Southern California Area Southern California Members.

SC3G Fall Super Cruise and a little history lesson on Camaro's and Firebirds!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Firebird S/E WS6 J65
Engine: 2.8L H.O. 173 CID (LL1)(L code)
Transmission: Turbo Hydra-matic 700-R4 (MD8)
SC3G Fall Super Cruise and a little history lesson on Camaro's and Firebirds!!

I am re-posting this as a new thread to see if we can get more questions this was originally posted on the SC3G Fall Super Cruise Sunday November 21st, 2010 thread by Grey Goose join us for the cruise then a awesome time at the end for some conversation with a designer of the 3rd gens and check out the cars...

Breakfast and show at Hometown buffet at the plant in Van Nuys

Lunch/Early Dinner and show again at Telly's in Castaic after the Super Cruise oh and a little history lesson on Camaro's and Firebirds

Re: SC3G Fall Super Cruise Sunday November 21st, 2010
Through Rod (trucker) we have been able to secure a Question & Answer session with a member of the f body design team that worked at the Van Nuys Plant from 1966-2004. Since this is such a unique opportunity Rod and I have decided to video tape the Q&A session so members that aren’t able to make it to the Super Cruise can share in the experience. We will be implementing an interview type format where either Rod or I will ask the gentleman questions about F Body history and assembly. We feel that this is the most efficient way to maximize our time with the designer and cover the most area.

Now for the questions that we will be asking during the interview… We would like the questions to come from the membership so please post any questions you have about the history, design, marketing, etc. of the 3rd generation f body. 20 questions will be selected and incorporated into the interview. Screen name and user location will be announced before each question is asked. Once the video is complete it will be made available on You Tube for everyone to enjoy.

So let’s start coming up with some questions

We’re only 7 days out!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R
Re: SC3G Fall Super Cruise and a little history lesson on Camaro's and Firebirds!!

Ask him how much input the Federal Govt has regarding exterior styling of vehicles.

And if he knows Steve Braumn
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Re: SC3G Fall Super Cruise and a little history lesson on Camaro's and Firebirds!!

Ask him if he ever owned one.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vetruck
Ask him if he ever owned one.
He worked for GM for 35 years and
he already told me and I quote...

"I have literally owned "one of every GM Muscle Car" built (from Chevy to Buick and everything in between) since the mid 1960's including Camaro's, Firebirds and yes, even Nova SS's"

"got involved in the Inspection and Final Car build and design process helping to design the Camaro RS in 1986 doing a lot of the suspension, and drive train engineering, building three "prototypes" at the plant, and then driving these "test mules" all over So. Cal. and going to various Chevy Dealerships and seeing if they would be interested in purchasing these special Camaro's if we built them for So. Cal. only....they were ecstatic and so we went into production and ended up selling these to every state in the union after California started receiving their allotment"

"Also made the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am's for the Nightrider TV show back in 1982, that is a story all to itself, was a crazy couple of years building those cars for the studios and watching them destroy them, one by one"

"Also built the first "big Block" "Gen One" 396 Camaro's (yep, built an L-78 in 1967 for myself), drag raced the crap out of it and built 3 more for many automotive magazines, all four speeds. I had the first and only Turbo 400 Auto L-78 375 HP of the group...it was a learning experience drag racing against those stick shift Camaro's...they were fast, but I was quicker"
Old 11-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by trucker
He worked for GM for 35 years and
he already told me and I quote...

"I have literally owned "one of every GM Muscle Car" built (from Chevy to Buick and everything in between) since the mid 1960's including Camaro's, Firebirds and yes, even Nova SS's"

"got involved in the Inspection and Final Car build and design process helping to design the Camaro RS in 1986 doing a lot of the suspension, and drive train engineering, building three "prototypes" at the plant, and then driving these "test mules" all over So. Cal. and going to various Chevy Dealerships and seeing if they would be interested in purchasing these special Camaro's if we built them for So. Cal. only....they were ecstatic and so we went into production and ended up selling these to every state in the union after California started receiving their allotment"

"Also made the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am's for the Nightrider TV show back in 1982, that is a story all to itself, was a crazy couple of years building those cars for the studios and watching them destroy them, one by one"

"Also built the first "big Block" "Gen One" 396 Camaro's (yep, built an L-78 in 1967 for myself), drag raced the crap out of it and built 3 more for many automotive magazines, all four speeds. I had the first and only Turbo 400 Auto L-78 375 HP of the group...it was a learning experience drag racing against those stick shift Camaro's...they were fast, but I was quicker"
I will reiterate my question so it is clear. You state in his quote he has."Literally owned". Well literally owned by having GM issue you a test mule vs. going out and spending your hard earned cash on owning one are two very different things.

I will ask again, I would be real curious if a guy that designed these cars would go out and spend his own hard earned cash on one believing in it? or is the one he had just given to him. His perspective might be that he may think GM skimped corners and compromised designs in the sake of production costs- then again, he may not.- Just phrase the question that way, You can print this and ask in my behalf if you would like.

Why? My perspective is that the engineering of these is very good in geometry (Jus tthe front ackerman at full lock makes the chassis climb) for its time. these cars have a very good base setup unless lowered to much when pertasining to factory geometry and suspension mount points.

Where I feel they lack is all the stamped steel crap that was compromised in design as well as lots of chassis flex that could have been better strengthened with a little more production cost passed to the consumer.

Dean- Vetruck

Last edited by Vetruck; 11-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vetruck
I will reiterate my question so it is clear. You state in his quote he has."Literally owned". Well literally owned by having GM issue you a test mule vs. going out and spending your hard earned cash on owning one are two very different things.

I will ask again, I would be real curious if a guy that designed these cars would go out and spend his own hard earned cash on one believing in it? or is the one he had just given to him. His perspective might be he may thing GM skimped corners and copromised designs in the sake of production costs- Justr phrase the question that way.
He was driving a 77 stingray when I met up with him last week....
Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Please direct all questions of comments about the upcoming SC3G Super Cruise to the "SC3G Fall Super Cruise Sunday November 21st, 2010" thread posted by Grey Goose (Mike).

Thanks, Lon