Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Tight tuck header turbo hotside idea for LT1 swapped

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350ci "fastburn 385"
Transmission: T56 / Quartermaster clutch
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.11, Auburn Posi
Tight tuck header turbo hotside idea for LT1 swapped

Has anyone used these tight tuck SBC headers upside down for the start of the hotside?

The LT1 intake sits really low in the third gen bay, which I might use to my advantage.

I'm thinking run the crossover pipe from the pass. side, straight over the top of the intake manifold (wrapped, with stainless heat shield as needed etc.), then merge on the other side with the driver side, and set the turbo over the steering box.

Down pipe would then run along frame rail (under driver side header) and down under, on the driver side where the headers currently are going.

Doing this, I can keep the F-car LT1 accessory drive as is. Or mod it, and put the stock A/C compressor up high (where the alt currently is) and move the alt. to the lower spot. So perhaps could get back to A/C in this thing.

Also, battery is on the pass. side (4th gen. wiring), so that could stay in place, as can the stock coolant expansion tank.

Might need to move the windshield washer tank, not sure, or remove (but I plan on water/meth so would like to keep).

Any thoughts out there?

Patriot tight tuck headers They have em in stainless too, but they are $469, yikes.

Last edited by hotrodf1; 07-15-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Re: Tight tuck header turbo hotside idea for LT1 swapped

LT1/Smallblock, not much of a difference...

Where those kinds of headers usually end up a problem upside down is the collector will usually hit the valve cover, though I don't know for sure with those.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
LT1/Smallblock, not much of a difference...

Where those kinds of headers usually end up a problem upside down is the collector will usually hit the valve cover, though I don't know for sure with those.
i wish there were more pics of these headers. Patriot website doesn’t even have more than that stock photo there. Hard to tell how tight they are. I have the stock stamped valve covers so they don’t take up quite as much as a tall cast alum cover etc.

seems like the other typical “block hugger” street rod headers would be too long and put the exhaust into the hood probably.

I really wanted to keep the downpipe pipe under the header for what seems like easier routing
Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

I did it with very similar headers, look at my thread.

it works great, just ditch the three bolt flanges and install vbands, that was my big mistake
Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 PM

Modded collector for clearance
pass side - not much room for stock A/C drier
See! But I did use V bands - pretty much knew the 3 bolt flanges would be trouble for this location.
Hey thanks for the feedback. I read through your build, nice information there for sure! Glad you documented it all.

It turns out the Sandersons that you used are quite a bit tighter to the valve covers than the Patriot ones I used. I ended up having to modify the collector on the driver side to clear the brake master cylinder. On the passenger side, I don't think A/C will be possible. I was trying to hold on to the possibility of putting A/C back in, but it look like that hope is dashed for now. Oh well.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Here's my idea, since the LT1 sits so low in the engine bay, there's no reason not to use that extra space I guess. Will have to take proper precaution not to bake the hood. Still getting used to the new TIG welder. Love it, but finally figured out I'm so old now that I need cheater glasses from the dollar store to be able to see good enough to weld!! Haha, oh well. Welds are getting better now. Maybe someone's already tried this , if so, I'd love to hear about it, and how the heat management went once you got it running.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:29 PM

Build specs for anyone curious:
This is a "budget" garage build. Obviously parts were sourced mainly from other countries. It'll probably bite me at some point . . .
Rebuilt LT1 engine, 224/224 cam 114LSA, heads ported, stock lower end. Shooting for only 6-7 psi, and hoping for 475-500 at the tires, just a fun street car. I think she's 325-350 now.
T-56 trans, stock '93 Z28 rear end, 2.73 ratio. She'll run 90 in 2nd gear. Will be interesting to see how this pairs with the turbo.
Hoping to tune via stock '93 ECM, modded .bin per STEVEO over at gearheadefi. I will be doing the tuning, perhaps with help from a friend that's tuned some turbo cars before. Will be open loop as it was NA.
VS racing 78/75 .96 A/R turbo
Patriot exhaust mild steel block hugger headers. They are oval port, so they actually cover the LT1 raised ports without trouble - at least they appear to. Nicely built pieces, not quite the right geometry though.
2.5" stainless crossover, merged into 3" stainless, into the CXRacing cast stainless elbow
Stainless welds were shielded via Solar Flux compound instead of back purging
3" stainless down pipe, to 3" Borla catback
31x12x3 EMUSA intercooler
3" aluminum cold side
EMUSA 60mm wastegate
EMUSA BOV
Siemens 60 lb/hr injectors
Quantum Fuel Systems 340 LPH pump, stock tank and lines for now
I have a water/meth kit from an old ride, might stick that on there too for safety sake.

I really need a good way to add the oil drainback to the pan on the driver side. Anyone have a solid method without pulling the motor?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Intresting build! Hot side looks good sofar! are you planning on wraping the fuel lines?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

I don't know how I feel about the crossover being right over the intake like that. I think your hood is going to suffer some heat damage but hopefully not.

If I was doing a turbo again (which I won't do), I'd probably just do twins. I actually think it's easy to do twins instead of doing a crossover. The crossover was a PITA on both of my turbo setups.

-- Joe
Old 09-23-2018, 08:26 AM

My two thoughts for heat management above the intake are wrapping the pipe and also perhaps the peel and stick fiberglass /aluminum heat reflector type stuff on the hood itself if it seems like it’s getting real hot.

Also thought about a polished stainless heat shield just over the intake. If I had a water jet I could cut LT1 I the front of it too lol.

I feel your pain. The crossover is a pain. If I had went around the front as others have done, I think it still would have been close to the hood since it slopes down in front so I think there’s somewhat less room.

Ive thought a couple times during this project “ why did I do this?” Haha. It better be awesome....

ive had a vortec boosted blow thru 406 before and it was pretty fun on 8 psi. Extra belts and pullies can also be annoying. I designed my whole setup custom and fabbed it. Got the bare head unit on eBay for like 600.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

i am really liking the rear mount turbo idea nowadays.