Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

coil springs removal on camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 camaro Z/28
Engine: 305 V/8 4bbl carb
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3-23 posi with 4 wheel discs
coil springs removal on camaro

hi , i need to change my front coil springs on my 85 Z/28...i got an inner coil spring tool ...can i remove the link on the lower table and with the spring compressed unscrew the table bolts and remove the compressed spring?..is that enough space?...and what do you suggest...stock?...moog? or some aftermarket lowered springs like 1.5' lower?....thanks ...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: coil springs removal on camaro

No need for a spring compressor, but a short length of chain to hold the spring to the a-arm is a very good idea.

Jack the car up, put it on a jackstand.
Use your floor jack to SLIGHTLY lift the a-arm.
Take the single strut mount loose.
SLOWLY lower the a-arm/strut/steering links as one complete assembly, to keep it from popping out.
Pull the spring out.

Not clue what you mean by "lower table".
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Def do the chain - through the spring, through the A-arm, and run a bolt/nut through the two ends - the spring will pop with alot of force, and this keeps it attached to the car instead of embedded in your head! If you lower the A-arm all the way and the spring doesn't pop on it's own, a little pressure from behind with a long bar will pop it out - it'll scare you, but it won't kill you (with the chain attached that is).
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
No need for a spring compressor, but a short length of chain to hold the spring to the a-arm is a very good idea.

Jack the car up, put it on a jackstand.
Use your floor jack to SLIGHTLY lift the a-arm.
Take the single strut mount loose.
SLOWLY lower the a-arm/strut/steering links as one complete assembly, to keep it from popping out.
Pull the spring out.

Not clue what you mean by "lower table".
hi , thanks for the quick response,,,the lower table is the part linked to the lower ball joint and has the bottom of the spring ...(that's what i though it was called anyways),,,a-arm is what?..and single strut mount?..i don't understand what you mean...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

A-arm holds the ball joint.

Single strut mount is the single nut on the threaded rod that comes up though the fender - it's under the plastic cap of the strut tower mount under the hood.

Springs go in a particular way when reinstalling - pay attention to how it's located in the A-arm - there will be two holes in the A-arm, and the end of the coil will be inbetween the two holes - new springs need to go back just like this.

Also, the rubber isolators at the tops of each spring - there will be indentions from the old spring - make sure the new spring goes back in the rubber isolator the same way, and use electrical tape to tape the isolator to the spring top to keep it in place when reinstalling. Just leave the tape in there.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mooch1
hi , thanks for the quick response,,,the lower table is the part linked to the lower ball joint and has the bottom of the spring ...(that's what i though it was called anyways),,,a-arm is what?..and single strut mount?..i don't understand what you mean...
Your "table" ia an a-arm. Never heard it called a table before.

Single strut mount...The nut that holds it IN the engine compartment. Pop the plastic cover off & you'll see a single nut in there. Pull that nut off (almst requires air tools, otherwise the strut rod will spin fast enough that the nut won't come off) then lower the floor jack & the assembly will come down, supported on the floor jack.

Oh yeah.....The brake line is held to the body by 1 small bolt. Pull that bolt out otherwise the assembly can't swing down far enough.

Took us 3 hours to swap out all 4 springs on my car.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie

Single strut mount is the single nut on the threaded rod that comes up though the fender - it's under the plastic cap of the strut tower mount under the hood.

Springs go in a particular way when reinstalling - pay attention to how it's located in the A-arm - there will be two holes in the A-arm, and the end of the coil will be inbetween the two holes - new springs need to go back just like this.

Also, the rubber isolators at the tops of each spring - there will be indentions from the old spring - make sure the new spring goes back in the rubber isolator the same way, and use electrical tape to tape the isolator to the spring top to keep it in place when reinstalling. Just leave the tape in there.
ok...so i need to unscrew that large strut bolt and the balljoint?...then with that chain in place unscrew the a-arm bolts and lower it slowly?...i have the spring compressor...borrowed it from someone..i can use it i guess without using the chain,,,,i thought i could just undo the stab -bar link and with this tool compress the spring and undo the side bolts on the a-arm,,i read this would have enough space to remove/install the spring...without removing or unscrewing anything else, can i do it that way?....also ..what springs do you recommend..i can get some nice springs on ebay that are 1' or so lower...is this good?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

ok...so i need to unscrew that large strut bolt and the balljoint?
NO - just the strut bolt at the top in the engine bay - leave the ball joint alone.

unscrew the a-arm bolts and lower it slowly
NO - no need to remove or even loosen A-arm bolts

i have the spring compressor...borrowed it from someone..i can use it i guess without using the chain?
Forget the spring compressor - waste of time and very dangerous

i thought i could just undo the stab -bar link and with this tool compress the spring and undo the side bolts on the a-arm,,i read this would have enough space to remove/install the spring...without removing or unscrewing anything else, can i do it that way?
If you remove the A-Arm bolts, you'll pay hell getting them back in - again, forget the spring compressor.

No need to remove the sway bar (stabilizer bar). All you have to do is what we've mentioned - nothing more, nothing less - easiest and safest way.

what springs do you recommend..i can get some nice springs on ebay that are 1' or so lower...is this good?
Personal preference on springs - either stay stock ride height and use Moog, or if you want lowering lok at Eibach Prokit - the Eibach's you can order at local Autozone and have them the next day with NO shipping charges - the Prokit lowers 1 inch which allows most driveways without scraping and speed bumps as well, but still gives a nice lowered look.

Oops - just noticed Canada, so no autozone there I guess lol

Last edited by camaronewbie; 03-10-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: canada
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

ok...so i need to unscrew that large strut bolt and the balljoint?...then with that chain in place unscrew the a-arm bolts and lower it slowly?...i have the spring compressor...borrowed it from someone..i can use it i guess without using the chain,,,,i thought i could just undo the stab -bar link and with this tool compress the spring and undo the side bolts on the a-arm,,i read this would have enough space to remove/install the spring...without removing or unscrewing anything else, can i do it that way?....also ..what springs do you recommend..i can get some nice springs on ebay that are 1' or so lower...is this good?
By lowering the strut down with the a-arm this way.....

No need to loosen the ball joint, steering links, no a-arm bolts or anything else. JUST the single nut has to be loosened. Well, the wheels do hafta come off but you gotta do that regardless.

Doing the way I described only the ONE strut nut & small brake line retainer bolt comes loose. Nothing else.

Personally for springs? I love Ground Control Weight Jacks. Not the cheapest solution, but (IMHO) the best solution. Too high? Too Low? Just turn a wrench. No need to buy anything else. Want softer/stiffer springs? Much cheaper to buy new ones (like $50/each) than buying standard springs.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM

By lowering the strut down with the a-arm this way.....

No need to loosen the ball joint, steering links, no a-arm bolts or anything else. JUST the single nut has to be loosened. Well, the wheels do hafta come off but you gotta do that regardless.

Doing the way I described only the ONE strut nut & small brake line retainer bolt comes loose. Nothing else.

Personally for springs? I love Ground Control Weight Jacks. Not the cheapest solution, but (IMHO) the best solution. Too high? Too Low? Just turn a wrench. No need to buy anything else. Want softer/stiffer springs? Much cheaper to buy new ones (like $50/each) than buying standard springs.
ok,,so just unscrew that strut bolt at the top and undo the brake line bolt,,,then lower the jack....this will create enough room to slip the old and the new spring in?,,,the back seem easy ,,,i can let the rear end sag and pop them out with a crow bar?.....i can get some coils front-back that are 1.75' lower ..on ebay for $150 for the kit..would that be good?...thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Car: '78 GMC Sierra Heavy 1/2
Engine: GMPP ZZ4 Q-Jet
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 2 w/Race Internals
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3:42 Eaton

A Arm is derived from the shape of the lower control arm
Good luck with your fix
Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gregzz4
A Arm is derived from the shape of the lower control arm
Good luck with your fix
what about the coli springs...do you think installing 1.5' lower is okay?..
Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 AM

anyone?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

anyone?
Anyone what? We've already given you good info on removing springs. 1.5" drop is a good number IF you have good roads & a not-so-steep driveway.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Anyone what? We've already given you good info on removing springs. 1.5" drop is a good number IF you have good roads & a not-so-steep driveway.
ok...thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie

hi, ok the top of the spring will be fine with the rubber, i will tape it as you say... ...but at the bottom ,,can i just install it any way?..as long as it's in the circle in the a arm?,,,thankyou,,,and sorry fot the questions,,,i am doing my best to do what you guys are saying..
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

but at the bottom ,,can i just install it any way?..as long as it's in the circle in the a arm?
No. It must be indexed correctly: the end of the spring has to be positioned between the two drain holes in the a-arm. Check post #5 of the following link for a pic of the a-arm and the two holes:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...nsion-how.html

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 03-17-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

hi, ok the top of the spring will be fine with the rubber, i will tape it as you say... ...but at the bottom ,,can i just install it any way?..as long as it's in the circle in the a arm?,,,thankyou,,,and sorry fot the questions,,,i am doing my best to do what you guys are saying..
No.

Where the spring sets in the a-arm, it is not "flat". You will notice that in the coils, the last one is "lower" than the one above it, because of the coiling effect.

The a-arm has a spring seat that matches that, and 2 drain holes that it fits between.. Effectively, a "step". The very end of the coil fits into that "step".

Same goes for the stock rubber bushing. You'll likely notice the step in it & that needs to be lined up like it was originally.

Once you get apart, my bad descriptions will be clear. You most likely would have noticed it anyways.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 PM

ok...i see what you mean...the a-arm has a little notch...so the end of the coil will go in there,,,,but my coils are aftermarket coils ...one end has a coil end that looks like the original,,,but the other end has sort of a flat edge towards where the coil ends...this flat end should go up top or in the a-arm?,,i figure the flat edge will go up top?...thankyou and sorry for the many questions.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

No apology needed. We all have to start the learning process somewhere on cars in general, or even at 50yrs old on a different model you've never touched.

Anyways.....

Yeah Flat = top.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM

No apology needed. We all have to start the learning process somewhere on cars in general, or even at 50yrs old on a different model you've never touched.

Anyways.....

Yeah Flat = top.
ok..thanks...i am trying my best to do it your way...i think i will have to remove the coil...i don't have the bottom in right ...i will continue tomorrow...
Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM

hi , i have tried to put the coil spring back and it won't go back using this method....i am getting an internal coil spring compressor...also ...it it normal for my strut to be completely in and if i pull it out ,,,it goes back in right way?..i changed the front coils 2 years ago and barely drove the car....thanks.