Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

how to get a nicer ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: tbi 350
Transmission: th700
Axle/Gears: stock
how to get a nicer ride?

hey guys

So I have an 88 Camaro and I am going to be swapping a 5.3 in it soon. I was wondering what I could do to make it handle better and ride smoother.
Also I am planning to put a 6l80e behind the 5.3 and I've read that with the six speed manuals that it causes body flex problems and stuff I don't know how an automatic six speed will be. Also I'd rather not pay a fortune for the mods too so yah there's that too.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: how to get a nicer ride?

Add subframe connectors.

Replace all the wore-out, decrepit, sagging, used-up stock stuff: springs, shocks/struts, control arm bushings (in the rear it makes more sense to just replace the entire CA), sway bar end links & bushings, etc.

Not sure how the # of speeds in a transmission would impact body flex; never heard anything of the kind before.

Also not sure about the "fortune" crap... parts cost what they cost, and they don't listen to a bunch of ... that. Granted, you can pay anywhere from like $15 a shock for total crap like Gabriel, to $300 apiece for Koni yellows; the general idea is to get what's appropriate to your goals, without either going overboard or cheeeeeeeeping out. For most people who aren't looking for the last couple of milliseconds on a slalom course or the like, something in-between is usually adequate. Kinda follow the rule that if you can't tell the difference, don't pay the difference; but if the difference matters to you, then shut up about the cost and just buy it.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Handle better, and ride smoother, are not usually two things that go together with these old cars.

If you want middle of the road on both then do like sofa said and replace all the bushings and other suspension goodies with factory replacements. Then you'll have a car that handles well, and rides like it did in 1988(mostly).

If you want better handling you can get stiffer shocks, poly bushings, etc. etc. but its going to ride rough.

Another suggestion is tire size, low-profile tires look cool but they also don't absorb as much, running 15" or 16" rims with good profiles will smooth out the ride.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

Originally Posted by ryan thomas

I am going to be ... I was wondering ... I am planning to ... I'd rather not pay.

What do you guys think?

Once you get that 6L80e in there (post pics), then I'll help you.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad

Once you get that 6L80e in there (post pics), then I'll help you.

Are you challenging me? Lol
Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM

When I said I didn't want to pay a fortune for the suspension I meant like 2000+$ in the suspension alone, I know the engine is going to be expensive 3000ish for the engine and trans and then Ive got loads small stuff. I mentioned that point because I know there's new k members and stuff you can get out there and they're if I remember right, pretty expensive.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Wasn't meant as a challenge, but if it motivates you - sure. Your dreams/wishes are not supported by reality (5k budget) - pretty common, please don't take offense. Most spend money on power, then have little left for suspension or even brakes. IMO - suspension improvements have the most "fun" effect (how a car handles). Your wishes for motor and trans supports this assessment.
2k is not a lot - new dampahhs and rubbahhs plus stock replacements. That's my advice.
Post pics of the 6L80e install?
Good Luck, I mean that sincerely. You need more $$ for an LS swap and supporting mods.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM

yah this car is sort of my baby and my first car so for this whole swap and mods to achieve the ultimate level of awesomeness its got like a 15 to 20k budget. and I will definitely post pics when I do it probably a build thread I'm rebuilding a 2.2 for my s10 then I'm going to sell my gmc jimmy that I'm driving now and that should get the ball rolling.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The only way to get a nicer ride quality is to either reduce unsprung weight, increase sprung weight, or both. Period.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro convertible
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6l80
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 3.31 torsen t2r

I have done the 5.3 6l80 swap and have put alot of miles on my 1991 camaro convertible
I really like it. I posted pics when I did the swap
Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by kestell123
I have done the 5.3 6l80 swap and have put alot of miles on my 1991 camaro convertible
I really like it. I posted pics when I did the swap
Nice work, and a lot of it. Any pics of the exhaust around it?

The OP has wishes and a small budget. I don't want to discourage anyone, rather encourage. Counting the cost before beginning is essential to completion and satisfaction. Most of us, myself included, took a long-term approach and completed in stages.
That is why I believe suspension and brakes are the place to start, gives the best enjoyment/feel/control/SAFETY, and keeps the interest going on the project(s). It maximizes the strength of the platform - handling. It keeps the car on the road and builds excitement every time you are behind the wheel. If one cheaps out here, it's likely they will continue to do so, and maybe not even finish - IMHO. Unsprung weight is not cheap!; but it brings the car alive.

Money limits us all. Resist the desire for more power (at least, for now). Everyone does not have to make the choices that I did, but please re-think your priorities and take a long-term approach that will build pride/satisfaction and help you reach your goals. That's my advice, FWIW. I would like to see you succeed.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Start with shocks and springs, this is probably the upgrade that will give you the "biggest bang for your buck".

Then if your looking for upgraded handling(which will give you a firmer ride) start replacing the factory stamped steel components that have rubber bushings to components with a stiffer bushing or one that will give you articulation.

Craig
Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro convertible
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6l80
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 3.31 torsen t2r

I have pics of the exaust off the car . It was off while I had the engine back out to put the oil pressure relief valve in the pan. 2.5 thru the bullet cats 3" after