South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

Tampa, FL area help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tampa, FL area help

Hey guys, I'm new to the thridgen family. I'm currently on the hunt for my first 3rd gen. I know from previous experience to start on the forums for information about cars! I've always wanted one and I'm now in a financial position I can pick one up and start tinkering. I've come across quiet a few for sale in good shape. I'm hoping there is someone in the Tampa area that has seen one I have my eye on.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/5335647355.html

My question is, does this seem like its too good of a deal? I'm going to assume the T-tops leak since nothing is mentioned about them. Also, what other things should I look out for when inspecting and driving one before purchase. I should be able to determine engine and transmission condition from driving it, but what are common things that I should watch out for?

Keep in mind I'm looking to slowly build a street/strip car, so I'm just looking for a good base to start from.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Re: Tampa, FL area help

Welcome, Kilmer! You are right about the forums! Lets start with some questions.

-Are you set on a Camaro or are you looking at Firebirds as well?

-What options are you looking for specifically (ex. T-tops or hardtop, manual or auto)?

-What is your price limit?

-How far are you willing to travel to pick it up?

I know someone who buys 3rd gens and either resells them or parts them out. Either way, he usually has good deals. He is especially fair with his parts prices.

The car you posted looks to be okay in the pictures, although he could have posted more detailed photos of the engine bay and passenger side body. You should text him and ask about the T-tops. It looks like he did the "get the car wet and it looks like new paint" trick. Overall it looks like a nice car. I would say for the price, it is a good deal.

Good luck finding your first third gen. If you have any questions, somebody on this board has the answers. KEEP US POSTED!

-Jim

Last edited by CharcoalBird; 12-14-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Oops, forgot to answer the parts about what to look for.

I don't have T-tops but from my experience with them you will want to have the T-tops taken off and kinda peel back the weather stripping(without peeling the adhesive from the body of course) and see if you see any rot in the channels.
Get as good of a look under the car as you possibly can because if the T-tops do leak there is a good chance the floor boards have rust and maybe even holes.
The wheels wells are another part of the body that tend to get rusty if it was a northern car.
Is the motor factory or did he put a Carb 350 in it? Check the wiring for any hacking him or previous owners may have done.
Drive the car when it is cold and let it warm up to operating temp. Sometimes these cars don't run so well at first and get better as they warm up, other times its the opposite.

Really, rust, any body damage, and wiring hack jobs is what you want to avoid.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
Welcome, Kilmer! You are right about the forums! Lets start with some questions.

-Are you set on a Camaro or are you looking at Firebirds as well?

-What options are you looking for specifically (ex. T-tops or hardtop, manual or auto)?

-What is your price limit?

-How far are you willing to travel to pick it up?

I know someone who buys 3rd gens and either resells them or parts them out. Either way, he usually has good deals. He is especially fair with his parts prices.

The car you posted looks to be okay in the pictures, although he could have posted more detailed photos of the engine bay as well. You should text him and ask about the T-tops. It looks like he did the "get the car wet and it looks like new paint" trick.

Good luck finding your first third gen. If you have any questions, somebody on this board has the answers. KEEP US POSTED!

-Jim
Thank you!

So My limit right now is about $3000 (this will continue to increase as my paychecks come in), mainly because I'm not looking for an already built race car or mint condition car. Just something that runs good and wont cost me more to get fixed/running than its worth.

I do enjoy the idea of a Firebird but haven't had much luck finding one I like. Both the 3rd gen Camaro and Firebird have been my favorites so I'd be happy with either.

As far as features, I'm mostly concerned with the engine, I'd prefer to get a 350 over a 305. I'm not particular on trans or t-tops, they're a bonus to me.

Travel wise, I'm about 3 hours away from Tampa. I live in Brevard County close to Kennedy Space Center. I'd say my travel distance is within Florida as a whole, mainly because I'd prefer to drive my new toy home then have to tow/ship it.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

If that IROC is indeed a 350 car and runs as good as he says, then it is a good price for it. I don't see that car lasting too long, you may want to go look at it asap before someone else buys it.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
If that IROC is indeed a 350 car and runs as good as he says, then it is a good price for it. I don't see that car lasting too long, you may want to go look at it asap before someone else buys it.
I agree, I'm hoping there is someone in the area that may have seen it or would be willing to check it out for me. I'm traveling for work this week so it would be rather impossible for me to see it in person before Saturday or Sunday.

Plus I needed to do some homework on what to watch out for when inspecting these cars.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it makes it until the weekend!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

Originally Posted by Kilmer90
I agree, I'm hoping there is someone in the area that may have seen it or would be willing to check it out for me. I'm traveling for work this week so it would be rather impossible for me to see it in person before Saturday or Sunday.

Plus I needed to do some homework on what to watch out for when inspecting these cars.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it makes it until the weekend!

Thanks for all the help!
Check for rust if it it's T-Top, always go into t-top cars assuming the roof leaks, because as a owner of one. It usually does. Check for hacked up wiring, you don't want a nightmare. Drive it at low speed, and at highway speed, listen for squeaks, creaks, and whatever else. These cars will have them, but you want to make sure it's not something serious.

We all wish you luck on getting a good car, will be great to have another join us for CFL meets!
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Thanks! I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one these beauty's. I'm aiming to have a 383 in the future. Of course that will be after everything checks out with the car and I've got the funds to get one built properly. I guess I could always buy a crate 383, but wheres the fun in that? I think it would be more gratifying to build one up!

Where do guys/gals normally do meets?? Will definitely have to come out!
Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

Originally Posted by Kilmer90
Thanks! I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one these beauty's. I'm aiming to have a 383 in the future. Of course that will be after everything checks out with the car and I've got the funds to get one built properly. I guess I could always buy a crate 383, but wheres the fun in that? I think it would be more gratifying to build one up!

Where do guys/gals normally do meets?? Will definitely have to come out!
We pick random places, keep an eye on the Official Tampa thread.