Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

How do I know I've gone too far with the steering box adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
How do I know I've gone too far with the steering box adjustment?

I just finished putting in new OEM LCA's and all steering linkages. I had it aligned today and it feels amazing. The steering on center could be tighter but I'm not sure what was normal for these cars. It has new everything (tires, struts, etc). The steering box was rebuilt last year.

Just now on the steering box, I started bringing the allen socket depth setting down an 1/8 of a turn twice and the steering's center response got better each time on the test drive. I just don't want to over do it.

What should I look out for to know I've gone far enough or even might need to back it off?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 players unraced
Engine: LB9
Re: How do I know I've gone too far with the steering box adjustment?

Do some slalom/corners at low speed, 15-20 mph. After you turn let the wheel slide through your hands to return to center. If it's lazy to return or won't return fully to center it is too tight.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Correct, except no Slalom stuff needed, just drive around the block, 10 MPH or so, the steering wheel should pretty much, return to center, as you come out of a neighborhood type 90* turn. I'd check this FIRST, before making the adjustment, to be sure there are not other factors, affecting the designed in "Return To Center" of the steering system.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 AM

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 2012 LS9
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 60 3.54:1

Go in very small increments as you are doing.. The screw should never feel tight or require excessive torque.

As long as it returns to center you are good. Go too tight & you can damage the box.

Remember it will never feel like a modern rack & pinion... I think about this every time I drive my car.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

i dont think the function of it is to actually return the box to center.... more along the lines of adjusting or reducing the backlash in the gear to keep it from wandering while going down the road.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
i dont think the function of it is to actually return the box to center.... more along the lines of adjusting or reducing the backlash in the gear to keep it from wandering while going down the road.
Correct, it's just very important NOT to lose that return to center. If you do, the box is too tight and will fail.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks very much everyone. I noticed that after my alignment the return to center was "heavier" and slower. (-1 camber, 3/32 total toe (.2 deg)). After the adjustment it drags just a little back to center. I'll back it off a little and report back.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, reporting back. Turns out my toe-in was twice too much (I did the calc from inches to degrees wrong). I backed it off a bit and then set out to understand and setup the "saginaw" steering box. This video really helped me see what was going on on. It's pretty simple.

Because the pitman (or sector) shaft gears that engage the steering piston are tapered, the "tighter" the pitman shaft is brought in, the more it can press, like a wedge, down on the sliding steering piston- causing the wear, locking, and slow return to center.

After being able to visualize what was going on, I was able to set the depth, just right by hand and eye.

Basically what I did was expose the rag joint, start the engine, and reach down and turn the rag joint a little from side to side and watched the moving end of the pitman arm. I tightened the arm in first, then backed it out until a tiny movement of the steering shaft did not move the pitman arm but a tiny bit more did.

The steering felt great after that.

Important Things:

1. Because the pitman arm gear teeth are wedged, if it gets overtightened, it may get wedged into the piston. So loosening the shaft adjustment screw might require a little jostling of the steering back and forth to break the wedged gear teeth. That's why its better to go too loose first and then bring it in tighter with 1/8" light turns.
2. Make sure to back the adjustment lock nut out enough so that you can move the adjustment screw easily in for some turns. I did not need to tighten the adjustment lock nut down until I was finished adjusting.