Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Grinding and popping sounds and heavy steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Grinding and popping sounds and heavy steering wheel

Hi guys, my 88 GTA seems to have a heavy steering wheel at low speed (when parking), and after driving for 20 minutes or so, I can hear grinding sounds when I move the steering wheel. I have replaced the center link, idler arm, tie rods and sleeves (all proforged), got an alignment afterwards. That didn't change anything. I am thinking that my PS pump has failed so I am planning to replace it. I am also thinking I may have stress cracks on the frame where the steering box is mounted on. Am I on the right track here? Is there anything else I should be looking at? Should I replace my steering gear box as well?
Old 09-15-2022, 08:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1989 pontiac trans am gta
Engine: tpi 5.7
Transmission: th700r4
Re: Grinding and popping sounds and heavy steering wheel

I would be curious about the feedback on this question from some knowledgeable folks.

I’m experiencing a similar sound from my front suspension and I am planning to change out the control arm bushings, ball joints, and steering components.

Have you checked the wheel bearings? I’m not experiencing the heavy wheel you are, but I definitely heard some sounds out of mine while just driving straight.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by russ89gta
I would be curious about the feedback on this question from some knowledgeable folks.

I’m experiencing a similar sound from my front suspension and I am planning to change out the control arm bushings, ball joints, and steering components.

Have you checked the wheel bearings? I’m not experiencing the heavy wheel you are, but I definitely heard some sounds out of mine while just driving straight.
I haven't checked the wheel bearings, but I don't suspect it's that in my case because the sound I hear is grinding and I only hear it when the car is warmed up and when I turn the steering wheel.
I did a decent amount of research on the site and most guys say it's either the steering pump or cracks in the frame.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

How about, have your assistant sit in the car and turn the wheel and make it make the sound, while you listen under the hood and find the source of the noise.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
How about, have your assistant sit in the car and turn the wheel and make it make the sound, while you listen under the hood and find the source of the noise.
Good point. I did do this, but it seems I can't replicate it unless I'm driving (at least from the testing I've done). I'm even thinking of buying a cheap GoPro and hooking it up near the source of the noise to get a recorded visual while driving.