Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Airbags... why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airbags... why or why not?

For the past few months, I’ve been trying to find the perfect 3rd gen (firebird) for myself, and during that time, I’ve done quite a bit of research on stuff I’d like to do to the car when I find it, I’ve found two... a Maui blue 88 t/a, or a red 89 formula. The t/a is my favorite color combo, and is decent, but the formula is really clean. Personally, I think these cars look amazing slammed, wide, and track oriented. For the car I’d be building, for the most part, it would be a street car, but might see the occasional drift/drag/auto-x event, and have killer handling. I really like the idea of airbags(adjustable, able to go way low), but everything I’ve read on them here is rather old and bashed on them for performance driving. Today, there are companies like accuair and such who use bags in racing, and claim a proper setup will feel no different or maybe even better than a coil spring. For a 3rd gen being daily driven with the occasional race event, would bags tighten up the car? I want the car to handle well. If not bags, what would you recommend for the best adjustability, greatest handling and greatest potential for going low?
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Airbags... why or why not?

For that Sooper Slammed Hella Flush look on a budget, you really can't beat the Vatozone lowering kit.

Sorry, but as often as a stock ride height thirdgen scrubs (drive ways, speed bumps, run off drains, etc) most approaches to lowering are just going to tear the car up faster.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
For that Sooper Slammed Hella Flush look on a budget, you really can't beat the Vatozone lowering kit.

Sorry, but as often as a stock ride height thirdgen scrubs (drive ways, speed bumps, run off drains, etc) most approaches to lowering are just going to tear the car up faster.
im not going for super low, I still want the car to be functional, but for handlings sake, lowering the car helps. That’s part of why I was looking at bags as they would help keep the car useable, while still being able to go way low should I want. I’m just not to sure on how the chassis reacts to them. Anyone else?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

That's why you need to read up a bit. The problem with air ride is that to lower the car, you need to lower the pressure in the bags, making them too soft to do much for cornering. They are really not ideal for this, while it can be made to work with massive sway bars and moderate pressure in the bags, it will never work as well as a proper spring
Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Sorry, sometimes I forget that sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet. Find the car, make sure it has the FE2 suspension and good 245/50R16 tires, and just drive it a bit before deciding to reinvent the wheel. It's hard to beat the handling of a stock thirdgen, and they already sit VERY low. The standard upgrades will improve the handling beyond what most driver's will ever use.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Sorry, sometimes I forget that sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet. Find the car, make sure it has the FE2 suspension and good 245/50R16 tires, and just drive it a bit before deciding to reinvent the wheel. It's hard to beat the handling of a stock thirdgen, and they already sit VERY low. The standard upgrades will improve the handling beyond what most driver's will ever use.
My comment was more directed at the OP, so hopefully I didn't offend you.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
That's why you need to read up a bit. The problem with air ride is that to lower the car, you need to lower the pressure in the bags, making them too soft to do much for cornering. They are really not ideal for this, while it can be made to work with massive sway bars and moderate pressure in the bags, it will never work as well as a proper spring
Well I did already know this, but between a few threads ( https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...ged-third.html ) , as well as this article,
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...ir-suspension/

I figure, since the car will mostly be a daily/ fun car, it might be possible to get similar, although not better preformance from bags. In that article, the bags are about a mph slower in a tight slalom, but retain great adjustability over an upgraded spring/shock combo. I was looking at weight jacks, but Eventually I want to go to a widebody and full tubular front suspension, or maybe even go insane and widen the front suspension like the user morrow(the grey widebody rs that was on thesmokingtire), but thats for much later on.

Pretty much I'm tied up on bags or weight jacks, and I've read both good and bad on each and can't decide.
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:15 PM

That's my plan to start, but I do want to eventually go a bit nuts with the car, built destroked ls (8500+ rpm), full suspension, widebody, etc. I do eventually want to make it much more capable, but for the time being, I want to make it a comfortable, yet still capable for the occasional racing event.
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
My comment was more directed at the OP, so hopefully I didn't offend you.
Nope, I just re-read my reply and thought it could actually be mistaken as endorsing clamping stock springs.

Originally Posted by Want_a_v8
That's my plan to start, but I do want to eventually go a bit nuts with the car, built destroked ls (8500+ rpm), full suspension, widebody, etc. I do eventually want to make it much more capable, but for the time being, I want to make it a comfortable, yet still capable for the occasional racing event.
Thanks!

It sounds like you are setting yourself up for a great disappointment. But if you can afford it, more power to you.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 PM

It sounds like you are setting yourself up for a great disappointment. But if you can afford it, more power to you.
Why would you say that? My dad had an Iroc vert that I loved, It's a fairly capable chassis as is, throwing some more power, and better suspension bits would only improve it right? Hence the reason I'd want to build one.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but may I ask what you mean? Also if you did not see, I believe I asked in the original post for any other suggestions on what to do over bags.
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 2012 LS9
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 60 3.54:1

Do yourself a favor & look a the pics of cars with lowering kits to see what height you like...

Bags are good for looking cool & putting the car on the ground to park & then raising it to drive away. I haven't found too many setups to actually handle with race car type results. Besides your car is only aligned at 1 height, meaning as you alter the height & drive it, you can have some bad effects on your tire wear.

Weight jacks are great, but after you find the height you like, they rarely get touched again. You can pick a good set of springs & play with a few isolator pads to get it where you like it & overall save yourself a few hundred $$.

Now if you think you will be swapping springs to really tune the car for various track duties, then the jacks may be of help, but for most of us, picking a proven combination to meet our needs will be sufficient.