Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Unhappy with Eibach Prokit springs-please help with stance

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy with Eibach Prokit springs-please help with stance

My 91 Trans Am rear springs were pretty shot and sagging so I decided to get prokit lowering springs. 1st problem is the right rear sits over half inch lower than left rear. And I know I installed them correctly. I even took it back apart and checked the insolator location. Tech guy at Summit said I might have a defective spring, but how do i prove that to Eibach. The real problem is that is I think the rear end sits too low with these srpings, and I'm afraid to put stock TA springs in because it might sit too high. Anyone have any suggestions on both problems??? I see that Hotchkis makes a kit that drops it 1" instead on Eibach's 1-1.5". This might be the answer, but I can't afford to keep running the guess and check method-otherwise I'll clear out my bank account, and never drive my car again! Lastly...I've heard about a new style insolator from GM that actually raise the car a bit. If I could put those on my car with the Eibach's in back, then I think i'd love the stance. I'm picky and want the stance to be perfect-any help you can offer would be outstanding. I'll send picks when done. THANK YOU!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:03 PM

Car: 2x1991 & 2000 Camaros
Engine: 350, 305 & LS1
Transmission: TH-700R4 and 4l60E
The proof is the fact that one spring makes a measureable difference in ride height.
I try to buy from local shops instead of mail-order based on this exact delima. In order for the warrenty to be in effect, you have to SHIP them back (at your expense). If it was a local shop, you just have to take it back in.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
Tech guy at Summit said I might have a defective spring
This statment proves it, if the tech support guy said it, did you ask him if summit would take care of a waranty swap for you. I think if you insist on it they will do it.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:44 AM

I bought the springs from ThunderRacing, and I haven't contacted them yet. Does anyone have any info on the "new style" GM rear spring insulator. I've heard it is a new part number, and it is thicker, and raises the back end up. I've seen pictures on this website, so I'll go check old articles, but if anyone has any info and a part number, that'd help a lot. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Try swapping the springs side to side and see if you get the same results, but now on the opposite side. That won't resolve your problem with getting them replaced, but will lend more weight to the fact that the springs are indeed a problem. Check Thunder Racings return policy. Some require you to get a RA (return authorization) number.

Lon
Old 07-12-2003, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely do what lonsal suggested. Don't assume that the springs are the only thing down there that could cause this though, read on if you want to hear about my experiences.

One of the reasons I replaced my springs was to try and get rid of the problem of my right rear being lower than the left. I replaced them, problem was still there. About 5 months later one of my ball joints went out and i only had time to replace one side, so i took the arm off and replaced the LCA bushings and the ball joint. Afterwards I looked at my car from the back and surprisingly it was level. The next weekend I did the same thing on the other side and looked at it afterwards and it was lower on the right again. In all cases I installed the springs exactly the way they were supposed to go, and I had used GM rubber insulators on all four springs.

I'm thinking the LCA bushing bolts or the sway bar might have something to do with it, but I don't know for sure.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:44 PM

here's the cool fix. with this little mod you can adjust the ride height front to back and side to side. You can even preload the rearend to eliminate twist on hard launches at the drags.

Screw Jack assembly ready to install. top plate and nut are welded into existing spring pocket. Pocket must be massaged flat and hole for screw and nut installed first.

here it is installed

and this is how you adjust the spring height. Just insert 3/8 drive ratchet and turn.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Damn ratchet your good with fab'n stuff i seen the sfc's you made and the relocation brackets.