Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

tire sticking out more than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA Trans Am
Engine: HSR 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
tire sticking out more than the other?

Alright guys so I've got a question. On my passenger side the tire sticks out a good amount more than the other side. My alignment is fine its been aligned twice since ive had it and neither places noticed my frame being bent. Ive tried to measure the engine compartment and the measurements appear to be equal so no apparent bending from those measurments. Car drives straight and doesn't pull or anything. The car has been in a accident before on the passenger side door post. I had the car fixed by a body shop they put on their frame rack. Stock wheels and tire sizes. Its not causing driveability issues or anything its just mainly throwing off the look of my car lol kinda annoying to me but not many other people notice it.

What is causing this? And has anyone else fixed this?
Attached Thumbnails tire sticking out more than the other?-imag0855.jpg   tire sticking out more than the other?-imag0854.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: tire sticking out more than the other?

Are both tires on FRONT rims? It is stamped on the back side of the rim. Probably not the problem. A REAR rim mounted on the front often rubs on the tie rod end unless it's been shimmed. If you were talking about the rear tire sticking out more on one side, I'd suggest getting an adjustable PHB (panhard brace) to center the rear end. Especially common problem if the car has been lowered.

Lon
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

"The tire" isn't "sticking out".

That's the actual CAR. Wherever it is, if the car drives right, it's in the right place.

THE TRIM (fender and other sheet metal) is bent IN.

Kinda like, if the picture on the wall isn't parallel to the floor, and you don't like the way it looks but the floor is level, you don't alter the floor to match the picture; you straighten the picture. Same deal here. Hang the sheet metal so it's straight on THE CAR.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Car is not lowered and both front rims are on the fronts lol I work at a tire shop that was the first thing I looked at lol car is not lowered but does need the springs and struts replaced it kinda sits with thr driver side lower than the passenger side

Sofakingdom is there a way to confirm that the sheet metal is bent in? The car has always looked like this since I bought the new fender and door for it I cant really remember if the tire was sticking out like that before I got the door post fixed and the new door and fender put on. But I never thought about that lol
Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 T/A

Mine had the same look,same side,I got a unbent lower brace from a seller on here and bent the fender bottom back out,looks fine now.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM

How much was that lower brace? And where did you bend the fender back out at?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 T/A

There is a guy in mass-1989irocz355,something like that,I think the brace was 5 bucks or so,he's a great guy for parts.

I just pushed it out right where the g/f meets the fender,till it looked "right"
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM

So there was nothing physically wrong with anything on the cars suspension or frame? Lol ill see if anyone around here as a brace first. So thats the only spot where you had to unbend?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28 T-tops
Engine: 350 GM Crate

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have the same issue. Where is this so called brace located? Do I need to pull the fender to see it?
I have this same issue, accident damage from po and tire sticks out a little past fender.
thanks!!
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

If the car's been wrecked, first things to check are, that the front wheels are both on the front and the rears are both on the rear, if you have wheels where those are different, like 16" IROC wheels (your 83 wheels were all 4 the same); and if the Panhard bar is still straight. You can also check to make sure that the inside of the wheels is the same distance from the "frame", which is of course the STRUCTURE of the car. The best point to measure to is the control arm mounting point.

I don't know of any "brace" on the rear... there are some on the front but I've never seen any such on the rear. Back there, it's just a matter of making the fenders balloon out equally. Not very high-tech or anything I'm afraid. Kind of like, you don't jack your house's foundation to make the drapes hang equally on both sides of a window; you make sure the STRUCTURE is straight, THEN you adjust the trim parts to match it.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by Dholland17
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have the same issue. Where is this so called brace located? Do I need to pull the fender to see it?
I have this same issue, accident damage from po and tire sticks out a little past fender.
thanks!!
You can always get a (long) tape measure and take some measurements.

But knowing that there's collision damage kind of throws a monkey wrench into the mix. You're going to have to trust that what ever body shop that did the frame straightening did it right.