Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

need new bushings...is this kit good?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
need new bushings...is this kit good?? HELP!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EN...R/?image=large

been looking to buy new bushings because my suspension is horrible..
so....would this kit from Summit Racing be good for my 89 GTA??
thanks
Mikey
Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: need new bushings...is this kit good?? HELP!

If you have an AutoZone around, save your shipping dollar and just get the parts from them - they can special order all that, usually arrives in 2 days, and a no-hassle return policy.

Besides, I think the entire kit is a waste - you'll never see any benefit from "tie rod dust boots". You'd want to do the sway bar end links (on the shelf at most Autozones), the sway bar bushings, and the motor mounts maybe.

Tranny mount is preference - some say the poly tranny mount makes for alot of vibration in the car interior - haven't really noticed on mine. But you may prefer a new stock rubber tranny mount if you don't like feeling every llittle aspect of what's happening with the car.

The torque arm bushing is a real PITA to do, unless you have access to a lift - it's really hard to get that torque arm into that mount as the metal doesn't want to easily slip into the poly mount - took me over an hour of beating, hammering, pushing, pulling, cussing, etc. to get mine in place while on my back in the driveway on jack stands.

Motor mounts are nice - just make sure you put them in properly - they only go one way, and they are different per side - pay close attention to how the old ones come out. (some will argue this saying they are identical, which they are to a degree - there are two identical pieces and two other identical pieces, but unless you put them together corrctly with the metal inserts facing the right way, they won't work right - thus it HAS to be done right.)

Control arm bushings are a real PITA to get the old ones out as well - at least in the driveway with ordinary hand tools. Air tools and access to hydraulic presses might make it easier, I wouldn't know.

If you do the motor mounts, the sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, & the tranny mount, add new shocks/struts (especially if you do good stuff like Bilstein or Koni), new springs all around (I love my Eibachs), and new ball joints and tie rod ends (get these from Napa - the stuff that's slightly higher in price is REAL NICE) - you'll notice a night and day difference.

I did the Napa parts I suggested, Bilsteins and Eibachs, and poly all around, and I spent about $1300, but man what a difference in handling! Hope that helps you - as with anything do what you (and your wallet) want.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Supreme Member

ok....another question...my suspension sucks all around...what do i get to make it better? >.<
Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsMikey
ok....another question...my suspension sucks all around...what do i get to make it better? >.<

All depends on two things:
1 how deep is your wallet or how much debt do you want to get into with a credit card

2 what do you want to do

if you feel you want to blow your wade and go all out, just check out some of the after market suppiers like spohn, BMR, UMI..ect all of which can be found on the hawks third gen website. if this is the route you want to go then I would go with full tubular suspesion parts that are adjustable with rod ends not bushing(they are more durable but make a butt load of noise), a good coil over kit with a set of koni shocks. This will probably run between 2k-3k easy, and that is if everything goes right and nothing breaks.

Other option is get a good set of sub frame connectors, do a poly bushing kit, get KYB AGX shock and struts and do a eibach prokit. This alone will make your car feel like it is huging the road. If you do this, I would do an adjustable panhard bar, adjustable LCA possibly LCA relocation brackets and get your cars alignment done.

Hope this helps
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by itsMikey
Glasses - 'cause I just mentioned all the parts in my last post to make a great street suspension
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
Glasses - 'cause I just mentioned all the parts in my last post to make a great street suspension
Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

alright? O_o thanks kowalzekc...ill look into it....