Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Eibach Pro Kit vs Sportline springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 RS Camaro
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Eibach Pro Kit vs Sportline springs?

Hey everyone i have a 89' RS Camaro that current has Eibach Pro kit springs on it...I just recently got a pair of Eibach Sportline springs for dirt cheap.....I know a lot of people run these springs, the prokit is 1" drop front and rear. The sportlines are 1.6" drop front/ 1.3" drop rear. I'm most likely going to install the sportlines. I was wondering to those who are running Eibachs or who've had both which is better in your opinion. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi
Re: Eibach Pro Kit vs Sportline springs?

Neither, Sell both the Prokits and Sportlines and get the Ground Control Weight Jack set up. You'll be able to adjust your height wherever you want it. After this kit I'll never touch Eibachs' again.

Last edited by robertfrank; 12-10-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm not looking to change out from Eibach, they are one of the best springs you can buy for third gens imo. I can get these Sportlines for $100 a set. I think this is well worth it. I'm getting them just cause, nice to have both sets. Just trying to get owners opinions on the sportlines. I realize most who have one don't/or wont have the other....so comparison is hard....any help is appreciated thanks.

Last edited by 89' RS/blue; 12-10-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Sportlines on my car, a nice drop but nothing too dramatic like the descriptions of Sportlines from the manufacturers/retailers would make you think so don't worry, truthfully I didnt measure the before/after height but I noticed right away when I went to pick the car up that it was lowered from looking at the back of it as soon as I pulled in the lot so its definitely noticeable. The Prokit is probably a waste of money, because the Sportlines still leave you with plenty of fender clearance.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

I'm telling from EXPERIENCE man. I've had the Pro-kits, I had them for a couple of years but due to all the weight I've pulled out of my car I needed to go lower. Got a set of sport lines for FREE. ran the Sport lines for about a week (Hated them) then got the GCWJ. All you have to tell them is what you're using the car for and they will set you up with the proper spring rate. I myself like the ability to adjust my ride height with just the turn of a wrench.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 AM

So if you've honestly had both the pro kit and sportlines....what is your opinion between them....Which did you like better/prefer? I have heard that the sportlines lower the ride height more, but i've heard its a bit too much and they sacrifice ride quality/ handling over the pro-kit...opinions? It all depends on how you drive obviously....me I drive my car like its a race car so I want superb handling w/ the lowest ride height...your honest opinion of which of the two is better would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

99% of the world wouldnt be able to tell your car was lowered even with Sportlines. Trust me on this. The fender isn't going to be slammed over the top of the tire like the descriptions would lead you to believe; all it's going to do is close half or a bit more of the gap between the tire and fender. Just get the Sportlines, the car won't be in danger. Here's a pic of sportlines on a bone stock, proper suspension:

It looks nice, but it's hardly slammed. I know it's hard to see the exact amount of fender gap, but it's a good bit less than when the car was stock. Car should've came this way from the factory IMO since it looks good and is plenty safe to drive in terms of ride height.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

i had the sportlines, they were worthless, the rear springs were way to short, soft and sucked. All its for is looks, nothing else.

Of the two, the prokit is the "better" kit, but people still usually complaint he rear springs are too soft.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
i had the sportlines, they were worthless, the rear springs were way to short, soft and sucked. All its for is looks, nothing else.

Of the two, the prokit is the "better" kit, but people still usually complaint he rear springs are too soft.
Agreed, that's why I put the stock rears back in when I had the prokit in. Damn rear bounced all over the place. For my GC I have 850lb up front and 200lb springs in the rear. I like it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 AM

Car: 89 Iroc and 83 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI and built 350
Transmission: 700 R4

robertfrank, What shock package did you run with the eibach springs and are they the same as you have with the GC gear? also, what size sway bar you got in with those 850s up front? I have a set of uninstalled sportlines but Im thinking about going with weight jacks so any info is appreciated thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual

I don't know why people knock the Sportlines? I have them on my Vert and it is obviously lowered. The ride is fine, no issues at all.

Name:  DSC04140.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  111.4 KB
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM

Car: 85 Z28 T-Top 36mm sway & wonderbar
Engine: TPI L98 350 W/85 Vette Stage II ECM
Transmission: W/C T-5, alum drive shaft
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi, 3:27, PBR's, BB LS1's

I just purchased the Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein hd struts and sports for the rear, Founders adj camber/caster plates, on car adj poly/rod LCA's, on car adj poly/poly panhard bar, Jegster frame ties and a BMR three point STB. Lowering the car 1" is a bonus I guess . I'm floating all over the place around 75-85 mph with my stock setup. I hope this setup I selected improves handling at higher speeds. I had to stay within my budget to get this suspension upgrade (wife don't know yet). I'll start installing these upgrades next week. Does anyone have a similar setup they can comment on?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 350/ported accel tpi/AFR 195
Transmission: t-5 =(
Axle/Gears: 345

ever think about hotchkis springs?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

Originally Posted by ZZ42Fast
I don't know why people knock the Sportlines? I have them on my Vert and it is obviously lowered. The ride is fine, no issues at all.

Their spring rates are all wrong - The Sportlines have a nasty reputation for making people's cars bounce all over and rebound poorly. I am one of those that is "Anti-Sportline" as I have purchased them for 2 cars, and took them back off because of extremely poor rides...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Car: 89 Iroc and 83 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI and built 350
Transmission: 700 R4

Dante93gtz.. those sportlines you took back..were they for a camaro? is it possible that these springs absolutely suck on other makes but arent so bad on camaros?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by racerbrown
robertfrank, What shock package did you run with the eibach springs and are they the same as you have with the GC gear? also, what size sway bar you got in with those 850s up front? I have a set of uninstalled sportlines but Im thinking about going with weight jacks so any info is appreciated thanks.
I could've went with better shocks but I just ran stock replacement sensa-trac's. I have the stock front sway bar but I might install the larger ones I got from an IROC many years ago but I haven't decided yet.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by robertfrank
I'm telling from EXPERIENCE man. I've had the Pro-kits, I had them for a couple of years but due to all the weight I've pulled out of my car I needed to go lower. Got a set of sport lines for FREE. ran the Sport lines for about a week (Hated them) then got the GCWJ. All you have to tell them is what you're using the car for and they will set you up with the proper spring rate. I myself like the ability to adjust my ride height with just the turn of a wrench.
How often do you adjust the height? And how tall do you currently have it? (ground to fender lip)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

I've only had to fix the springs if I jack the car up and the wheels hang. Sometimes the springs shift a little if you jack the car up but it's no big deal. I have the front from ground to fender lip 25 inches. The rear is 26 1/2 from ground to lip. I like a little bit of rake.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Car: 1990 camaro iroc z convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Just put on sport lines today I like the stance. Do they settle overtime and how much on average. I would like it to be a tad lower not much I'm pretty happy already I just hope they settle a little.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Had my Sportlines on the rear for a while now. No Settling for me.
I had Pro Kits all around. The I went to coil overs in the front and an LS1. With less weight, the car was way too high, looked like a 4WD Firebird.
The Sportlines are quite good riding and handling with the setup I have.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Wow - old post back from the dead...

Most that are thinking about one or the other do searches to see what others think, see pics of results etc.

Personally I concluded by my own searching that many people were not happy with how little the Pro Kit lowered thier cars, as it was barely noticible. Posted pics seem to prove it.

It is true that the spring rate is higher on the Pro Kit vs the Sportlines, and might be better suited for those that would like to road race thier cars...but that being said, if I were serious about road racing I'd most likely opt for neither and go with something like coil-overs anyway.

And no....I'm no suspension guru and have never attempted to set up any cars for road racing. I may go to the drag strip on test-n-tune day on occasion, but mainly just local cruising on the street.

How slow or fast your car rebounds over bumps (at least in my mind) is more of a function of which shocks you have...I've found that shocks made the single biggest difference in how my car handled...period. Sway bars, CC plates etc. helped, but not as dramatically.

Just remember, lowering these cars can bring on other issues...keep in mind the torque arm and rear end will drive further up into the tunnel on hard bumps, you may need a panhard bar to re-center the rear end (I didn't) - and your factory strut mounts might not have enough adjustment to properly align your front end. (maybe) And your DS pinion angle will change.

In the end, I opted for Sportline springs and added Bilsteins at the same time. It handles far better than I ever expected. Pic in in a post here: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...y-cheap.htmle:
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Ok so im no expert myself eitheir but, yall are all just talking about springs. What about the test of your suspension? IS springs all you have? If all you have is springs with nothing eles i.e. LCA, Panhard, sways etc its pointless right? correct me if im wrong but to me its kind of like trying to sprint in shoes with out shoe laces, half assing something.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by 3rdgearslammer
Ok so im no expert myself eitheir but, yall are all just talking about springs. What about the test of your suspension? IS springs all you have? If all you have is springs with nothing eles i.e. LCA, Panhard, sways etc its pointless right? correct me if im wrong but to me its kind of like trying to sprint in shoes with out shoe laces, half assing something.
Just talking about springs here, but we do the other stuff, too. A few of us have had our cars for years and had all manner of springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels, tires on our cars at one time or another. These cars are fun to drive, so we keep trying stuff.
LOTS of good ideas and parts floating around on TGO.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM

I have an 88 IROC Z and I considered both pro and sportlines. What Im looking for is a lowered stance (it just looks cooler!) but with a reasonable ride quality (as it is my daily driver). I will be going with the Sportlines.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM

Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 V8 LG4
Transmission: 5 SPD

I have using Pro-Kit for 4 years now... very happy with the look, performance and comfort... But never used sportline though.. I have two Trans Ams. One with stock (Gray) and the other with Eibach Spring( Black) have side by side pictures, if you want to see the difference.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pict...ictureid=43117

Last edited by joy5484; 09-19-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

I've had both, Eibach Pro Kits on my 1987 LT Camaro with 15" TT2 wheels and Monroe Sensa Junk shocks and struts. And the Sportlines which are currently on my 1989 IROC-Z, with Koni Yellows and full UMI Suspension.

I liked the Pro Kits, however it didn't seem to give me the drop I was looking for. Ride was nice, bounced when hitting a hard bump but that was the struts not doing their job. Not a bad spring... I think it would be better with a 17" Wheel.

The Sportlines are awesome, mean stance and ride firm. My car does not bounce, at all. It handles better than my 2001 SS Camaro, but of course I have a full UMI suspension to include caster, camber plates, SFC's, Tubular panhard bar and LCA's. I would like a better ride, but before I can really say they are too harsh I need to play with the adjustment on my Koni shocks and Struts. The ride quality reminds me of a C6 corvette, firm but not rough.

Attached is a pic of my IROC with stock wheels to show what how much the Sportlines drop the ride height. I can tell its lowered, as the front fender sets over the tires.
Attached Thumbnails Eibach Pro Kit vs Sportline springs?-img_128351552394058.jpeg  

Last edited by utfan01ss; 10-10-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 AM

I really like the handling and stance the Sportlines give! What do you think of the before and after pics?
Attached Thumbnails Eibach Pro Kit vs Sportline springs?-before-loering.jpg   Eibach Pro Kit vs Sportline springs?-after-lowering.jpg