Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Joining the turbo club.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Joining the turbo club.

Bought a T70 Turbo. Went with .68 AR to spoil as fast as possible.
Only shooting for 400whp. Considered going smaller turbo but this was cheaper than going smaller. Plan to keep the T5 and 3.08 gears for spool as well. Really want an ultimate street turbo setup with immediate response.

If I can front mount this I'll get it done sooner than later but if I can't work out acceptable piping I'll go rear mount and it'll take a backseat for a while longer.

Now I guess I'll be my own first $8d-T tester.

Soon all three of my cars will be turbo. That's a strange thought.

I'll document the turbo build here as I go along.
/cool story bro.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: Joining the turbo club.

.68 works great on rear mount. It would spool very fast up front. In fact my .96 on the rear mount when i had the cat converter on car, it was seeing boost at 2200 rpm half throttle.

I would consider a .96 up front. It will spool fast up front
Old 04-28-2017, 11:24 AM

I'm really dreaming about a front mount. I don't like a cramped engine bay so cramping it more is unlikely.
I bought with the intention of rearmount in reality.
I don't want the car down for very long and front would take considerably longer to fabricate.
Only reason I don't want rear is for the oil pump. The cost and the reliability worry. Plus call it pointless but I like two exhaust tips. I need symmetry.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah you will want something like the turbowerx pumps. Expensive but well worth it and reliable.
You can run a fake tailpipe to get dual tips or run downpipe as one and wastegate as the other
Old 05-01-2017, 11:12 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
I'm really dreaming about a front mount. I don't like a cramped engine bay so cramping it more is unlikely.
I bought with the intention of rearmount in reality.
I don't want the car down for very long and front would take considerably longer to fabricate.
Only reason I don't want rear is for the oil pump. The cost and the reliability worry. Plus call it pointless but I like two exhaust tips. I need symmetry.
Can you weld?

I made a couple different turbo headers that fit the 3rd gen. Do the crossover under the oil pan, not in front.

The Chinese stainless turbo header fits thirdgens just fine, although on some aftermarket heads (like my AFR) the #8 primary is a problem.

Do you need to keep AC ?

-- Joe
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

There's going to have to be a compromise or sacrifice somewhere, as it is very difficult to run a FMT on a complete LB9/L98 (meaning with functional vapor canister and battery up front) with the serpentine system. The horsepower goal is feasible enough to justify running smaller 2 1/2" intake tubing which will help in squirming its' way through the radiator and front end steel support, just need to motivate it a little. A good compromise would be to switch to a v-belt system, which would require extending the alternator wiring, as well as the AC head unit, but this will at least bring the AC head unit to the drivers side and getting it out of the way. This is how Steve was able to keep most of the factory stuff in the engine bay, because his '87 came with the v-belt system. Hell, his early setup might just be the ticket you're looking for Vanilla, here's a vid below to help you on your way.

As for the preferred dual exhaust tips for a RMT, should be a breeze to make a 4" exhaust for a RMT that splits (Y's) into dual 3" outlets...

Old 05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
There's going to have to be a compromise or sacrifice somewhere, as it is very difficult to run a FMT on a complete LB9/L98 (meaning with functional vapor canister and battery up front) with the serpentine system. The horsepower goal is feasible enough to justify running smaller 2 1/2" intake tubing which will help in squirming its' way through the radiator and front end steel support, just need to motivate it a little. A good compromise would be to switch to a v-belt system, which would require extending the alternator wiring, as well as the AC head unit, but this will at least bring the AC head unit to the drivers side and getting it out of the way. This is how Steve was able to keep most of the factory stuff in the engine bay, because his '87 came with the v-belt system. Hell, his early setup might just be the ticket you're looking for Vanilla, here's a vid below to help you on your way.

As for the preferred dual exhaust tips for a RMT, should be a breeze to make a 4" exhaust for a RMT that splits (Y's) into dual 3" outlets...
That cast manifold that used the on-center turbo would have worked fine, it placed the turbo right over the valve cover.

There are ways to make it works. The plumbing almost always sucks.

The BBS header meant for use with AC will work with a T70. He could fabricate one of those fairly easily. The wastegate plumbing is the tough part.

Twin 60s with built in waste gates are doable too, but the driver side sucks a little bit with the brake booster + master in the way.

-- Joe
Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

The downpipe is the hard part

Battery in trunk is just a good idea all around imo
Old 05-01-2017, 02:52 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
The downpipe is the hard part

Battery in trunk is just a good idea all around imo
Hard part for what? Single turbo? twins?

-- Joe
Old 05-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Either. Harder for twins tho
Old 05-01-2017, 03:08 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Either. Harder for twins tho
The passenger side has tons of room. I did a couple different downpipe configurations.

The driver side sucks. But fitting a 2.5" pipe shouldn't be terrible if you tuck the manifold on the driver side.

It's harder to make a compact manifold with tubular. Cast manifolds are big money, but they make the fitment a lot easier.

-- Joe
Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 PM

This will be a rearmount setup. I may one day convert to front, but it's just so much easier to rear mount.

Yes I can weld, but all that fab work isn't a quick job. I'll just cope with the pump needs.

And I will either center the turbo in the back and Y to two pipes or use the WG for the second exhaust outlet. Again, all depending on ease once I get under there and the cutback out of the way and can do some mockups.
This is all months away still so nothing is set in stone.

Unless somebody wants to make some donations in the form of a pump/lines and piping!
Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by anesthes
The passenger side has tons of room. I did a couple different downpipe configurations.

The driver side sucks. But fitting a 2.5" pipe shouldn't be terrible if you tuck the manifold on the driver side.

It's harder to make a compact manifold with tubular. Cast manifolds are big money, but they make the fitment a lot easier.

-- Joe
Depending on crossover setup but with ac box, that room is taken up quick

Cast is nice when you can get them, else a fabbed log is best bang for buck
Old 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

This will be a rearmount setup. I may one day convert to front, but it's just so much easier to rear mount.

Yes I can weld, but all that fab work isn't a quick job. I'll just cope with the pump needs.

And I will either center the turbo in the back and Y to two pipes or use the WG for the second exhaust outlet. Again, all depending on ease once I get under there and the cutback out of the way and can do some mockups.
This is all months away still so nothing is set in stone.

Unless somebody wants to make some donations in the form of a pump/lines and piping!
The only problem with a rear mount is the 16 feet of intake piping you have to run to the engine.

Well, that's not the only problem but that is what kills it for me.

-- Joe
Old 05-02-2017, 01:05 PM

The only problem with a rear mount is the 16 feet of intake piping you have to run to the engine.

Well, that's not the only problem but that is what kills it for me.

-- Joe
Not too worried about that. If I can spool down low it doesn't make a difference to me.
If anything it allows the charge to cool more prior to hitting the intake.
I was even thinking about adding fins to the pipe to make it a huge heatsink.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:09 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Not too worried about that. If I can spool down low it doesn't make a difference to me.
If anything it allows the charge to cool more prior to hitting the intake.
I was even thinking about adding fins to the pipe to make it a huge heatsink.
You think that will be the end result? Usually the radiant heat under the vehicle is really high. I'd assume it would heat up more than anything.

-- Joe
Old 05-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

It does cool some but i'd still run an intercooler. Now i ran my charge piping up behind the rad fans in front of the accessories and it got heat soaked. 120-130 deg iat's cruising and 150 fairly quickly on just 7 psi. Thats starting to get hot for pump gas for max power
Old 05-02-2017, 01:15 PM

It does cool some but i'd still run an intercooler. Now i ran my charge piping up behind the rad fans in front of the accessories and it got heat soaked. 120-130 deg iat's cruising and 150 fairly quickly on just 7 psi. Thats starting to get hot for pump gas for max power
I do plan on an intercooler for sure. Foolish not to in AZ.
Those IATs are normal for cars here in summer.
I also have access to E85. And I'm planning on flex fuel support on my Turbo bin.

Last edited by Vanilla Ice; 05-02-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

That's pretty much where I am now with my GTA. Toss up between RMT or F1SC. It's encouraging to see quite a few RMT's by me because the track is so close, so I'll choot the chit over by the local Wawa when I see them filling up. By no means are they dailies though, which is why I hesitate with mine. The length of the intake tubing worries me if/when bottoming out on the street, as well as the length of oil lines. I lean towards F1SC because Joe's setup is very clean and simple, and Justin didn't have his RMT for very long so I wasn't able to really get a feel for it in terms of longevity. Gonna watch this build to see how it goes, I'm not in any rush anymore...
Old 05-02-2017, 01:52 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

That's pretty much where I am now with my GTA. Toss up between RMT or F1SC. It's encouraging to see quite a few RMT's by me because the track is so close, so I'll choot the chit over by the local Wawa when I see them filling up. By no means are they dailies though, which is why I hesitate with mine. The length of the intake tubing worries me if/when bottoming out on the street, as well as the length of oil lines. I lean towards F1SC because Joe's setup is very clean and simple, and Justin didn't have his RMT for very long so I wasn't able to really get a feel for it in terms of longevity. Gonna watch this build to see how it goes, I'm not in any rush anymore...
How many rear mount turbos are on this site now?

I know they were briefly popular on Corvette forum. (C5 guys)

That company that made them, str or sts or whatever went out of business right?

-- Joe
Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: Turbocharged 5.7 Pro-Fl-XT
Transmission: 700R4 for moment
Axle/Gears: 3.25 9 inch

FWIW I need to sell that setup from the video. It's just sitting around in my way. A local guy was supposed to buy it but I guess he chickened out and went nitrous. It will get you into the high 7's 1/8 mile.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

I didnt have mine for long but tell you what, i'd do it again in a heart beat for a mild street car.

Only things i'd change: fab a small drain reservoir under turbo oil drain to collect oil instead of looping rubber line 90 deg to run to pump. It hung tad low for rural PA roads. Friends shop has a steep driveway off the road and i caught the drain line. Ripped off and lost 4 qrts oil before thanfkfully catching glimpse of oil pressure gauge reading near 0 and shutting down to save it

Run cold side above kmembers instead of under for better street clearance. If room around trans tunnel, i'd consider goin over there but def above engine k. In fact i'd buy tube front k for the routing.

Other than that its been fine. I took car 1.25 hrs to a wedding, enjoyed festivities for a few hrs and then drove home in rain. No quirks. I daily drove to work on sunny days cuz i hated having to wash the car.

My bbc deal will likely be mid mounted after some sheet metal work lol or rears depending on how things work. I dig them
Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

How many rear mount turbos are on this site now?

I know they were briefly popular on Corvette forum. (C5 guys)

That company that made them, str or sts or whatever went out of business right?

-- Joe
I remember them, that was a quick fly by for STS. Had a lot of complaints from customers, even remember some people having trouble building the right amount of boost with their systems, although I don't blame them, it was probably just newbies complaining like they always do. Aero-Chargers came out soon after, self contained turbo chargers, but they cost way too much for what we are all doing. Aside from Justin, I'm not even sure anyone else played with RMT's on this website. Wasn't Willie running twin RMT's on his 305 at one point?

Vanilla you should jump on that turbo system while Steve has it available.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:38 PM

I remember them, that was a quick fly by for STS. Had a lot of complaints from customers, even remember some people having trouble building the right amount of boost with their systems, although I don't blame them, it was probably just newbies complaining like they always do. Aero-Chargers came out soon after, self contained turbo chargers, but they cost way too much for what we are all doing. Aside from Justin, I'm not even sure anyone else played with RMT's on this website. Wasn't Willie running twin RMT's on his 305 at one point?

Need details and prices. Don't even know what he's got.
Steve feel free to PM me. Though I may not be in market.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Need details and prices. Don't even know what he's got.
Steve feel free to PM me. Though I may not be in market.
It's this one, he used it just before making his own. It seems to be a very early system that was made for the third gen, he ran it while keeping everything else in tact in the engine bay. I believe he has the turbo manifold, the other header/manifold on the drivers side, and the crossover under the oil pan. The wastegate flange was built into the header. Decent system for what it is.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

I dunno. RMT's were all the hype on Corvette forum, but not many now.

It would be nice if someone could chime in and be like "I've had an RMT on my Camaro for the past 6 years, here's the pros and cons, lessons learned, etc".

-- Joe
Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

I dunno. RMT's were all the hype on Corvette forum, but not many now.

It would be nice if someone could chime in and be like "I've had an RMT on my Camaro for the past 6 years, here's the pros and cons, lessons learned, etc".

-- Joe
You're right Joe. At the track is one thing where you make your run and get to check things out immediately afterward, but when you're taking the car from state to state or driving it daily, and when traffic starts to buildup, I would be driving myself insane wondering if the smoke that I see... and we all see that smoke, even if its' the exhaust from the people next to you lol, I would be driving myself insane wondering if it is from the oil lines. I myself already have the AC system partly in, just want to get a new condenser and put the original one away. Also need the passenger side serpentine bracket. If Vanilla, or anyone of you guys needs an AC delete box for your buildups, lemme know...

- Rob
Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Sts went out of business, so that could be one reason they arent seen much lately. They are easy to build but shops wont do it i dont think cuz of the patents held on the design by STS. Now with them being out of business, not sure if that changes anything

But their kits werent great anyhow. Their oiling systems were not great as that seemed to be the biggest issue. Returning oil and draining oil out of turbo.

The concept is solid tho. But due to heat energy lost you have to be careful on pipe size and turbine size, else there will be lag. Using 2.25" stock exhaust on my car with the small .68 ar hotside worked fantastic. If i had wrapped it it be even better. As shown when i had the cat on the car. 2 psi half throttle up hill 2200 rpm with .96 ar. Gut cat and all response was lost. Gained some back with .68 and test pipe in place of cat to smooth flow out

If you control oil supply and draining/return, there arent any cons imo. Alot more piping weight if a race car chasing weight reduction et. But no cramped engine bay and no heat in engine bay makes it a dream to work on
Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Thinking about an oil sump and fabricating this out of copper pipe soldering it together.
Figure it could act as an oil cooler too.
It would be more compact than this though.
I also wonder if I should just use an actual oil cooler and run it horizontally and affix a vent to that instead.

Any input? Bad idea(s)?
Benefit to my own build is I can tuck it up to the turbo better...
Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 4.8l LS
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Sounds like a cool build, I will keep looking out for updates.

Kinda wanting to join the club and pull the little 3.1l in favor of an L98 I have sitting on a stand. Probably run a GT45 or T70 (seems to be the reccomended size) and fab a front mount.

Goodluck with your build!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by C2YT
Sounds like a cool build, I will keep looking out for updates.

Kinda wanting to join the club and pull the little 3.1l in favor of an L98 I have sitting on a stand. Probably run a GT45 or T70 (seems to be the reccomended size) and fab a front mount.

Goodluck with your build!
The chinese single header is the best bang for the buck, but you lose AC if you care about that.

a t76 on an L98 would probably be just peachy, or a GT45.

My first kit is on my buddies '88 GTA now with a GT45, and a megasquirt.

-- Joe
Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Another design, I think is better. I can tuck it up above the bottom of the housings as close to the drain as possible and have the same clearance of almost not having it.