Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Whats everyones opinion on this pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi drum
Whats everyones opinion on this pump?

I was looking on ebay for fuel pumps to see what deals are out there and came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autoteq-341-...#ht_7197wt_762 . Just to get some input on this because my stock pump i dont think is going to do the job. I have a goodwrench 350 with a cam plus vortec heads and a 70 trim single turbo setup hopefully going to make 6-8 psi. Would this fuel pump do the job or just go name brand with the walbro?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Whats everyones opinion on this pump?

Originally Posted by camaro1122
I was looking on ebay for fuel pumps to see what deals are out there and came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autoteq-341-...#ht_7197wt_762 . Just to get some input on this because my stock pump i dont think is going to do the job. I have a goodwrench 350 with a cam plus vortec heads and a 70 trim single turbo setup hopefully going to make 6-8 psi. Would this fuel pump do the job or just go name brand with the walbro?
Everyone and their grandmother is using the Chinese pumps now. Have not heard of many issues.

-- Joe
Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 LB9 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi drum

Do you think this specific pump is worth a shot for my turbo application?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

No experience with off brand pumps but i dont think id want to chance my motor with a cheap pump. Just my opinion but single 255 lph should cover 6-8 psi
Old 09-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a treperformance fuel pump 255 lph and had it for abour 3 years now with no issues. Will probably upgrade to their 340 lph pump over the winter...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

im always a fan of getting things done on the cheap, but i wouldnt skimp on the fuel pump in a boosted aplication, id buya real walboro or aremotive 340lph stealth pump and be done with it.

on the other hand i do know somone with a china 255lph pump and his has worked perfectly for a few months now
Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by project89
im always a fan of getting things done on the cheap, but i wouldnt skimp on the fuel pump in a boosted aplication, id buya real walboro or aremotive 340lph stealth pump and be done with it.

on the other hand i do know somone with a china 255lph pump and his has worked perfectly for a few months now
I'd bet the Chinese pump is better than the US made pump.

-- Joe
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

u never know it very wel could be, my main concern would be what is stopping form these slellers from listing these as 255/340 lph pumps and they are really only say 190lph .
they do this alot with the turbochargers except u can usually identify if the add is correct just by looking at pics of the turbo u cant really do that with the fuel pumps
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '74 Firebird, '84 vette
Engine: 454 twin turbo, 350 HSR
Transmission: 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9", Dana36

The Ebay listing claims that the Aeromotive pump is the same thing, just reboxed. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

i have 2 areomotive pumps in my car and they are deffinatly not the same
before that i had 3 vette zr-1 pumps
Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would definitely want to see an unbiased test of one of these pumps at a few pressure ratios to figure out what the real flow is. Not saying they're junk, but I don't know if I would want to trust a forced induction engine that was any kind of built to it. Stock junk on the other hand I may be more forgiving about.

I have a real 307M in my tank. Out of all things I picked it up used on a Turbo Buick board for like 20 bucks. It has gone through a few winters of sitting in old gas, and very intermittent use. I suspect the varnish and other crap is pretty hard on it. Besides that you can hold one and look at it and tell it is a high quality piece. The gerator in it also appears to be stainless, something I would be wanting to examine on this pump if you bought it. I've seen pics of some of the knock off walbros where it was plastic.

Then again though, all fuel pumps suck just some suck more than others depending on who you ask.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

skip the unverified Chinese pump Go with a pump with a proven track record And buy American when possible ( keep jobs here Don't be part of the problem )
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by project89
u never know it very wel could be, my main concern would be what is stopping form these slellers from listing these as 255/340 lph pumps and they are really only say 190lph .
they do this alot with the turbochargers except u can usually identify if the add is correct just by looking at pics of the turbo u cant really do that with the fuel pumps
Sure you can. The pump is rated at 43.5psi, so assuming your regulator is set there, with engine not running, energize the fuel pump solenoid for 60 seconds while filling a bucket on the RETURN side after the regulator.. Measure the result.

Should fill 4.25 liters in 60 seconds.

A 190 will fill 3.1 liters in the same duration. The difference is "night and day".

Don't blow up the garage...

-- Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
skip the unverified Chinese pump Go with a pump with a proven track record And buy American when possible ( keep jobs here Don't be part of the problem )
That's nonsense. Local markets are controlled by union thugs. Capitalism is based on free market trade. If the Chinese can build it cheaper, better, or at least cheaper and just as good they win. If we don't like it, build it better and cheaper than the Chinese. But we won't, we'll go on strike, whine and complain, and then wonder why the company had to close the doors.

This thread probably belongs in aftermarket product review, but I guess since it's centered around forced induction I'll leave it here for now.

-- Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

Originally Posted by anesthes
That's nonsense. Local markets are controlled by union thugs. Capitalism is based on free market trade. If the Chinese can build it cheaper, better, or at least cheaper and just as good they win. If we don't like it, build it better and cheaper than the Chinese. But we won't, we'll go on strike, whine and complain, and then wonder why the company had to close the doors.

This thread probably belongs in aftermarket product review, but I guess since it's centered around forced induction I'll leave it here for now.

-- Joe
Bu(doublehockeysticks)sh*t

The issue is that the garbage you're calling "just as good" is never "just as good" and the junk knockoff crap is just that, junk and knockoff. Just look at the **** poor knockoff of the BBS turbo kit, that stuff isnt anywhere near the wall thickness, and if you've ever welded on any of that junk, the difference in materials quality is night and day.

People buy whats cheap, not whats "cheaper and just as good" and letting them knockoff peoples things and outsell them because they'll cut corners is pisspoor, and i'm pretty shocked you either cant see it, or overlook it.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28ricer

The issue is that the garbage you're calling "just as good" is never "just as good" and the junk knockoff crap is just that, junk and knockoff. Just look at the **** poor knockoff of the BBS turbo kit, that stuff isnt anywhere near the wall thickness, and if you've ever welded on any of that junk, the difference in materials quality is night and day.

People buy whats cheap, not whats "cheaper and just as good" and letting them knockoff peoples things and outsell them because they'll cut corners is pisspoor, and i'm pretty shocked you either cant see it, or overlook it.
this guy is right. not to mention, all the stuff we have over here designed to "keep us safe" or "keep the environment safe" winds up costing the companies in the u.s. millions each year. the chinese dont have these costs. also, our government taxes the bujeezus out of the companies here. china has very low if not non-existent quality standards of most stuff they ship over to us. they ship enough quantity to where it doesnt matter. most companies in the us are still somewhat interested in quality. they take other designs, many of which came about in the us, and copy it with inferior components. this is a few of the reasons it is much much cheaper for china to manufacture things. can't blame the unions for this one so much as the government.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

I used to hear the same thing about stuff from Japan, and they've now been kicking our **** for a number of years. Cisco, Juniper, GE, all the big companies are all manufacturing in China now.

I don't know about the BBS knockoff turbo manifolds, nor do I care. I'm sure you can find many examples of garbage - like the US built powerstroke I just traded in with only 40k on it.

Speaking of Asian engineering, don't you have an import Tommy?

-- Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

I used to hear the same thing about stuff from Japan, and they've now been kicking our **** for a number of years. Cisco, Juniper, GE, all the big companies are all manufacturing in China now.

I don't know about the BBS knockoff turbo manifolds, nor do I care. I'm sure you can find many examples of garbage - like the US built powerstroke I just traded in with only 40k on it.

Speaking of Asian engineering, don't you have an import Tommy?

-- Joe
Theres a big difference between Asian engineering, and flat out ripping off another person / companys innovation and engineering.

Someone else did all of the research, prototyping, development and testing, then they buy one and go to duplicating with poor quality materials, and poor workmanship, poor QC.

Yes some companys do have things manufactured by them, that are held to good quality, and standards, the issue I have is with the rampant knocking off, and pisspoor junk.

Yes, I have an Import, for the shell of my car.

Of course I have an engine from an escalade, a transmission from a GTO, suspension arms handmade in the US, a driveshaft made locally,dampers made in germany, modified and machined here locally, and not one tiny piece of a component from a knockoff company (read: xspower, isis, megan, or any of the other companys that knockoff other peoples stuff.)

So how much of the money involved in my build went overseas considering I bought the car itself used, and the majority of it was locally sourced, and either from a reputable company, US based, or fabricated by me ?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

I'm sure you can find many examples of garbage - like the US built powerstroke I just traded in with only 40k on it.

-- Joe
Thats what you get for buying a ford, made after ford decided they could make an engine worth a crap

Always remember, how do you make a ford fast ? Put a chevy engine in it.

Ford just still hasnt figured out how to design a good engine, you'd think they'd have figured it out by now.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Axle/Gears: D44

Always remember, how do you make a ford fast ? Put a Cummins in it.
fixed , although the d-max seems to have finally been sorted out pretty well. i guess we'll see in 10 years if the still are liked
Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
fixed , although the d-max seems to have finally been sorted out pretty well. i guess we'll see in 10 years if the still are liked

Yeah well mine was aimed more at the mustang guys, ford should have left things alone, but hey gotta give those bean counters a job to figure out how to cut the most corners to supposedly save money.

If you can bring me the one that decided to weld the door hinge to both the body, and doors, on the s series trucks, i'll give you anything you want, just promise not to tell anyone you last saw him anywhere near me.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

-- Joe
The government socializes *every* business in China. They also use predatory pricing in order to facilitate running US companies out of business. Happened more than a few times. When a government is selling goods in your country below cost to eliminate competitors is that really capitalism?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...china-20120918

I forgot to mention, one of the guys on the Astro board is using a stock replacement pump that's a knockoff. He's got a ton of miles on it (as in probably 20K plus) and he's never had a problem with it. It's not a forced induction application but still he spent like 50-60 bucks on it so it must not have been bad for at least a stocker.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Ford just still hasnt figured out how to design a good engine, you'd think they'd have figured it out by now.
The engine was actually designed and built by international. (6.0 powerstroke).

There was a lot more wrong with it than just the engine, egr system, variable vane turbo. I replaced it with a 2012 GMC, which so far has been fantastic. I'm told 20% of the GMC is China based parts

-- Joe
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Drac0nic
The government socializes *every* business in China. They also use predatory pricing in order to facilitate running US companies out of business. Happened more than a few times. When a government is selling goods in your country below cost to eliminate competitors is that really capitalism?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...china-20120918

I forgot to mention, one of the guys on the Astro board is using a stock replacement pump that's a knockoff. He's got a ton of miles on it (as in probably 20K plus) and he's never had a problem with it. It's not a forced induction application but still he spent like 50-60 bucks on it so it must not have been bad for at least a stocker.
Well, I think that argument has run it's course. But back to the fuel pumps.

A TON of LSx guys are running the Chinese pumps without issue. There is only two aftermarket pumps available for the LSx fuel module, A modified Walbro (removing a screw and installing a small barb and hose) which Walbro says NOT to do, but Racetronix does it anyway and the Chinese pump which is designed to be a direct delco replacement but at 255lph.

As pointed out earlier in another thread, I'm running the Chinese singleplane intake manifold. This is the one that procomp and professional products sells. It cost $160 shipped to my door. It fit a Felpro 1206 gasket right out of the box, unlike my Holley intake which barely fit a 1205 and didn't have enough material to port out to a 1206. It's obviously not a "Cheap copy" since it's better than the Holley it replaced, and doesn't look like ANY of the other singleplanes (edelbrock, pro-ram) I've seen.

A lot of the Mustang guys have been switching to the Chinese intakes to replace the faulty 4.6 intakes with the plastic crossovers (that leak) on the 99+ engines.

Not everything in China is a cheap junk copy, but I'll admit a lot is. But when it comes to some things, you guys have to consider the fact that sometimes the Chinese will improve upon a stupid American design.

-- Joe
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

whats funny is my duramax has a broken crankshaft. lol just thought i would toss that out there.