Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

UMI LCA relocation bracket and shock mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
UMI LCA relocation bracket and shock mount

Hey all, question about UMI control arm relocation bracket affecting the lower shock mount. I recently installed them with koni’s, and since the brackets add thickness to the stock shock mount, it seems there isn’t enough thread on the bolt to properly torque the shock to the mount. I am using a washer behind the nut, but can only crank out 50 ft lbs, as its supposed to be 70 ft lbs if I'm not mistaken? Should I just ditch the washer and use only the nut? Or am I overreacting and just leave it alone…
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:46 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 380 Likes on 292 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: UMI LCA relocation bracket and shock mount

The rear shocks have their own independent mounting brackets on the rear end. Shouldn't have anything to do with the control arm mounts. What am I missing?
Old 06-05-2023, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

When you use these brackets the shock bolt goes through that hole in the 90 degree tab on the lower left of the bracket. I didn't have an issue with the torque of the shock bolt and IMHO 50lbs should be fine. The thing I noticed is now my shock is pushed out slightly and no longer straight up and down. That tab kicks the bottom of the shock out towards the front and maybe that is why your bolt torque is off.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
The rear shocks have their own independent mounting brackets on the rear end. Shouldn't have anything to do with the control arm mounts. What am I missing?
Pictured below for reference. The brackets wrap around the rear end shock mount.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by vinny R
When you use these brackets the shock bolt goes through that hole in the 90 degree tab on the lower left of the bracket. I didn't have an issue with the torque of the shock bolt and IMHO 50lbs should be fine. The thing I noticed is now my shock is pushed out slightly and no longer straight up and down. That tab kicks the bottom of the shock out towards the front and maybe that is why your bolt torque is off.

Right, I’m noticing that it’s slightly off now as well. I guess with the bracket adding thickness as well as a washer, I’d like to see more thread of the shock bolt, but you’re right, 50 lbs should be fine. Just something I was curious about.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by ghost91
Pictured below for reference. The brackets wrap around the rear end shock mount.
I wonder why they did that. Interesting to say the least.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I believe it is to keep the brackets from moving, kinda to lock them in place. The upper bolt becomes a pivot point. That bolt would attach to the fixed mount welded to the axle, no movement. If they just used the 2 bolts the brackets could move front to back slightly under power and braking. It would be more engineering but I wish that tab would come into the backside of the shock bracket. I really don't like the way my shock is no longer vertical.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by vinny R
I believe it is to keep the brackets from moving, kinda to lock them in place. The upper bolt becomes a pivot point. That bolt would attach to the fixed mount welded to the axle, no movement. If they just used the 2 bolts the brackets could move front to back slightly under power and braking. It would be more engineering but I wish that tab would come into the backside of the shock bracket. I really don't like the way my shock is no longer vertical.
Yea you are correct. At first I thought they wouldn't pivot because they utilized two bolts. However, the one bolt is for the LCA, not the bracket so it would pivot without that shock tab.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 241 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

This design is for bolt-on brackets, to help secure them to the axle. Weld-on brackets don't have the shock mount feature.

It's probably common sense, but a "trick" to installing these is to leave all of the nuts and bolts loose until everything is connected. Otherwise, the shock bolt might not get completely through both the bracket and the axle. Get the shock bolt all the way through and tightened-up, then tighten your way up the bracket.

UMI designed the top hole in the bracket slightly larger than the other holes. It's meant to account for lousy tolerances and allow some wiggle room to get everything lined-up and bolted together easier. It doesn't look like it would help much, if at all, but it was the difference between UMI brackets fitting for me and Founders brackets not fitting.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
This design is for bolt-on brackets, to help secure them to the axle. Weld-on brackets don't have the shock mount feature.

It's probably common sense, but a "trick" to installing these is to leave all of the nuts and bolts loose until everything is connected. Otherwise, the shock bolt might not get completely through both the bracket and the axle. Get the shock bolt all the way through and tightened-up, then tighten your way up the bracket.

UMI designed the top hole in the bracket slightly larger than the other holes. It's meant to account for lousy tolerances and allow some wiggle room to get everything lined-up and bolted together easier. It doesn't look like it would help much, if at all, but it was the difference between UMI brackets fitting for me and Founders brackets not fitting.
Yeah, I will say the fitment from UMI is awesome. Just wish Koni would make the lower bolt just a tad longer, but obviously they aren’t accounting for other mods and much.