Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Steering issues on my B4C and suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS B4C
Engine: 5.7 TPI Crate Motor
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42
Steering issues on my B4C and suspension questions

I just bought a 1991 B4C I have driven many third and fourth gens. The car has been sitting for at least 5 years and the tires are dry rotted I ordered the BFG Comp A/S's and I am waiting for them to come in. When I am driving it seems as if there is a dead spot till I turn the wheel where the top spoke of the wheel is at the 1:00 position if I am going left and 11:00 position if I'm making a right. There also seems to be a shimmy every once and a while. Could this be the tires or a tie rod? If it's a tie rod do the B4C's have a specific part or is it the same as a Z28? Are there any suspension parts that are specific to a B4C? I understand that the B4C shared many suspension components with the 1LE would I have to look for those parts?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Steering issues on my B4C and suspension questions

Steering and suspension parts are all the same on all these cars. 82-92. B4C, Z28, RS, IROC, Berlinetta, Trans Am, SE, ... doesn't matter.

Only differences are in soft/wear parts (springs, shocks, bushings) and a brace in the rear control arms on certain cars; and of course, sway bar diameters.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Steering and suspension parts are all the same on all these cars. 82-92. B4C, Z28, RS, IROC, Berlinetta, Trans Am, SE, ... doesn't matter.

Only differences are in soft/wear parts (springs, shocks, bushings) and a brace in the rear control arms on certain cars; and of course, sway bar diameters.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Without looking up every single part in the catalog, this is a bit of a generalization or best guess... In other words, I've looked before but right now I'm not going to take the time to look again because I'm lazy...

The B4C is just your typical Z28 with an RS body. The only thing shared with the 1LE that isn't shared with the typical FE2 Z28 is the front brakes. So sayeth the General.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

Dont forget the steering bix is the close ratio one in the b4c like in the irocs. They are different then the ones in the rs camaros
Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tealman92
Dont forget the steering bix is the close ratio one in the b4c like in the irocs. They are different then the ones in the rs camaros
Yes, and no.

You can break down thirdgen suspensions into three basic categories - FE1 = Soft, F41 = Medium, and FE2 = Hard. F41 is pretty much the standard issue Z28 suspension, could be had on the RS with the V8. FE2 is the standard Iroc/WS6 Firebird suspension, optional on the Z28. The better steering gear was used on both F41 and FE2 cars.

So you can have an RS with the better steering box. All of them produced in 91-92 with 16" wheels actually.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drew
Yes, and no.

You can break down thirdgen suspensions into three basic categories - FE1 = Soft, F41 = Medium, and FE2 = Hard. F41 is pretty much the standard issue Z28 suspension, could be had on the RS with the V8. FE2 is the standard Iroc/WS6 Firebird suspension, optional on the Z28. The better steering gear was used on both F41 and FE2 cars.

So you can have an RS with the better steering box. All of them produced in 91-92 with 16" wheels actually.

I have a question regarding some of the parts that are out there. For example, Struts and shocks, I haven't noticed any different part numbers out there so if I buy some KYB GBX's would they be close to the specs of an FE1 or F41? Or do I have to step up to some Koni sports to have the same specs as an F41? From what I remember GTA's and T/A's had softer suspensions and bigger sway bars to make up for the softness. I don't remember how the Formulas where set up. I would think that a manufacturer of struts and shocks (or any replacement parts) for a 30 year old line of cars would average out the specs and produce the FE2 components as standard replacement parts.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I would think that a manufacturer of struts and shocks (or any replacement parts) for a 30 year old line of cars would average out the specs
That's more or less what goes on... except to the extent that customer expectations, or surrounding parts such as tires, have changed over the time interval. They're not really based on duplicating the exact properties of some one option level for a particular car line.

The way shocks & struts seem to go is, each mfr picks a price/performance/comfort compromise point (or maybe a couple) that they think their "sweet spot" in the target market is.

To get stock replacement specs for ANY showroom stock packages, the cheeeeeeeepest crappiest shock you can find will do just fine. Back in the day GM was totally NOT into "quality" in parts like that. For example, I recall not too long before these cars appeared, that GM was buying tires BY THE POUND ... yes that's right, we want xxxx pounds of tires this year, lowest bid will win the order.

Likewise, ANY of the "performance" oriented ones will make the original at ANY option level seem like grandma's minivan by comparison.

Bottom line is, EFFFF what option level you have, and just buy what YOU want for how YOU use the car and what YOU feel like is appropriate to YOU. You can take the sloppiest 6-cyl ... young female "image" driver ... grocery cart and turn it into something that will make the 1LE cars seem like blubbering land barges, with no more "mods" than springs, shocks, and sway bar bushings. (maybe have to add a rear bar to some of the 6-cyl cars) All that stuff is totally wore out anyway, might as well take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

The trouble I see with shocks and struts, is that your garden variety Monroe-Matic Gay-brielle Gas Charged hoopty crap can't always effectively dampen the harsh spring rates of an FE2 car. The cheap crap from the local Vato-zone will probably ride rougher than Koni's set to the softest setting.

KYB has a generally good reputation as the entry level performance shock/strut. Bilstein and Koni both have had good reputations, but Bilstein dropped their products that would fit a thirdgen recently. Not many choices available really.