Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Calling Jerrywho, Vetruck, and anyone familiar with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Calling Jerrywho, Vetruck, and anyone familiar with suspension

Check this out:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ps-pump-w.html

What do you think of it? Does this look reasonably doable? I would love to have rack & pinion on my car if I could have someone with good fabricating skills to do this type of mod. How much trouble do you think this is?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Re: Calling Jerrywho, Vetruck, and anyone familiar with suspension

Originally Posted by 86_Dan_Z28
Check this out:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ps-pump-w.html

What do you think of it? Does this look reasonably doable? I would love to have rack & pinion on my car if I could have someone with good fabricating skills to do this type of mod. How much trouble do you think this is?

Not really a suspension issue, you'll only improve steering feel if you dont screw up bump steer. Regardless of that, I don't think it's worth the trouble. If you want to get crazy about steering feel, look into one of the newer GM steering boxes. Jerry has a modded box with a much quicker steering ratio.
I run a stock box that I bench adjusted to factory specs and it's adequate enough for me to be 2.3 seconds off of the adams time attack record.
I would love to run one of those boxes that jerry has though. I'd also add in an Astro van steering shaft and a junkyard wonderbar to cover all bases. If weight is the concern, there are easier ways to save 20 lbs.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Re: Calling Jerrywho, Vetruck, and anyone familiar with suspension

I agree. I never felt anything wrong with the steering box and factory link setup on these cars. THe geometry is slightly off at full lock, but who runs full lock in performance- you are usually half way to full lock at most in hard low speed cornering or else you have other setup issues causing an extremely tight car.

I would recommend just keeping the factory box format. Like Pablo states, it appears to be hard to mount in order to get the proper geometry not to have bumpsteer and to get the correct ackerman. Alot of trial and error on something very limited in fitment.

My car steered like a jetfighter- its what made the car so fun to drive. You turned the wheel and it responed immediately and percisely. The AGR box I wnt to way crap though- stick with Lee Performance. I have Lee boxes in two other cars. I have a rack setup in a little sandrail I built that is not correct in geometry but good enough for dirt use for a budget build. You drive it on the street with much more grip than dirt and you feel the problems. I bilt this thing like I said with cheap parts and a vw rack and pinion and made the suspension just to handle jumps and bumps, not cornering. Just using this as an example if you don;t get the geometry right you will have major problems.

Last edited by Vetruck; 03-25-2011 at 01:43 PM.