Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Rear springs bowed...4th gen 12-bolt, eibach pro kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
Rear springs bowed...4th gen 12-bolt, eibach pro kit

Hey all. I have an 87 Trans AM. Doin the LS1/T56 swap on it now. I have a Strange 12-bolt rear from a 4th gen in it now. BMR fixed control arms. Spohn adjustable panhard bar. And Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I noticed that with everything bolted loosley, and the weight of the car on the axle, that the springs are bowed a bit. I didnt see any clocking options of the spring like in the front. Here is the pic. Kind of hard to tell...but you can see its sort of bowed.

Is it because nothing is fully tight yet??? The torque arm, also spohn, is installed but nothing is tight. Im thinking that maybe once everything is tightened up it might pull things around a bit. Is the pinion angle usually set correctly on spohns torque arms when you buy them??? I dont remember looking at my stock rear springs...so I wasnt sure if they just sat like that normally.

If no one has any ideas Ill probably just see what happens when I get everything good and tight. Thanks for any suggestions you have!!!

Justin
Old 07-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,276 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
That's just kind of what they do.

As the rear deflects through its travel, it rotates. As it rotates, the springs start out like that at full "rebound" height, then should be near straight as it passes through "static" ride height, then appear to bow the other way as it reaches full "jounce".

The Spohn torque arm is adjustable, and there's no way he can know yor particular car's geometry in order to preset it. So no, it is about guaranteed to be wrong for yoru car when you get it. You MUST adjust it after it's all installed and sitting at normal ride height.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Ok cool. I kinda figured thats what they did. So I didnt miss any clocking marks or anything like that...? I might be removing the isolators and doing the rubber hose deal because the back looks alittle high. I have to see what happens wtih it on the ground after my first drive. See if things settle enough.

I also figured on adjusting the torque arm. I think it was the panhard bar that I was thinking of that he sets at stock length before selling it.

Justin
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: projects.......
The spring "bow" is normal, but I'd say your at a positive pinion angle, which would make it as excessive as your's looks. - The spring situation isn't bad, but from the loooks of things, you need to set your pinion angle.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Cool. I gotta tighten everything down, and wait for my bolts to come from Spohn for the torque arm to diff mount. Then Ill check the pinion angle out and see whats up. I gotta figure otu what the angles are supposed to be I guess or measuring the angle will be useless. Thanks guys!

Justin