Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

EIBACH SPORT PLUS sportline springs and sway bar kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 GTA 350 hardtop
EIBACH SPORT PLUS sportline springs and sway bar kit

Hello,
I need a little bit of advice. My car is a '89 GTA 350 hardtop with some 100k miles. With the exception of a catback and hi-flow cat the car is mostly stock.
last season the front left sway bar links broke. On closer inspection I noticed that the strut on the same side is busted too (wondering if the demise of one didn't lead to the demise of the other..).
I will add a wonder bar and was thinking about two options for this:
1) Change only the broken parts: 4 struts/shocks (KYB GR2 maybe? they do seem cheap like all hell), maybe new strut mounts, 1LE end links). I want to keep the car original so subframe connectors are out of the question.
2)Now I see this eibach kit with matched sway bars and sportline springs;-)
SPORT PLUS
I like the fact that the parts are matched. I only need to add a set of quality shocks(koni yellow most likely). Do I have other choice than bilstein sport or hd and koni yellow? Is anything in between the KYB GR2 and these simply so-so?
I understand I'll need an adjustable panhard rod.
Are camber/caster plates mandatory for the drop the sportlines will do in front(1,6")? Also, are adjustable torque arm and lca relocation brackets mandatory for the 1,3" drop in the rear?
I kinda wish for progressive rate springs, at least in the back but ground control weight jacks make sense too.
My goal for this car is to make it handle tight, but if this implies droping 4k on replacing a whole bunch of suspension bits and cuting and welding, this is out of question. Car has to stay mostly original only with bolt ons added as the original crap bites the dust.
My concern here is that with the exception of this eibach kit I don't know of another kit with matched components... Plus bilstein does not have a sport strut, only sport shock for the back. I understand that u chose sport for lowered suspension and HD for heavy duty replacement...
Can't believe these cars have so little aftermarket support in terms of matched components;-)
Aaity sorry for the long ranty post any comment is appreciated;-)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: EIBACH SPORT PLUS sportline springs and sway bar kit

You have the same car I do.

You don't need new sway bars. Your GTA will already have the 32/24 mm front and rear sway bars.

KYB GR2 are good struts/shocks. Bilstein and Koni are much better struts/shocks. I recommend Koni to anybody wishing for the best handling, as well as best bang for the buck when it comes to suspension. Just doing Koni alone will result in a tremendous improvement in how the car handles and feels. There is no down side to putting Koni in there.

Are you sure you want to go with the Sportline springs? Sportline are good for looks. But not so good for comfort and handling. The Pro-Kit springs will handle and ride better than the Sportline.......KYB GR2 are good for stock height springs. Decent for Pro-Kit springs. But for Sportline, you're just going to wear out the GR2 struts/shocks that much faster. With Koni, you can run them at any height and not worry about wearing them out.

You can get away with Pro-Kit springs without needing an adjustable PHB. But with Sportline springs, you really will need to get an adjustable PHB.

I would wait on LCA relocation brackets and adjustable torque arm. Do those last if you want.

The most improvement in suspension will come from Koni struts/shocks. The springs don't make as much of a difference as you think they will. I run my Koni with stock height springs. It handles VERY well and still has good ride comfort.

I still think subframe connectors would be a good idea. The Spohn SFC are invisible. Especially if you get them in black. They will be hidden behind the rubber piece that runs below your doors.

The caster/camber plates aren't necessary. But highly recommended when you run better struts like Koni or Bilstein. They allow all the force to be run through the struts alone. Rather than being wobbly from worn out stock rubber caster/camber plates. They also allow you to get a better higher performance alignment.

Ground Control Weight Jacks are nice pieces. They allow you to get the "exact" height you want and set the spring rate that you want. But they are expensive. I would spend money on other things first, before going to those.

My recommended list in order for you?

1) Wonderbar (easy and cheap, takes 5 minutes)
2) Koni struts/shocks. (Do the rear springs at the same time as rear shocks)
3) New sway bar bushings.
4) Front springs....make sure you get what you want.
5) Subframe connectors.
6) Caster/Camber plates + high performance alignment
7) PHB and LCA

Optional: Global West Del-Alum bushings for the front A-arms. I had these put in at the same time as the front springs.

Take your time doing the above. You don't need everything immediately. If all you do is the Wonderbar, new Koni struts, and some sway bar bushings, you will have a gigantic improvement in how the car feels.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
Are you sure you want to go with the Sportline springs? Sportline are good for looks. But not so good for comfort and handling. The Pro-Kit springs will handle and ride better than the Sportline.......KYB GR2 are good for stock height springs. Decent for Pro-Kit springs. But for Sportline, you're just going to wear out the GR2 struts/shocks that much faster. With Koni, you can run them at any height and not worry about wearing them out.
I will also add that GR2 with Sportline springs will ride hard. Performance will be OK. But for the $250-300 that the Sportline springs cost, you could spend that money on Koni struts/shocks with stock springs instead and get much better handling as well as a comfier ride. The GR2 just aren't designed for lowered cars.

You might be wondering why the Sportline springs would handle worse than Pro-Kit if the Sportline are the lower springs.

Pro Kit: 714 lb/in linear front 1 inch lower front
109/177 lb/in progressive rear 1 inch lower rear

Sportline: 700 lb/in linear front 1.6 inch lower front
80/137 lb/in progressive rear 1.3 inch lower rear

Notice how the rear springs on the Sportline are actually softer? Eibach purposely designs them softer to use the bumpstops as part of your suspension. Bumpstops are what you give you a harsh stiff suspension. Old worn out rear shocks will hit the bump stops frequently.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM

thank you so much for taking your time to answer in such detail;-)
I like the pro-kit already better;-)
your plan sounds awesome.
I would still need to hold out for subframes... I was originally eyeballing the alstons, but here where I live I may run into trouble if the car ever needs to pass a technical inspection. I hope to keep the car indefinitely, then maybe my 5yr old son will want it;-)
so it needs to be relatively original and "registrable"
thanks again;-)
now to find/shake that $$$tree$$$

PS: forgot about bumpstops... do I need them?
also what wheel spacers could be used to push these wheels out a little to make them flush with the fender?
or run front wheels in the back and use spacers only in the front?
what about the bilsteins HD? which has better warranty/are rebuildable? I don't care much about adjustability, I'm more set it and forget it
ty again

Last edited by johndinu; 04-01-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC Camaro (RHD)
Engine: 350 ci L98 SBC
Transmission: T700
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW, Disk, Posi-traction

Eibach don't sell sway bar kits for third-gens any more.

A better option would be to just get your old ones powder coated and buy a new set of polyurethane bushings.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM

yes indeed eibach discontinued their sway bars.

does anybode know any specifics for the firehawk t/a's?
I kinda remember few had a track pack and fully caged and had F40 brakes (yup ferrari)
what about shocks/springs, etc?
ty;-)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM

Aaity, I finished installing the prokits in the front and koni gr2's with new insulators, founders camber plates, moog problem solver ball joints, new moog bar end links and moog sway bar bushings. Bounced the car and seem to bounce quite a bit .
I would have expected to bounce less.... I have to align it and drive it but I fear the shock is under dampened... I may need to cough up the mula and get the koni yellows or bilsteins like everyone suggests.
Anyone else ran the prokits with the gr2's then changed to a better shock and notice a day and night improvement?
I have the gas-a-just in the back...
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
My recommended list in order for you?

1) Wonderbar (easy and cheap, takes 5 minutes)
2) Koni struts/shocks. (Do the rear springs at the same time as rear shocks)
3) New sway bar bushings.
4) Front springs....make sure you get what you want.
5) Subframe connectors.
6) Caster/Camber plates + high performance alignment
7) PHB and LCA

I was wondering about the performance alignment specs:
I have found this:
https://www.thirdgen.org/suggested-front-end-alignment
Is the suggested street setting a good place to start?
Caster********** Camber********* Toe Total************************ (deg)*********** (deg)*********** (in)********************** L***** R******** L******* R
Street********** +4*** +4.5****** -.5***** -.5******* 3/32
I like to take fast a corner and drift it now and then, but my car won't see any racing.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Just to gove an update: car runs awesome with the following new parts:
wonderbar (top down)
gr2 struts
pro-kit springs and new moog insulators
new sway bar bushings and end links (moog)
founders camber plates (aggresive street allignment)
in th back I've put gas-a-just shocks and founders off the car adjustable phb (rod end and poly bushing mounted towards the body)
I have also replaced all steering components (except the rag joint) and ball joints all moog, took off the steering box to adjust and got the spohn tie rod adjusters.
also replaced the front bearings
car rides like new-or better-, the stance is awesome. well worth the effort.
the sloppiness in steering is all gone and it just intoxicates your senses with all the feedback.
I will most likely add subframes (founders may develop one) and after that koni yellows.
thanks everyone for the invaluable advice and help;-)