Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

1989 project help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 project help

Hello. Guys I'm 35 and decided to finally do something with my first car ever a 1989 Camaro RS with a 305TBI auto. 143,000 original Miles. No rust and pretty straight car. Want to start with the suspension. I've already had subframe connectors from BMR welded in. Been looking at hawks third gen. I have a budget and can't just go crazy with the car. It will be a street car looking for something 400 to 500 hp. Probably put a mild big block in it.
Now for suspension I was looking at the 8.8 Rearends that hawks builds. 355 gears with a limited slip. BMR cross member that changes torque arm location, BMR panrod and lower control arms. BMR torque arm. And some factory height Moog springs. Basic kyb shocks and struts. Rebuilding the front end, I'll be using 16x8 rims with probably 245/50/R16 tires. For got to add that I already have a wonderful bar. And new BMR sway bars if necessary. Also would like to coat the bottom side of the car with some undercoating. Any diy undercoating suggestions? Looked at the 10" disc rear brake conversions from hawks as well. Am I on the right track. Any suggestions or things you would do differently. Are adjustabke panhard rod and lower control arm needed for my application.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt
Re: 1989 project help

Welcome to TGO!

The alum LSX's just makes so much sense, but everyone has a right to their choices. With all that weight up front, your going to have to tie down the front end pretty good - big bar and springs. What trans is going behind that BB?
You'll need ride height adjustments - front weight jacks and rear coil-overs. You could go rear weight jacks, but shock tech is better in the new coil-overs and you get some adjustment. Koni yellow struts needed for all that weight control up front for sure, and new shock mounts (Spohn). You just can't skimp on shocks because with stock wheels you won't get optimal rubber (you're sacrificing, here). Dampahs and Rubbahs are Primary - every other piece is just auxiliary support. Don't fret, I'm still on stocks, too (for now). Fitting brakes behind the factories will be a challenge, but doable (likely Wilwood 12.8" 4pot up front).

You better state your budget! That's just a reality with 500hp.

Stock sway bars in different sizes from the JY will do just fine - no need for aftermarket bars. You'll need the 36mm up front for sure, and a couple different ones to experiment with on the rear. Factory Moog springs won't cut it for what you are trying to do.
The BMR pieces you mention are fine (I have the BMR trak pak). No one company makes a full line of optimal parts, so you have to research. Go adjustable whenever you can - you are messing with weight, ride height, and driveline.
As for the Hawk's 8.8, some people like them. No opinion. Do get brakes elsewhere, unless you have the budget to one stop shop with the rear. You could even source used on the rear brakes if you have time - they are not as critical as the fronts.

You are wise to start w/suspension. It gives the most ride improvement/enjoyment of any area on the car. I don't even have to mention SAFETY! I did suspension/brakes FIRST. Drove to the track, raced around the road course with a tired 200k L98, and drove home. Then I did the LSx swap. Do your upgrades in stages that you can afford. Keep the car on the road as much as possible to maximize enjoyment. Add the hp last - you would only need to re-purchase front springs for the heavier BB.

Don't be one of the many who dive in, run out of cash or interest, and sell for pennies on the dollar to vultures who are watching.

Post some pics of the car.

New Brakes/Suspension, Old L98, Original Paint: