Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Ever seen a Maxima outrun a Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: New 700r4 Done by 11/14/07!
Ever seen a Maxima outrun a Mustang GT?

Okay, so I'm busted. I've got a '99 Maxima SE-L that my wife drives. I check out the websites for the Max every now and again, and came across this post:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=44526

These meatheads think 14.9 second timeslips are fast as all hell! Now I'd love to eat a 'Stang GT just as much as anyone else here, but I just don't see a stock Maxima beating one. I know it's not tech, but I though it would be good for a laugh or two...
Old 06-17-2001, 11:07 AM
JJ

I read through some of those since I have a friend with a ~97 maxima. He has a few "mods", like a STB, KN's, maybe a thing or two more. He was positive that he could take my 89 formula L98 (it was stock at the time). Not even close. Of course he was sure it would handle better in the "twisties" (like all front-wheel drive import owners think) until he about lost it trying to stay with me on minor curves, ect. I'm unsure where this handling thing comes with front-wheel drive cars, I have a couple and they are nothing like a rear-wheel drive sports car. I know a guy with the impressive painted calipers that is sure his civic could destroy me in the twisties - sure, OK.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:35 AM

i heard somewhere they think their cars handle better because they are lighter and therefore are easier to toss around at low speed. from this they think their cars handle better at all speeds than larger heavier performance cars.
Old 06-24-2001, 06:43 PM

This was written at Hondamod.com about good handling vehicles:

well let me put it this way... true performance front wheel drive cars strive to achieve handling characteristics of rear wheel drive cars. with that said, only a special few have accomplished this feat. Integra Type R being one... when pushed to the limit the tail sways outward and is easily put back into traction with simple modulation of the throttle... all this comes without fear of spinning out. FWD cars are a lot more difficult to get a drift going! FWD cars suffer from HUGE amounts of traction problems!!! Those import FWD drag cars have no control until like 3rd gear!!! My only complaint about rear wheel drive is that if pushed a little too much on turns, it could spin out of control, but thats all part of the fun of driving competitively! Everything bad about FWD is good on RWD cars... more traction off the line, easy to drift, and just a whole lot better for an experienced driver. like i said FWD wont lose control very easily with its characteristic understeer... however RWD's oversteer can be extremely dangerous in the hand of the UNexperienced! SCCHHREEEEEEEEEEECH... BAM!!! right into a guard rail!

------------------
--Steve S--
1984 Trans Am 305 LG4, 5 speed Daily Driver, Flowmaster 80 Series
Holley 600 cfm & vacuum advance
Soon: Edlebrock Intake & TES