Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5 stick
steering box?

i just bought an 89 rs and when i was driving it home i was dangerously weaving aaalll over the road, it would yank me to the left whenever it felt like it.

On top off that, whenever i turned slightly to the left the left tire would squeal as if im turning to fast or sharp.

the alignment is totally screwed, the steering wheel has to be turned upside down in order to go straight, a buddy was driving behind me and told me my tire was turning in.

when i got home, i bounced the front end up and down alittle and the left tire wobbled a little.

The guy told me it was a steering box problem but I really cant trust him anymore. would it effect both wheels evenly or the left more then the right if it were indeed the steering box?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Re: steering box?

I checked symptoms of a bad steering box and they all seem to match but what about the wobbly left tire and how it pulls me more to the left then the right?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to check your ball joints, a arm bushings and tie rod ends as well. The front end sounds like it is really messed up. If you want to upgrade to a lighter tubular set up in the front give me a call. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: SC'ed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 12bolt

Check your wheel bearings too. My 86 had one side loose enough when I bought it to make it track funny until I repacked it and tightened it properly. Front end jacked up you could easily "wobble" the wheel.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM

I will definitely check this all out today... I did notice when I jacked it up the tire moved inward... I thought it was the whole car that moved because I was on a hill but it mustve been the tire only.

I will get under it today though and report back with what is broken and what is ok... I am pretty sure the steering box is one of the main culprits for all of the jerking and pulling though but we'll see today
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Check your frame rail under the steering box, It is prone to crack behind the box where it attaches. If this happens, the box will wobble and thus the pitman arm wobbles making the left side of the center link move off vertical and thus toe in the left tire.

Dean
Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Ill check on that too, that seems pretty logical.

Boy, coming from japanese suspension/ chassis to american is a big change! Ive never even heard of a steering box or panhard bar or things like that.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM

I wasnt able to get all the way under there to start checking things out, I i poked my head under for a minute and everything seems intact and held together... When I get back Ill jack it up and take a better look at everything.

I also think wwnf is right about the wheel bearing since my wheel is a little wiggly.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by sparkplug619
I wasnt able to get all the way under there to start checking things out, I i poked my head under for a minute and everything seems intact and held together... When I get back Ill jack it up and take a better look at everything.

I also think wwnf is right about the wheel bearing since my wheel is a little wiggly.
An easy method of checking the steering box to frame bolt-up and flex is to:

Open the hood, roll down drivers side window, start engine. While standing outside of car observe the steering box and move the steering wheel from side to side. Only need to move it 45* to 60* from center, back and forth.

Note the movement and a possible cracking or popping sound as this is done.

Even if the frame rail is OK, it will convince you that a wonder bar (steering brace) is required on these cars.

RBob.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 PM

got down there today and I really feel lucky to be alive.

To start: I was removing my left wheel and realized not only 1 lug was missing, but the other lugs were dangerously loose.

Next: I got the tire off and checked everything out, nothing seems to be loose, broken, detached, although my bushings are WORN.

Since my battery is dead from messing with a few wires inside the car and keeping car on acc and the door open, I was unable to check out the steering box.

When I put my wheel back on and torqued it down, the wheel no longer wiggled!!

BTW, I think my shocks are bad lol