Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Rear End Brake lines and setup?? Need the tech info

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Brake lines and setup?? Need the tech info

Whats up guys. I purchased a set of prebent lines from 3rd gen solutions and a set of SIERRA 4 piston mini billet rear calipers and I am going to have a bracket fabricated to accept them on my 10 bolt rear.

I'm sure others have had problems with this.

The problem I am having is how to run the brake lines. Does anyone have a diagram of how to run the brake lines? The prebent lines don't exactly match up but look like they are really nice so I know I am forgetting somthing. Since I am switching from drum to disc I have no basis for comparison. I was thinking maybe the hard lines on the rear ran until a certain point and then a braided flexi line was connected then that connected to the caliper. Is this right?? Let me know guys cuz I am stumped. Thanks everyone! Peace :hail:

p.s. DOES ANYONE HAVE PICTURES OF THEIR DISC SETUP? Thats worth 1000 words. :lala:
Old 04-15-2002, 11:43 AM

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: TPI 350 ci
Transmission: 5 speed
the pre-bent lines run from the proportioning valve, under the master cylinder, down along the front frame area and back to the rear, by way of the tunnel. It'll upturn slightly right in front of the gas tank, where the flex line will attach that goes to the rear end. From that 'T' connection on the rear, it's metal lines out to a mounting point where you have another flex line going to the caliper
Old 04-15-2002, 11:50 AM

nono

I bought just the prebent rear lines but you inadvertantly answered one of my questions! I was figuring out how to match up the rear lines. So I need ot buy a set of braided steel lines? WHere is the mounting point on the rear end for the hard- flexi line switchoff? there are those rusted little tabs from the factory. Will those work?
Old 04-15-2002, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
You're swapping the whole axle? Were there no brake lines on the axle? The routing is almost exactly as if on a drum brake axle. Two exceptions: The driver's side caliper goes to the steel line directly. The passenger side's caliper has a hose between it and the steel line.

A hose couldn't fit on the driver's side because of the sharp turn the brake line needs to take. This makes the driver's side more of a pain to change the pads on, since you have to open the brake line connection.

On a drum rear axle, both hard lines go right to the wheel cylinders; the only hose back there is the body-to-axle hose. Rear disc axles have the body-to-axle hose and right-rear-hard-line-to-right-rear-caliper hose.

Is that what you needed?
Old 04-15-2002, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Z-28
Engine: 5.0 w/ Holly carb
Transmission: TH-700R4
Rear disc brakes with floating calipers have a flex line at each caliper. Only the early 3rdgen rear disc brakes had a hardline to the caliper.

Thanx,ANDYZ28