Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Suspension upgrade question…

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension upgrade question…

I have a 1992 RS and my suspension is completely screwed up so I am planning on dropping around two thousand into it and would like everyone’s opinion as to what type of bushings I should get. I was thinking about getting Polyurethane Bushings but wanted to know how they would effect every day driving. Would upgrading to polyurethane bushings increase road noise significantly? I use the car for every day driving so I don’t want things to be to bumpy.

Furthermore should I get Adjustable control arms, panhard bar and wonder bar? I am not sure exactly how to adjust everything and I am thinking it might be easier if I just get the non adjustable versions.

Additionally here is my tentative parts lists:

Lower Control Arms - Std. Tubular with Poly Bushings Bright Red 4130 Chrome Moly

Panhard Bar - Std. Tubular with Poly Bushings
Bright Red 4130 Chrome Moly

Tubular Steering Brace (Wonder Bar) Bright Red

Polyurethane Bushing - Total Kit - 1982-1992 F-Body
32mm 7-1609 23mm

Polyurethane Motor Mounts (82-92)

Front End Rebuild Kit: 1982-1992 F-Body

Upper Strut Mount Package

1. Plus Sport Tuned Suspension System - 1982-92 F-Body from vette brakes. Product ID: 12500S
Description: Designed for high performance driving applications, this suspension system will greatly increase handling, safety and looks. Kit includes: 1.25" Addco Front Anti-Sway Bar Kit; .875" Rear Addco Anti-Sway Bar Kit; Bilstein front Sport Struts; Bilstein Rear Sport Shocks; Front and Rear Hyperco Lowering Coil Springs. PRODUCT NOTES: Anti-Sway Bar Kits include grade-8 (aircraft grade) mounting hardware and graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings. The sway bars are yellow-zinc anodized (shiny gold tinted plating) and carry a limited lifetime warranty. Bilstein Sport shocks and struts are specially valved for performance use and also carry a limited lifetime warranty. The Hyperco coil springs will LOWER the vehicle approximately 1.25" in the front and 1.00" in the rear.
Price: $999.95 (price has gone up)
Old 05-10-2003, 11:41 PM
TGO Supporter

First, I must say there is a wealth of information if you would do a search. But I will answer some of your ?'s

What kind of bushings you would want will depend on what you can handle considering the ride of the car and road noise. If its going to be a daily driver you should probably just stick with poly bushings. Get adjustable peices, especially if you are going to lower the car. The panhard will adjust the rear side to side and the lca's fore and aft. Nothing too hard really. Don't get an adjustable wonderbar though.

Everything else looks pretty good, the only comments I will add is that the engine mounts are a pita to replace and I think you could save some money if you just bought the stuff seperately from that vette brakes package and just didn't get new sway bars. You aren't really going to find anything much better than the stock ones. If you want something bigger than on what's your RS hit the junk yards or ebay or something and just paint them black so they look nice.

Also I just noticed you are going with chromemoly, any particular reason why? Maybe skip the chromemoly on the parts and skip the swaybars and then get some sfc's if you don't have them already.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TransAm GTA
Engine: One sweet modified 355 TPI.
Transmission: The kind that shifts....
I'd definitely add Sub-frames to your list. SFC's are more of a requirement than a recomendation. I'm definitely going with them, just can't decide what ones to get. The Spohn peices sound good, but there are quite a few more choices out there.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:07 AM

Car: Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get the poly motor mounts!!!!

They significantly increase the vibrations transerfered to the chassis from the motor. I had mine in and then back out a week later, I hated them! If you thought your car had any rattles before you put them in, everything will rattle once you have them installed.

THe most hadling increase you will see as far as the sway bars are concerned are the endlinks, go from rubber to poly and you will see a noticable difference. It's not necessary to get new bars. And I second the Spohn SFCs, these cars NEED them badly.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:54 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Note my sig for what I've done--Prothane a-arm bushings are coming shortly (along with Spohn 1LE brakes). The car rides firmly (the motor mounts didn't add any significant noise in my application--but that may be because one of the originals was broken).

JamesC
Old 05-13-2003, 07:46 AM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: LO3
SFC and strut brace, :hail: SFC and strut brace :hail: SUB FRAME CONNECTORS AND STRUT BRACE. :hail: :hail: I cannot say this enough,, get those on before you do anything or you will just ask for more twist, sqweaks and rattle. Your newly suspension will not give you the right out come without this.. Remember the General (GM) cut corners on our chassis and now we have the pay the difference........ Happy Fbodying
Old 05-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.45
Originally posted by Tony90RS
SFC and strut brace, :hail: SFC and strut brace :hail: SUB FRAME CONNECTORS AND STRUT BRACE. :hail: :hail: I cannot say this enough,, get those on before you do anything or you will just ask for more twist, sqweaks and rattle. Your newly suspension will not give you the right out come without this.. Remember the General (GM) cut corners on our chassis and now we have the pay the difference........ Happy Fbodying

Tony didn't even belive in SFC until he had them put on lately. They do work well, and will help you out on tuning your suspension.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:46 AM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: LO3
Amen Brother ,, I believe:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: