gt gulf all over the road). 2 weeks ago he got in a major accident and now is in a coma to this day. And guess what, our school is having a silent memorial for him everyday for him to get better. But he brought it on himself. Thank god he didn't hurt anyone else accept the car and the pole. Not to mention it happened cause someone cut him off. You may be a good driver but there are people that are horrible. You thinking you are a good driver automatically puts you as an offensive driver when you want to be a defensive. Looking out for everyone as well as your self. Bottom line, you don't need power adders. Your camaro will be intimidating enough.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

if you drive smart you dont have them problems, i have done things in cars that other people cant even imagine can be done, but i pay high atention to all the jagoff on the road, driving trucks they teach you to always look way ahead of you and scan your mirrors alot, this can end alot of trouble, to many of the punk teens think they can drive and truth be told they dont know their but from a hole in the ground, rice boys are the worse, if you drive stupid you deserve stupid things to happen......granted most wrecks are cause by d.a. drivers, in fact most all big rig wrecks are caused by the ignorant driving 4 wheelers.

the best thing you can know is crash avoidance, dont do like the soccer moms and swerve your SUV at 60MPH to avoid a plastic cup in the road, look for people pulling out, dont trust turn signals, etc etc

i agree someone in HS does not need a powerfull car, they should all have governers on them , i have seen a few kids that can drive, it depends on how you leaned to drive

get a cop or trucker to teach you........ but then again you may have a cop teach you how to drive and how to put a car to its limits

anyway to get to the point if he can do the mods with his own money more than likely he will drive it alot better, and he better listen to us older peeps and know that its stupd to drive crazy with in your first few years of driving, get about 500,000 or more undr your belt

and blah blah blah, dont wrap it around a tree, since thats wht F-bodys seem to love
Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS/1989 Vert RS
Engine: 355/350
Transmission: T-5/T-5
Axle/Gears: BW9bolt3.45posi/3.23 Posi

and blah blah blah, dont wrap it around a tree, since thats wht F-bodys seem to love

Damn tree huggers. :P
Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 PM

i agree someone in HS does not need a powerfull car, they should all have governers on them , i have seen a few kids that can drive, it depends on how you leaned to drive

Honestly take it easy, I am 16. Did a 355 swap in my camaro, ran into the back of a lady the first day I took it out with the new motor. Brakes and big cams suck. It was around a blind corner and she was stopped turning. Stupid woman drivers. but if I still had my wussy 305 i wouldnt have been punching it around the corner. 355=downshift and burn 215s... So 900$ later lesson learned. TAKE IT EASY and save your camaro for the track. Street driving is risky.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jammin'Trey
Honestly take it easy, I am 16. Did a 355 swap in my camaro, ran into the back of a lady the first day I took it out with the new motor. Brakes and big cams suck. It was around a blind corner and she was stopped turning. Stupid woman drivers. but if I still had my wussy 305 i wouldnt have been punching it around the corner. 355=downshift and burn 215s... So 900$ later lesson learned. TAKE IT EASY and save your camaro for the track. Street driving is risky.
hm interesting.. anyways what i've learned in life as a value is; take life as you'd like to; if you want to drive risky then drive risking, you want to risk your life on something, then risk your life, just don't take someone with you. really i just want to live my life and as long as you dont take another persons life except your own in reality your fine. but meh i'm not saying your reckless or anything just stating thats all. Good luck on power building!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks Guys for all your advice. Some one said be taught by a truck driver or a cop, my dads has his CDL, and taught me to drive in his 18 wheeler. I understand that I'm 16 and I need more experience before I start thinking about some serious power adders. But we all need to realize the if you 16, 26, 36, or even 46, that we all have a chance of getting into an accident, so thats why we should be careful and not try dangerous stunts if you think you have a chance of risking your life or someone else's, and this I get.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Car: 1992 25th Anniversary White W/ Red
Engine: Procharged 383CI/ Soon LS2 Turbo
Transmission: Manual 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4:11/Auburn Posi/Moser Axle

Ok first this isnt even a power adder discussion. second, you own a camaro and you want to make it faster. therefore you are going to do stupid things thats why you make them faster. just be smart about when and where you do it and dont put others in danger when your doing it.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: WC T-5 (untill it breaks)
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by 92KRVZ28
Ok first this isnt even a power adder discussion. second, you own a camaro and you want to make it faster. therefore you are going to do stupid things thats why you make them faster. just be smart about when and where you do it and dont put others in danger when your doing it.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Honestly, first thing you should do is make sure your car is running right. Your car isn't any younger than 17yrs old; change old sensors if you need to, new sparkplugs, new wires, cap and rotor, and, of course, a K&N filter

All very novice/beginner stuff and all can be done in one afternoon in under $150
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Car: 1989 Formula Firebird
Engine: Swapped 350 TPI speed density
Axle/Gears: 2.73 (soon to be 3.42)

DO NOT PUT "NOS" ON YOUR CAR! it ruins the engine over time

Best Performance Adders

1) Open air intake or cold air intake
the stock intakes starve the engine for air
2) 1 Inch Throttle body riser
this allows your gas to vaporize better and thus making a more efficient burn and more powerful stroke
3)3 Inch headers
the stock exhaust manifolds are very constrictive to the engine
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1991_RS

Best Performance Adders

this allows your gas to vaporize better and thus making a more efficient burn and more powerful stroke
3)3 Inch headers
Nice....

OP, what problems does your car have? Anything leaky, squeaky, clunky, or puking fire when you drive it? Not assuming you are putting priorities out of order, but it really needs to go faster before safer?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by HCR13
Honestly, first thing you should do is make sure your car is running right. Your car isn't any younger than 17yrs old; change old sensors if you need to, new sparkplugs, new wires, cap and rotor, and, of course, a K&N filter

All very novice/beginner stuff and all can be done in one afternoon in under $150
I agree with this, tune up and make sure everything is in safe and working order.

Originally Posted by 1991_RS

Best Performance Adders

3)3 Inch headers
The only thing I'd say is do a 2.5" exhaust, 3" is over-kill and would only be extra money for hte deeper sound you'll get. 2.5" is plenty for a 305, and mainly you need headers and y-pipe to open that exhaust up. 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 port with 2.5" exit, full back. theres a chance you might have 2.5" or 2.25" on the car just make sure, if you're trying to save a little cash, just get headers and y-pipe and pipe extend the stock exhaust with ball & socket to make it fit. it'll be plenty.

I wish you luck man on your project!