Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

I cant take it anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant take it anymore.

ok so I am at the point that driving my 1992 Camaro 350 TPI with 138,000 on it has become annoying. I feel like I am driving drunk and constantly making steering corrections. So its come time to fix the problem. should I stay with a new steering box? I want the best one available? I would spend the money and time to put in a rack and pinion but can this be done without changing to an aftermarket K member? Back to the steering box idea do I have to change anything else with the box such as pitman arm? Different pump? thanks guys just trying to start my research.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi
Re: I cant take it anymore.

Start by checking the rag joint/tie rods/ball joints/spindle bearings/etc. Make sure all that is good before you get to the steering box itself.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM

yes I have checked all that already, sorry...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Car: 1988 Firbird formula 350
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Nine Bolt

Don't forget your front and rear control arm bushings. The rear bushings especially can cause rear "axle steer" when you go over shallow humps or dips or uneven road surfaces, can feel like a front steering problem when it's not. At 138,xxx miles, they could be wearing out, worth checking out anyway.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

So is there actually play in the box?

Could also be alignment - toe, camber or caster, - or possible cracked frame rail? What's it doing - not self centreing, or changing direction by itself?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 AM

if I am going on a straight road I can wiggle the steering wheel back and forth ALOT and the car does not move. Sometimes if I hit descent bumps the car with just jump in a certain direction. its annoying. I am looking to fix this problem but I want to upgrade the steering feel as much as possible. I have an rx8 also and man I love the tight steering feel. I know the Camaro will never be as good but I would love to get it close.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

That description reminds me of when I had the rag joint going out.

Does just the steering wheel "flop" or the whole column, like...moving the entire column? If so..... https://www.thirdgen.org/steeringcolumn
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM

no just the steering wheel
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Considering its 20 years old, the first thing you need to do is rebuilt your suspension.

New bushings, tie rods, ball joints, shocks/struts, and an alignment.

The Rag joint is a known problem. Replace it with an Astro shaft. A couple guys on here sell them.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

Hahaha.. Wow.. This is exactly my problem too.. Guess what though? I have a Lee 670 Delphi steering box (supposed to handle and feel like a R&P) and it was amazing when I first got it, then after a few months it got loose.. 2 years later, I decided this past weekend to fix it.

I put the wheels as straight as I could, didn't bother to jack up the car, was on flat surface, then sprayed WD40 on the bolt on top of the box, put the allen key in the hole on top, then with the allen key in there I loosened the bolt (counterclockwise) about 2-3 full turns as I held the allen key in the same spot, then I TIGHTENED the allen key (clockwise), as tight as I could get it, and I backed off about 90 degrees or so and the steering feels MUCH MUCH MUCH tighter especially driving on regular roads at 30-40mph.. BUT when I go on the highway and drive up to 60mph + it's MUCH tighter but still SLIGHTLY loose at center (still a slight dead spot). I feel like adjusting another 45 degrees tighter than what it is now to see if that will make it perfect, or atleast closer to perfect but without binding.. I was able to tighten the whole box almost a full turn with the allen key before backing it off 90 degrees, so there was definitely a looseness in there. I recommend doing this free quick tightening tip, but be careful not to overtighten as you can screw up the box. It's better to be a bit loose, than a bit too tight.

Edit: Not sure of allen key size, but the wrench is a 5/8 wrench..
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Yeah I hear messing with the box and can very, very dangererous so I don't think I am going to do that. I have already replaced springs and struts and now I am going to do swaybars. anyone have a pic of this ragjoint?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM

when you bought the lee box did you have to change or upgrade anything else? Pump, pitman arm etc.... Did you happen to call Lee and ask them about the issue. I would want my money back if in two months the thing went loose. Maybe I should go with a different box then lee?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Axle/Gears: 3.42

have a friend wiggle the steering wheel with the car parked and the engine off.. look for any point where one side is moving more than the other- steering shaft, rag joint, steering box, Pitman arm to center link, idler arm to center link, tie rods to center link, tie rods to spindle, spindle to control arm.. also, if you can grab anything and wiggle it around without too much force, it's worn out... sometimes you can tighten up the steering a little bit for a little while by hitting all the grease zerks with a grease gun, but if things are worn to the point where packing grease in there tightens it up then it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Axle/Gears: 2.77

^^^

The dead spot is caused by play somewhere between the steering wheel and the road wheels. Find out what is worn out and replace that, before randomly throwing money at a new steering box (unless that's the problem of course ). Also check the steering wheel itself - I got caught out once by loose rivets between the wheel and boss causing play.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

My Lee box did wear out fast, this was surprising to me, but when I called Lee I spoke to him directly and he offered to fix it for free, but shipping it to cali is a big deal and alot of downtime for the car too, etc. So he told me to adjust the top screw and I did just that and it's alot better now.. Just drove it this morning and it's slightly loose on center still and it's noticeable at higher speeds, so I'm going to tighten it again 1/8 of a turn at a time now and test that until it becomes perfect.

For my looseness problem, I did a full check: I don't have a ragjoint, I have a flaming river steering shaft setup with solid ujoints, and that's tight. When I turn the steering wheel the shaft is tight and turns with the wheel, there is a delay between the box and the pitman arm which leads me to believe that the box was the problem. After the pitman arm everything is tight, aligned, etc.

It doesn't require a new box, but maybe you can adjust yours and tighten it.. If my new one got loose after a few months, then yours and many other people's boxes could be loose as well and maybe even a 1/4 or 1/2 turn could be all you need to tighten it up .. There is a procedure to do it right, and yes you can screw it up if you do it wrong, but I tried it and it worked well for me.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM

thanks for the info. I will check out all the things everyone has recommended.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '84 Berlinetta
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: BT0D stage 3 w/22oo
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc

There are two adjustments to any steering gear; when you adjust the top bolt with a locknut, you are changing the mesh of the output gear to the worm gear. The other adjustment that needs to be made changes the end play on the worm gear, if it is not adjusted together you can cause a dangerous bind that may damage the worm gear (I have seen the ball bearings in one crack). To change the worm gear end play there will either be a collar nut on the steering gear input side, or you must remove the "front" cover (oppisite end from steering input shaft) and there will be an adjustment sleeve or collar beneath. Adjusting these in tandum will give you a tight but not binding steering gear box.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

Originally Posted by rx8camaro
ok so I am at the point that driving my 1992 Camaro 350 TPI with 138,000 on it has become annoying. I feel like I am driving drunk and constantly making steering corrections. So its come time to fix the problem. should I stay with a new steering box? I want the best one available? I would spend the money and time to put in a rack and pinion but can this be done without changing to an aftermarket K member? Back to the steering box idea do I have to change anything else with the box such as pitman arm? Different pump? thanks guys just trying to start my research.
What your describing sounds exactly like what i had last fall. Put the front of your car on ramps and have somebody slightly turn the steering wheel back and forth you will see what is moving or is loose. What I found was the infamous cracked frame behind the steering gearbox. The steering gearbox would move back and forth. REAL SCARY!! It cost about $300 to have a body shop repair it. If thats what you find do a search. How to repair it is on here. No matter what you find buy and install a wonder bar.

Your entire steering should all be solid without play. Anything that is loose needs replaced. It's frequently recommended on here to replace all your steering linkage at once instead of piece by piece because it will all be new so you can forget about it and so you don't have to align it everytime you replace a piece. One and done style repair.

Good luck!!